Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Glad to see others around the country view our program so highly.

GT spends a lot less money on football than over half of the schools on that list. There are absolutely worse programs in general and for the price than GT currently is. We’re in a bad place but there are others who have no shot at getting out of their bad place. Tech still has a chance

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Thought it might be time to repost this.

Thanks great read guess I missed it the 1st time. Makes me wonder if these money guys are thinking now kind of think they thought this would be the year to win 6 games. Guess we will see if things don't change soon how much more they will put up with it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks great read guess I missed it the 1st time. Makes me wonder if these money guys are thinking now kind of think they thought this would be the year to win 6 games. Guess we will see if things don't change soon how much more they will put up with it.
If this decision is made by the boosters and not the AD then we are either FSU North or UTK South and will have no chance to find our way out of the wilderness. IMO.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If this decision is made by the boosters and not the AD then we are either FSU North or UTK South and will have no chance to find our way out of the wilderness. IMO.
That could be the case I know how it happen with B** L**** cause at that time I worked for one of the big money guys and was in his office when he got a phone call. ( By the way he is no longer here pasted years ago)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We aren't changing coach this year. He will get next year, and if he has another 3-4 win season, I think he is out.
I don't think anyone believes we are changing coaches next year But they could be making a list and who knows someone on this staff could be on the list to keep the recruiting up. ( that should get things going)

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think anyone believes we are changing coaches next year But they could be making a list and who knows someone on this staff could be on the list to keep the recruiting up. ( that should get things going)
I think he could be out next year with only 3 or 4 wins. The reality is in year 4 all the players are his (except for very very few). At some point, accountability has to come along with being the head coach. The offense has shown signs of getting better and special teams are holding their own. But the defense has been poor from inception and no real confidence of an upswing based on the eye test. If he can't get more wins and significantly improve the defense (supposedly his expertise), I just don't see how you continue. Getting to 6 wins means going 4-4 in the ACC and 2 of 4 wins out of conference. Based on the current state of the ACC, I just think that is a baseline that has to be achieved (and improved upon occasionally).

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
If he wins 3 this year and has a slow start and doesn't look competitive, then yes I think it is highly possible... Not saying it would be good for the program but you can't rule it out - buyout or no. It happens...

LibertyTurns

Banned

Glad to see others around the country view our program so highly.

I live down here in Florida and there’s a very diverse population of college football fans. Of course we got UF, UCF now plus Free Shoes and da U, but we also have a lot of Yanks that like ND, Penn St, Mich, OSU; then we got the random Bammer, Clemp, OU, Texas, WV, UNC, USC, Stanford, Purdue, etc.

Our reputation has plummeted since we started the transition, quite frankly most other fans shocked we went away from what was perceived as a winning formula for GT. They all considered GT a threat to pull off an upset every single week we were not favored to win. The vast consensus was we’d struggle mightily trying to compete head to head.

This board seemed to, and many still think, that we’re going to be more competitive than before. It wasn’t a high percentage endeavor before, it certainly isn’t now. Problem we have now is what to do. I don’t think we can reverse course nor should we probably, the path ahead is not favorable either. Could be a staffing issue, but although we’d get better results out of a better staff it’s probably not even going to get us back to where we were.

Glad I’m not Stansbury, he burned that bridge and there is no viable path for him to get out. I’d be scouring the countryside for a savior because the best option at this point is another inexperienced, radically different “scheme” type person than we got now like a 35yo Leach. Stansbury is really screwed because that is his last and only shot to survive. He bet almost his entire stack and needs 5 great hands in a row to get back in the game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Thought it might be time to repost this.

“And so I said, ‘This is the third year. This is it,’” Rice said. “And he agrees that this is the time to break out and have a winning season.” - Homer Rice

“I think if we win six games, that’ll be a big, huge breakout for them, and go on from there,” Rice said.

Indeed, it was reasonable to give this staff a couple of years to get it together. We're in year three. Time's very short now. Still time to win at least 5.
We have to beat Miami and BC, or time runs out.

Animal02

Banned
I live down here in Florida and there’s a very diverse population of college football fans. Of course we got UF, UCF now plus Free Shoes and da U, but we also have a lot of Yanks that like ND, Penn St, Mich, OSU; then we got the random Bammer, Clemp, OU, Texas, WV, UNC, USC, Stanford, Purdue, etc.

Our reputation has plummeted since we started the transition, quite frankly most other fans shocked we went away from what was perceived as a winning formula for GT. They all considered GT a threat to pull off an upset every single week we were not favored to win. The vast consensus was we’d struggle mightily trying to compete head to head.

This board seemed to, and many still think, that we’re going to be more competitive than before. It wasn’t a high percentage endeavor before, it certainly isn’t now. Problem we have now is what to do. I don’t think we can reverse course nor should we probably, the path ahead is not favorable either. Could be a staffing issue, but although we’d get better results out of a better staff it’s probably not even going to get us back to where we were.

Glad I’m not Stansbury, he burned that bridge and there is no viable path for him to get out. I’d be scouring the countryside for a savior because the best option at this point is another inexperienced, radically different “scheme” type person than we got now like a 35yo Leach. Stansbury is really screwed because that is his last and only shot to survive. He bet almost his entire stack and needs 5 great hands in a row to get back in the game.
Maybe if he had a spine to stand up to the donors and GC, but I don't think he does.

There was absolutely no reason to burn down the house to "transition" Coming off a 7-6 season was not a dumpster fire. The only reason the "cupboard was bare" like the cultist claim is because the football program was being starved. Could have spent more time than 8 days looking and talking to prospects and finding a HC that would actually transition and not try to stuff a square peg in a round hole,

Next year, GC wil have 3 years left on his contract. Standard practice is to maintain 4 years for "recruiting" Not granting an extension would be a knife in the back. He could ride it out and look like an idiot, or negotiate an exit.

Good chance TStan gets shown the door with GC.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

This.... We've decided to be a me too program without the resources available to make it successful. We took a gamble on an unproven HC and it's not paying off. Gonna be a very tough one to recover from, but in my opinion (and it's just my opinion) the quicker you tear off the bandaid the earlier you can start something different.

Still gonna watch and cheer for them every Saturday, but it's a sad state of affairs.

Go Jackets

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Next year, GC wil have 3 years left on his contract. Standard practice is to maintain 4 years for "recruiting" Not granting an extension would be a knife in the back. He could ride it out and look like an idiot, or negotiate an exit.
No it's not. That is just on its face stupid. If many head coach contracts are for 5 years are they getting extensions after 2 years just for recruiting? No

We get it. You wanted Monken and you're upset you didn't get your way.