Nate Woody . . .

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Most were expecting year one to be a rough transition with year 2 and 3 to be when we saw progress.

Our defense was abysmal this year, and there is no talking around it. Bottom 100 in FEI and S&P+. The only redeeming quality was some timely turnovers. I do think we'd have gotten better in the coming years, but this year was plain awful.

I expected some issues but It was a whole lot rougher than i was hoping for

Am i the only one who thought our defense was brutally bad under Woody? I like the guy but aside from Def line play (which i attribute to the d-line coach) i didn’t see much to be excited about. And don’t give me turnovers because we had more in’14
I enjoyed watching them play. Even when they didn't get it done, I just thought they played with more enthusiasm than they ever did under Roof. I knew that it would be a transition year, and I fully expected great improvement next year. I hope the new DC, whoever he is, will produce big time.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
I enjoyed watching them play. Even when they didn't get it done, I just thought they played with more enthusiasm than they ever did under Roof. I knew that it would be a transition year, and I fully expected great improvement next year. I hope the new DC, whoever he is, will produce big time.

Similar to CGC, Woody made me hopeful for the future. Unfortunately, he wasn’t here long enough to get attached to him like CPJ or CAM.

We’re picking up some grad transfers. I wonder if there are any JC transfers we could pick up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CGC has had good defenses every he's been a the DC or HC.

I hate what happened with Nate Woody, and I was looking forward to seeing what we could do with another year with his system...but CGC will have us playing better defense. Not sure what the offense will do, but CGC's record on defense is something GT fans have wanted for a while now.

Animal02

Banned
Am i the only one who thought our defense was brutally bad under Woody? I like the guy but aside from Def line play (which i attribute to the d-line coach) i didn’t see much to be excited about. And don’t give me turnovers because we had more in’14
Funny how people are not willing to give Woody one year of transition, yet Collins gets 2-3. :rolleyes:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Similar to CGC, Woody made me hopeful for the future. Unfortunately, he wasn’t here long enough to get attached to him like CPJ or CAM.

We’re picking up some grad transfers. I wonder if there are any JC transfers we could pick up.

Stansbury mentioned recently that jucos aren't really an option at Tech. I do think that grad transfers should be a regular part of our recruiting strategy.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Funny how people are not willing to give Woody one year of transition, yet Collins gets 2-3. :rolleyes:

True but I think Woody would’ve been released regardless of how last season went. It looks like CGC is going tabula rasa.

No more Johnson, no more Woody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
True but I think Woody would’ve been released regardless of how last season went. It looks like CGC is going tabula rasa.

No more Johnson, no more Woody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get that ....I am referring to people saying how bad the D was when it was obviously a transition year....c calmpared to how they say they are willing to have multiple bad years for Collins transition.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I kinda feel bad for Woody. That doesn’t mean I think CGC is doing him wrong or anything, just an unfortunate situation for Woody. I feel like he’d be at Louisville right now if he stayed at App State this season instead of being in limbo. I was impressed with him in his one season at the Flats and wish him nothing but the best.

Why feel bad? He'll get paid in full by GT even if he was to sit on his rear next year. He has a two year contract. I am sure that the only reason we don't pay all of the balance of his contract would be because of an offset for any payment he receives from another school. He won't be in the SNAP line filling out paperwork to be able to eat.

Edit: I see others have already made similar comments.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So did Woody under-coach and/or under-prepare the players for the bowl game, or did the players just not execute?
I guess people will say what they will about that. I don’t think coaches make it to this level without being hyper competitive people. I sincerely doubt any of our staff didn’t give it their all. Unless someone has inside info, I doubt we’d ever know.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
We did not force Minnesota to punt in the Quick Lane Bowl. I wouldn’t know where to look, but I wonder how often, if ever, we have played another game and our defense failed to force a single punt...

i read somewhere that the number is 4. 4 times in cpj career at gt opposing teams did not punt. AND those years happened in and around 2009.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
We did not force Minnesota to punt in the Quick Lane Bowl. I wouldn’t know where to look, but I wonder how often, if ever, we have played another game and our defense failed to force a single punt...

The team was essentially playing for a bunch of lame duck coaches in a lower tier bowl the day after Christmas. In my opinion, this game was a terrible barometer for any compare and contrast scenarios, unless we want to use it as a poster child ad for prospective bowls and what not to look for when it's decision time.