Nebraska @ Minnesota

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Final int wasn’t rushed, yet he stared down his receiver and threw off his back foot. His lack of having competent offensive coaching the past 3 years has really hurt him.
Yeah... he may come around with some guidance. Still playing like a true frosh in many ways.

JacketFan137

Banned
in a sick and twisted way i wonder if patenaude was a qb whisperer because sims and the guy everyone will get defensive about have declined since leaving tech

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Seeing his smug face on the sidelines felt all too familiar. He got such undeserving hype in the off-season.

Still looks to throw off his back foot and right into the defense. Good lorddd he just cant get it together.

On to Haynes King baby!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
in a sick and twisted way i wonder if patenaude was a qb whisperer because sims and the guy everyone will get defensive about have declined since leaving tech
Strange take.... What I saw from Sims tonight was status quo. I saw no decline... seems to be the same exact guy. Still playing like a true frosh with a ton of potential.... except it’s year 4

Last edited:

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure if fans bad mouthing Sims was part of reason he left GT, but if it was then Nebraska fans are on another level and will eviscerate him if he doesn’t improve quickly.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
sam houston’s third string qb

Ah.

Oh and a special gift for you for making me do my own legwork ...

Temper Tantrum GIF

slugboy

Staff member
Final int wasn’t rushed, yet he stared down his receiver and threw off his back foot. His lack of having competent offensive coaching the past 3 years has really hurt him.
Gibson looked a lot better in the last game of the year against UGA than he did against UVA when he came in for Sims. I thought he looked readier for the game. My guess is that Weinke had something to do with that.

I remember that Patenaude made some comments that the QBs were coached how to make the reads but that they didn’t all take to their coaching. When you’re faster than almost everyone you’ve faced in high school and have a cannon for an arm, you can stare down your receivers. Doing that in college is much harder. There are some talented enough to take that to the pros. It’s hard to unlearn what you’ve been successful at for years.

That’s one of the reasons you want a QB room stocked with talent—one or more of those players will listen to their coaches AND be as talented as the other guys. If you have just one star, they can try to dictate to the coach what they do.

I think Collins anointing Sims the starting QB from the start may have hurt his development and undercut his offensive coaches.

We seem to have multiple (hopefully) coachable QBs with talent right now. If one of them isn’t making the reads, one of the others will.

As for the offenses last night, neither one looked pretty or smooth. Line play was fine, but neither of those OCs captured my interest.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Throw the ball to the defense was an effective gameplan last year for us vs. Pitt.

In fact, I think we threw it to the defense a few more times and got the W.

The difference for Sims last night is that the defense caught the ball.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
BS- Sims problem is 100% between his ears and it just is what it is at this point, no amount of coaching is going to fix him Into making consistently good decisions throwing the ball. He is not a P5 quality starting QB and should be playing some other position if he wants to get a chance in the NFL.

I pray that our new starter King from A&M is not in the same boat, i’m very worried about that.

slugboy

Staff member
BS- Sims problem is 100% between his ears and it just is what it is at this point, no amount of coaching is going to fix him Into making consistently good decisions throwing the ball. He is not a P5 quality starting QB and should be playing some other position if he wants to get a chance in the NFL.

I pray that our new starter King from A&M is not in the same boat, i’m very worried about that.
The coach has to teach it, the QB has to pay attention and want to learn it, they both need to give it enough intentional reps, and the coin has to drop.
It’s coachable, but a lot of pieces have to come together and fall in place.

As for our QBs, Weinke was a QB, Faulkner was a QB, and don’t think they’ll let our offense go into the ditch

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Given the lack of progression of our entire offense, I find it hard to think it was only Sims. It doesn’t matter regardless.

JacketFan137

Banned
Given the lack of progression of our entire offense, I find it hard to think it was only Sims. It doesn’t matter regardless.
i think sims just wears most of it amongst our fanbase because he was seen as the face of the collins regime.

unfortunately year 1 and 2 the options behind him were just plain awful so we basically couldn’t afford to bench him and gave him way too long of a leash. by year 3 i think everyone was just done and then there was the weird incident where he allegedly quit.

it definitely wasn’t just sims cause frankly the only players that ever looked good on offense consistently throughout collins tenure were gibbs, mcgowan and mason.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Omg Sims. Smh.

I'm not gonna kick more dort on the kid but man he's not playing great. I tuned in just now to the announcer saying he's costing them games. Next play, int. Sheesh.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I just put the game on and the announcers are really putting it on thick regarding Sims performance. “Look young quarterbacks at home, this is an example of what not to do” while production does a zoom in on him. Feel like they should leave it alone at this point.