New ACC Schedule Format Reveal

Do you wish that Clemson was kept as a protected annual rival?

• Yes

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 46 33.6%

• Total voters

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
For me, the joy of college football and what drives my interest is playing teams close in proximity. Losing Clemson every year is a shame. It was a game I looked forward to most every year.

Which schedule would you prefer?

2000: UCF, FSU, Navy, NC State, UNC, Wake Forest, Duke, Clemson, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia
2030: Boston College, Cal, SMU, Wake Forest, Louisville, Miami, Stanford, Syracuse, Georgia
Actually, I like both of those schedules. There's a lot of history (not necessarily personal history) with both of those schedules. Tech v. Cal in the notorious 1929 Rose Bowl with Wrong-way Riegels. the 2000 season was a season of playing everyone in your conference, but 2030 teams are much more storied programs.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
They used to be a gimme game.
As a freshman in 65 my first remberance of us playing duke was high pointed by a frat house near the stadium that had fabricated a giant purple toilet. The toilet had a large paper mache turd that went up and down to a loud flushing sound. Big sign said FLUSH THE DUKIE.
Knew i belonged at Gt

I wasnt a fan of playing duke, but change has come.
What is a Duke? Do you mean Dook? :p

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think someone mentioned this earlier.

If both schools are interested, GT vs Clemson can continue to exist as an out-of-conference game. I understand it's not the same thing, but it's within the control of both schools to make it happen if they believe it's important.

slugboy

Staff member
If we were being smart about it, the criteria for our permanent rivals should be
  • They have a big (enough) fan base to fill our stadium
  • They lose to us—so at least Atlanta is a house of horrors for them
Clearly, the teams that fit the bill are UNC and FSU.

Also, why doesn’t anyone ask for UVA? Is it because Charlottesville is a horror show for us?

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not "not a rivalvry anymore" until you *don't* care if they beat you.

Like, if we'd lost to Auburn in 2003 or 2005, meh, it would've been about the same to me as losing an OOC game to Miami before they joined the ACC. Cause Auburn as a GT rival was wayyy before my time. But think UGA felt that way about 2016? Or would about anytime in the next decade? Nah bro.

"Having a rival" and "enjoying that team sucking" are not mutually exclusive.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I scan the secrant.com forum a good bit (i know it’s a freaking train-wreck) you would be surprised how much GT is brought up on there and how much absolute hate we get from ugag posters. There is no team in this land that they hate losing to more than Tech.
Fans hate losing games they should win. UGA correctly perceives their football program is far superior to GT’s football program. We are rarely competitive with them any more. Sad but true.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
LOL. They. Look at GT as a joke until we beat them. When did that last happen?
Sounds like you think GT is a joke. I assure you that is not a consensus among long time uga fans. I’ve had one fan go so far as to tell me that Tech was the team they feared most, not because we were a good team that year, but because losing to us is such an unbearable thought for the average dog fan.

And I assure you, when we’ve pummeled uga for 3 games in a row, or 5 games in a row, or even 8 games in a row, no Tech fan ever dared to ever say uga was a joke.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
LOL. They. Look at GT as a joke until we beat them. When did that last happen?
But, they don't. They're confident they'll beat anyone right now. But, I guarantee you, losing to GT, even if they make the playoffs, will cost the HC his job. Ask Kirby Smart who uga's biggest rival is. He's already on record with that, and it's not even close.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
My ugag in-laws went to the national championship game last year and they said a “**** Tech” chant started in the fourth quarter. We may be their little brother, but they still hate us. It’s a mutual rivalry. We haven’t sniffed a bowl in years and they are going out of their way to put us down at the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Yeah, they see us as a rival.

Walmart mutts may not care, but actual ugag grads do. They don’t like Tech is still considered the more prestigious of the schools. They want to take it out on us where they know they can be better than us: on the field.

We have only beaten them six times since we won the chip in 1990. That’s absolutely awful, but you better believe if we were able to string together a few wins, you’d see the hate from everyone on that side of things. Hell, in 2017, after we had won two out of three, hate week was the least cordial with my ugag grad friends/family that I remember.

