Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Lets see how the rest of the season plays out.
Ok lets look into the future
OIP.Go3PUj3fzyl3PypRtSbLgQHaDt

Miami 45 Tech 17 Miami passes for over 400 yards

Boston College 18 Tech 17 so close but on 4th and 5 from the Boston 10 yard line CGC goes for the 1 st down and not kicking the game winning FG

ND 31 Tech 21 not sure why it was that close guess they were looking at the Stanford game

uga 56 tech 3 god help us

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like your optimism. But at the end of the day, we will be right back to averaging a 7-5 record each year. Was it worth the upheaval?

I really disagree with the phrase upheaval. Maybe it's semantics but that (imo) sounds like CPJ was fired (instead of retiring) so we could bring in Collins. Or are you implying that bringing in another guy to run the same or similar system would have made the last 3 years better than what we have experienced?

I am of the opinion that CPJ was a very smart guy and saw what he had to work with in the upcoming years and took it to the house. I hesitate to post this as I know some will miscontrue what I just posted or read into it something that I did not say. I am not happy with the current state of affairs as there plenty of coaching errors being made. But, once again, I believe we were physically whipped on both LOS. Collins and his staff are not the type of coaches who can scheme around this.

Moreover, I think CGC is starting to panic. The decision to go for it on 4th and three instead of kick the FG reeks of desperation. I was mad at the decision then and still can't believe he did it. It was a foolish of him to do that.

Animal02

Banned
I really disagree with the phrase upheaval. Maybe it's semantics but that (imo) sounds like CPJ was fired (instead of retiring) so we could bring in Collins. Or are you implying that bringing in another guy to run the same or similar system would have made the last 3 years better than what we have experienced?

I am of the opinion that CPJ was a very smart guy and saw what he had to work with in the upcoming years and took it to the house. I hesitate to post this as I know some will miscontrue what I just posted or read into it something that I did not say. I am not happy with the current state of affairs as there plenty of coaching errors being made. But, once again, I believe we were physically whipped on both LOS. Collins and his staff are not the type of coaches who can scheme around this.

Moreover, I think CGC is starting to panic. The decision to go for it on 4th and three instead of kick the FG reeks of desperation. I was mad at the decision then and still can't believe he did it. It was a foolish of him to do that.
CPJ saw he was not going to get more funding for recruiting etc and was not getting total support from the AD. We dropped from above the mean in football spending to second to last in the ACC.

Animal02

Banned
Ok lets look into the future
OIP.Go3PUj3fzyl3PypRtSbLgQHaDt

Miami 45 Tech 17 Miami passes for over 400 yards

Boston College 18 Tech 17 so close but on 4th and 5 from the Boston 10 yard line CGC goes for the 1 st down and not kicking the game winning FG

ND 31 Tech 21 not sure why it was that close guess they were looking at the Stanford game

uga 56 tech 3 god help us
You are being optimistic

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I thought it was a good call , but it took too long ng to decide. If we had a play it could have caused vt to take time out.
After talking and getting play we ran behind rg who has been pressed into service.

We really need to win on offense because the defense is incoherent

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Or are you implying that bringing in another guy to run the same or similar system would have made the last 3 years better than what we have experienced?
I spent the bulk of my career managing large, multinational organizations. The basic rule of thumb was to establish a system and manage to the system (recruit, refine, resource, etc.). Changing the "system" was to be avoided at all costs because the cost to change is astronomically higher and the risk is also higher.

Paul was screwed because Tech would never fully commit to running his scheme. Period. And the irony is that we don't have the resources to run the scheme everyone else wants to run. So, if you don't have an edge with a unique scheme and you don't have the resources, you end up in No Man's Land. Which is where we are today.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CPJ saw he was not going to get more funding for recruiting etc and was not getting total support from the AD. We dropped from above the mean in football spending to second to last in the ACC.
we are saying the same thing basically. Chicken and egg. He did not have the support from above thus he did not have the resources which meant he did not have the players. Bottom line, we are looking at the end result of a systemic problem caused by historically bad leadership over a series of AD's. I am reasonably sure that none of us here have the answer but we will grab our pitchforks and torches and join the mob. Because we are angry and hurt and somebody MUST PAY for the sins of our fathers.

