NAVY......

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After Georgia Tech I'm a Navy fan and this past weekend I watched Navy beat a very good Memphis State team in front of a packed stadium in Annapolis. Paul Johnson is the mentor of Niumatalolo but they got something going that we don't. I like CPJ but I think our weak links may be some of his assistant coaches, it's his responsibility but for 9 years Navy has a spark that we don't have.....

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sport...-wags-follow-memphis-1024-20161023-story.html

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
After Georgia Tech I'm a Navy fan and this past weekend I watched Navy beat a very good Memphis State team in front of a packed stadium in Annapolis. Paul Johnson is the mentor of Niumatalolo but they got something going that we don't. I like CPJ but I think our weak links may be some of his assistant coaches, it's his responsibility but for 9 years Navy has a spark that we don't have.....

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sport...-wags-follow-memphis-1024-20161023-story.html

I hear you, but that spark is largely schedule.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Wrote about it here:

https://gtswarm.com/threads/paul-johnsons-job.10406/page-46

One of the things CPJ has had to contend with is "brain drain" of his coaching staff. CPJ probably had a "who's who" of flexbone coaches for a while. Once he moved on to GT, the tree kinda split. As GT began to have a lot of success, the more of the tree limbs were taken. To think, at one time CPJ, Coach Ken, Jeff Monken, Brian Bohanan, Ivin Jasper were in one place coaching the heck out of the flexbone. With the exception of Jasper, who will be a HC sooner than later, all those guys are having varying degrees of success running their own program.

Milwaukee

Banned
They run the TO sooooo much faster than we do. It's extremely quick hitting, where as ours has gotten extremely slow for whatever reason. Watching one of their possessions feels like I'm watching a Tech possession in fast forward.

But AE is accurate about their schedule.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

There is an enthusiasm on the Navy team that we don't have. It very well may come from winning.

Normalized against their SOS, CPJ built something that Niumatalolo has surpassed. From the article: "Now Niumatalolo is surpassing his mentor on a number of levels, not the least of which is his won-loss record."

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They run the TO sooooo much faster than we do. It's extremely quick hitting, where as ours has gotten extremely slow for whatever reason. Watching one of their possessions feels like I'm watching a Tech possession in fast forward.

But AE is accurate about their schedule.

Our offense has gotten slower since JT has become more tentative. He got slobber knocked by UNC last year and IMHO hasn't been consistently the same decisiveness / speed as he was as a sophomore. It is nice to watch a QB running the TO without hesitation.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Got a 2015(I think that's the year ) navy lb at our church here in Pensacola. He is a big kid that bulked up and now is working at shrinking to fit in his plane. I will ask him his opinion about their speed of play verses ours.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our offense has gotten slower since JT has become more tentative. He got slobber knocked by UNC last year and IMHO hasn't been consistently the same decisiveness / speed as he was as a sophomore. It is nice to watch a QB running the TO without hesitation.

saw the same with Vad Lee after he absorbed a beat down. For QB's at all levels(see all the high NFL draft picks pressed into service on bad teams with bad OL's ) it seems that once shell shock sets in' the affects are almost irreversible.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
There is an enthusiasm on the Navy team that we don't have. It very well may come from winning.

Normalized against their SOS, CPJ built something that Niumatalolo has surpassed. From the article: "Now Niumatalolo is surpassing his mentor on a number of levels, not the least of which is his won-loss record."

I'm not knocking KN, he's a darn good coach.....but what he and CPJ inherited are vastly different. His record at Navy should be better for that reason.

leftylover

Banned

A hard nosed option QB

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we put Jordan in, our TO will look fast again immediately. MJ gets it headed upfield very quickly. He doesn't slow play the second phase like JT has gotten into the habit of doing. He may not get it pitched sometimes, but he will get it headed north. PLUS, with MJ, we would run some midline effectively and that would slow the defense's pursuit to the lanes quite a bit. It is hard to look "fast" with the option when your change up is the counter, which is a very slow developing play that JT runs instead of midline.

I miss the midline play sooooo much it kills me. We get to option off tough DTs AND get two extra inside blockers with ABs flying into the hole cleaning up any missed LBs and what not. All it takes is 3 or 4 successful midlines and the TO is back on the table without the pitch lanes flooded. I look at midlines like a boxing coach would look at body punching effectively before moving up to the head (TO). If your opponent has his gloves up around his temples (LBs flying to the lanes) while against the ropes, you better pull out the body punches and go to work.