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
From a post game article after we beat uga in 2014:

(Hutson) Mason thought his farewell to Sanford Stadium would be the touchdown pass with only seconds remaining in regulation.
"I thought there for a second it might be the sweetest way to write your story, but it didn't happen," Mason said.

Instead, the interception ruined his day.

"It stinks. You throw a pick against Tech and you have to remember that for the rest of your life," Mason said.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Fans hate losing games they should win. UGA correctly perceives their football program is far superior to GT’s football program. We are rarely competitive with them any more. Sad but true.
There are not many teams that are competitive with them the past 5-6 years. Since 2017, their W/L has been:
2022: 15-0
2021: 14-1 [Alabama]
2020: 8-2 [Alabama, Florida]
2019: 12-2 [USCe, LSU]
2018: 11-3 [LSU, Alabama, Texas]
2017: 13-2 [Auburn, Alabama]

That's 73-10 over the last 6 seasons. Of the 10 losses, 4 have been to Alabama, two to LSU, and once each to UF, USCe, and UTA. By your metric (above), they have one rival: Alabama.

In that time, they beat GA Tech by the following:
2022: 37-14
2021: 45-0
2020: ---
2019: 52-7
2018: 45-21
2017: 38-7

We're not very competitive these days.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If we want money, we should schedule a home game every year with FSU, ND, or Clemson. If we want a better record, schedule as many patsies as possibly. But that hasn’t worked out lately.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There are not many teams that are competitive with them the past 5-6 years. Since 2017, their W/L has been:
2022: 15-0
2021: 14-1 [Alabama]
2020: 8-2 [Alabama, Florida]
2019: 12-2 [USCe, LSU]
2018: 11-3 [LSU, Alabama, Texas]
2017: 13-2 [Auburn, Alabama]

That's 73-10 over the last 6 seasons. Of the 10 losses, 4 have been to Alabama, two to LSU, and once each to UF, USCe, and UTA. By your metric (above), they have one rival: Alabama.

In that time, they beat GA Tech by the following:
2022: 37-14
2021: 45-0
2020: ---
2019: 52-7
2018: 45-21
2017: 38-7

We're not very competitive these days.
It would appear that Alabama is their only peer. They are a rival to GT. They only view GT as a true rival if we present a possible threat. Per the scores you posted we don’t present a threat. Hopefully that will begin to change. Preferably with GT becoming a good football program.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But the embers of the rivalry glow just beneath the surface. Beat them and it flares right back up again. No, the Tech - Ugag rivalry is far from dead - it's just sleeping.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If we want money, we should schedule a home game every year with FSU, ND, or Clemson. If we want a better record, schedule as many patsies as possibly. But that hasn’t worked out lately.
Once we get a decent team playing patsies will pay off in both money and prestige because winning is what matters to get into conference championship games, the playoffs, bowl games, and higher rated recruits. You don’t get rewarded playing a tough schedule and sitting at home during the post season. Instead, you get mocked and ridiculed.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Once we get a decent team playing patsies will pay off in both money and prestige because winning is what matters to get into conference championship games, the playoffs, bowl games, and higher rated recruits. You don’t get rewarded playing a tough schedule and sitting at home during the post season. Instead, you get mocked and ridiculed.
Or, if you win against a tough schedule, you go to a better bowl game. I don't want to play a rinky-dink schedule just so we can go to a rinky-dink bowl game. Also, nobody cares if we beat a soft schedule.
On top of that, a soft schedule does not inspire fan interest. Aim higher than beating patsies.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Or, if you win against a tough schedule, you go to a better bowl game. I don't want to play a rinky-dink schedule just so we can go to a rinky-dink bowl game. Also, nobody cares if we beat a soft schedule.
On top of that, a soft schedule does not inspire fan interest. Aim higher than beating patsies.
Outside of the playoffs, bowl selection is based on W/L placement within the conference, not by who you beat. So wins against better conference teams count the same as against lesser conference teams. For OOC, since we already play uga every year, we need to schedule to achieve bowl eligibility as well as maximizing wins. Thats how you get to a better bowl. Then, once we have rebuilt the program into a championship contender, we do need a good resume for our wins.