On second thought, we do know the answer....given enough time AND money, this problem is indeed very fixable. The question becomes really, do we have enough $ because we have the same amount of time in front of us as all the other programs do.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
On second thought, we do know the answer....given enough time AND money, this problem is indeed very fixable. The question becomes really, do we have enough $ because we have the same amount of time in front of us as all the other programs do.
This resonates with me but for a different reason. S Peter Kezios, my mechanical engineering professor, encouraged us to think that ... WE DO NOT HAVE enough resources. Ever. So how do you solve the problem NOW?

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
With 9 wins in three years the seat is warm. He starts slow he doesn’t survive year 4. Been saying it since year 1. We are in the Bi** Le*** zone now. (I think we have been for a long time). We’re an embarrassment.

Reminds me of the Sports Illustrated college football preseason issue at the beginning of Bud Carson’s fourth season at Tech, following three consecutive 4 - 6 seasons. Two short sentences about Tech: “Bud Carson must win this year to keep his job. Bye, Bud.”

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I spent the bulk of my career managing large, multinational organizations. The basic rule of thumb was to establish a system and manage to the system (recruit, refine, resource, etc.). Changing the "system" was to be avoided at all costs because the cost to change is astronomically higher and the risk is also higher.

Paul was screwed because Tech would never fully commit to running his scheme. Period. And the irony is that we don't have the resources to run the scheme everyone else wants to run. So, if you don't have an edge with a unique scheme and you don't have the resources, you end up in No Man's Land. Which is where we are today.

I don't disagree. OTOH, running out a string of 3 6- or 7- year win seasons after CPJ's departure (and these are best case scenarios given the roster) wouldn't have moved the needle much at all from where we are currently at. In fact, we would still be having the same arguments we did over the last several years of CPJ's tenure. Yes, 6-6 sounds better NOW than 3-9 but had we taken that fork in the road the pain would be just as great (remember, we would not be aware that we would be looking at three consecutive 3 win seasons by switching under that scenario).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree. OTOH, running out a string of 3 6- or 7- year win seasons after CPJ's departure (and these are best case scenarios given the roster) wouldn't have moved the needle much at all from where we are currently at. In fact, we would still be having the same arguments we did over the last several years of CPJ's tenure. Yes, 6-6 sounds better NOW than 3-9 but had we taken that fork in the road the pain would be just as great (remember, we would not be aware that we would be looking at three consecutive 3 win seasons by switching under that scenario).
Fair enough. But did anyone bother to evaluate ... a) what do we have to change to have the BEST TO team in the country? What are the plusses and minuses of doing so? b) If we ditch the TO, are we able to resource appropriately to compete beyond what we are doing today?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This resonates with me but for a different reason. S Peter Kezios, my mechanical engineering professor, encouraged us to think that ... WE DO NOT HAVE enough resources. Ever. So how do you solve the problem NOW?

So now (imo) you are seeking solutions from the people who are 3 standard deviations above the mean in either management (AD) or coaching talent. Sort of a conundrum as I am not sure that those people pick GT as a place of employment. The other issue is....no one has a proven system of identifying and hiring those people. Like you, I have hired and fired people. When I was young, I thought I was good at it. But after several mistakes, I am not sure that I was. The difference between our dilemmas (sp?) and the one facing TStan and people in his position, I never had to hire and fire people with 7 figure buyouts to consider in my annual budget. I could fire people and not owe them anything but unpaid vacation and such. Different world.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So now (imo) you are seeking solutions from the people who are 3 standard deviations above the mean in either management (AD) or coaching talent. Sort of a conundrum as I am not sure that those people pick GT as a place of employment. The other issue is....no one has a proven system of identifying and hiring those people. Like you, I have hired and fired people. When I was young, I thought I was good at it. But after several mistakes, I am not sure that I was. The difference between our dilemmas (sp?) and the one facing TStan and people in his position, I never had to hire and fire people with 7 figure buyouts to consider in my annual budget. I could fire people and not owe them anything but unpaid vacation and such. Different world.
No. It's not any different.

Animal02

Banned
Giving someone a contract like a buy out like that,with no performance stipulations was absurd and amateurish

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Time should be measured by how much leeway a program is willing to give a HC to effect change. In that sense, time is a finite number that is rarely agreed upon before the coach takes the job. In a normal program, it can be understood to be 2=3 years. In our situation, it's probably 4-5 years.

Every time you enact a coaching change you are in essence resetting the clock. That's a major reason I am willing to be patient for another year or two. I don't want to start over from scratch yet again.