My way too early, possibly problematic look at potential GT Hoops roster management

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with everyone above. He was on a team that had a ton of talented depth at his position.

I like that he co-won this award at their post-season banquet. All the scouting on him suggests a versatile, glue-type guy that will play hard, is a great teammate, and do exactly what the coaching staff asks him to do. It also helps that he has been playing at the highest level of basketball so there really shouldn't be any learning curve based on the quality of the opponents.

"O'Brien and da Silva shared the team's Tebo Family P.A.S.S. Award. In its seventh season, the Tebo Family P.A.S.S. Award is named in honor of Stephen Tebo, a long-time supporter of the Colorado basketball program. The award was created to recognize the player, or players, that best exemplified the virtues of Perseverance, Attitude, Selflessness and Success."

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The player talent has been upgraded tremendously since our season ended. We will now have a roster full of players who can score, rebound, and play defense. That’s what we’ve had when we made our tourney runs. The days of having a bunch of “role” types are over. Sure, the guys have to play their roles within the offense, but when they ball bounces to them we’ll have a scorer at all 5 spots.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The player talent has been upgraded tremendously since our season ended. We will now have a roster full of players who can score, rebound, and play defense. That’s what we’ve had when we made our tourney runs. The days of having a bunch of “role” types are over. Sure, the guys have to play their roles within the offense, but when they ball bounces to them we’ll have a scorer at all 5 spots.
A lot depends on Ndongo coming back for another year. His skill set is unique on our roster.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am sure that each player has their own personal reasons for making their choices , making it impossible for anyone to access why or what they do.
Is GT likely to pay 7 figures to a BB player via an NIL collective? I have my doubts. RJ Davis is returning to UNC for a 5th year. His NIL money will likely be in the 7 figure range.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am sure that each player has their own personal reasons for making their choices , making it impossible for anyone to access why or what they do.
Bacot was getting plenty of NIL money and he wanted to win a national championship at UNC. The amounts of money now thrown around is enough to delay a jump to the NBA and he may have wanted to get his degree. MJ went early after his Jr year and then came back off season to finish. I would run into him at Finley GC every afternoon in the summer. Easier to just finish the degree if you got plenty of money.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am beginning to think both Ndongo and Kelly are returning. There is almost no chance either will be drafted (neither is ranked in the top 100) and their NIL at GT is probably more than they could get playing professionally in a minor league. UNC has a bigger NIL budget than GT, but RJ Davis returning to UNC is evidence that the money outside the 1st round is nothing special. If I am correct, here is where our 2024 roster is today:

PG - George, McCollum
SG - Kelly, Terry, Reeves, Mustaf
SF - Sutton, O'Brien
PF - Ndongo, Kirouac
C - Onwuchekwa

Did I miss anyone? If not, we have two spots remaining.

It's easy to see where we need help. The way it stands right now we will have three Freshmen getting rotation minutes this Fall. That feels like another middle of the pack finish unless we can find a 5 worth significant minutes.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
I am beginning to think both Ndongo and Kelly are returning. There is almost no chance either will be drafted (neither is ranked in the top 100) and their NIL at GT is probably more than they could get playing professionally in a minor league. UNC has a bigger NIL budget than GT, but RJ Davis returning to UNC is evidence that the money outside the 1st round is nothing special. If I am correct, here is where our 2024 roster is today:

PG - George, McCollum
SF - Sutton, O'Brien
PF - Ndongo, Kirouac
C - Onwuchekwa

It's easy to see where we need help. The way it stands right now we will have three Freshmen getting rotation minutes this Fall. That feels like another middle of the pack finish unless we can find a 5 worth significant minutes.
Soare? 5 - one year guys. If the Freshmen hang in there, lots of potential PT after that.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow

PG - George, McCollum
SF - Sutton, O'Brien
PF - Ndongo, Kirouac
C - Onwuchekwa

In the limited tape I have seen; Kirouac has a back to the basket type game so I would put him at the 5.

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
Bacot was getting plenty of NIL money and he wanted to win a national championship at UNC. The amounts of money now thrown around is enough to delay a jump to the NBA and he may have wanted to get his degree. MJ went early after his Jr year and then came back off season to finish. I would run into him at Finley GC every afternoon in the summer. Easier to just finish the degree if you got plenty of money.
Do they actually finish or is part of the uncheat degree program. I heard the only way not to get a degree from tudheal university is to not show up for the ceremony. Only applies to athletes of course.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

PG - George, McCollum
SF - Sutton, O'Brien
PF - Ndongo, Kirouac
C - Onwuchekwa

You need to add Souare. If we add a commit from Coleman-Jones, that would be the most talented roster GT has had in a very long time. 🤞

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You need to add Souare. If we add a commit from Coleman-Jones, that would be the most talented roster GT has had in a very long time. 🤞
I agree, but here is where we stand until/if he commits to GT.

PG - George, McCollum
SF - Sutton, O'Brien
PF - Ndongo, Souare, Kirouac
C - Onwuchekwa

We have eight players who would be at home playing one of the two guards spots. All eight are ACC level players. This has been a crazy level talent transition. Let's see if CDS can mold them into a winner as a team. We have the talent if Coleman-Jones joins the team.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's how I would place it right now. Will leave Kelly and Ndongo out until we know one way or the other and assume the worst for now.
George (So)- 1
McCollum (Sr) -1, 2
Terry (Sr) - 2
Mustaf (Fr) - 1, 2, 3
O'Brien (Sr) - 2, 3, 4
Reeves (Sr) - 3, 4
Sutton (Fr) - 3, 4
Soure (R-Fr) - 4, 5
Kirouac (Fr) - 5
Onwuchekwa (Fr) - 5

Feel good about our perimeter corps. Talent and experience. Terry, McCollum and George all have a year of P6 experience.
O'Brien has 3 years of P6 experience and will likely be our most versatile player. If Ndongo were to leave it would not shock me if he started at the 4.
Reeves has 3 years of P6 experience.

It is obvious we need at least 1 experienced post player, possibly 2 if Ndongo does not come back.
Best case scenario for the frontcourt is likely Ndongo coming back and Jones committing.
I assume that Ndongo is here on a student visa which means he can earn no NIL money on US soil which likely limits the temptation to transfer. It is either NBA or back to GT. (He can earn money outside the US - which is why teams with players on student visa's are trying to arrange foreign trips).

I'd argue from a GT perspective that Ndongo returning is much more important than Kelly returning. It feels like GT already has a perimeter core that can absorb Kelly's loss but right now it has no ability to absorb Ndongo's loss.
On the perimeter GT loses Sturdy and possibly Kelly. It gains Terry, McCollum, Mustaf and potentially O'Brien,
In the frontcourt it loses Coleman (Who spent his time at the 3 and 4) and potentially Ndongo. It gains O'Brien (at the 3 or 4), Sutton (3, 4), Onwuchekwa and Kirouac (who may redshirt).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but here is where we stand until/if he commits to GT.

PG - George, McCollum
SF - Sutton, O'Brien
PF - Ndongo, Souare, Kirouac
C - Onwuchekwa

We have eight players who would be at home playing one of the two guards spots. All eight are ACC level players. This has been a crazy level talent transition. Let's see if CDS can mold them into a winner as a team. We have the talent if Coleman-Jones joins the team.
Somebody tell me if I am wrong but CDS seems to really know how to make substitutions and rotate players depending on game situations, matchups, and who’s hot. I like giving him all these pieces to work with.

Caveat is how long it will take for the team to get comfortable with interchangeable lineups.