Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve never understood why folks think “wanting him to fail” is a thing? I’m sure folks do want him to fail but why is that even a thing?

Wants and Hopes mean nothing. Collins will succeed or fail based on his coaching and not on wants or hopes of others. Me hoping the Braves win did nothing to help or hurt them. They won because they played well. Collins has total control of his future. Feelings or wishes don’t change that. He has a chance in 2 days to win a game or lose a game. None of us have any part in either of those two scenarios. It’s all on him (his staff is part of him and his players are part of him). What I or anyone thinks may happen doesnt mean a thing and doesn’t make us good or bad fans.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a kool aid drinker, as animal calls me,,,, I’m proud of it, rather be an optimist than constantly negative about everything,, I like Collins & want him to succeed,,,,
With that being said, I left the Pittsburg game at halftime & not sure about attending the GA game!?!? I just don’t care to see a slaughter,,, I’m looking desperately for a competitive game from the guys! (North Carolina game was a great one!)
Go Jackets!!!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I am a kool aid drinker, as animal calls me,,,, I’m proud of it, rather be an optimist than constantly negative about everything,, I like Collins & want him to succeed,,,,
With that being said, I left the Pittsburg game at halftime & not sure about attending the GA game!?!? I just don’t care to see a slaughter,,, I’m looking desperately for a competitive game from the guys! (North Carolina game was a great one!)
Go Jackets!!!
You are a kool-aid drinker, like Collins, and are a supporter of what he is doing........ yet you leave a game at half time?

I have criticized the coaching, and some might think that I am anti-CGC. (I don't think I am anti anything) However, I stay in the stands until the end of the game. I support GT. I go to games. I stay until the end of the games. Whether you like the marketing talk or you don't like the marketing talk, whether you believe the coaching staff is perfect or think they need to improve, you should show the players on the field support.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You are a kool-aid drinker, like Collins, and are a supporter of what he is doing........ yet you leave a game at half time?

I have criticized the coaching, and some might think that I am anti-CGC. (I don't think I am anti anything) However, I stay in the stands until the end of the game. I support GT. I go to games. I stay until the end of the games. Whether you like the marketing talk or you don't like the marketing talk, whether you believe the coaching staff is perfect or think they need to improve, you should show the players on the field support.

Sounds to me like hes more an "atleast its nto a high school offense" guy. Which is ironic because we are actually running the second most common high school offense ran now... now.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Collins is a salesman and relentlessly positive, it’s working with recruits but at least half of our fanbase absolutely hates him for it. For me the best approach is to not really pay a lot of attention to his pressers. I think a LOT of our fans really related to CPJ and his FU attitude (I know i did) he was a Ahole at times but he was our Ahole and we loved him for it no matter what the record was. CGC is 180 degrees from that and it doesn’t play with the fans when we lose. I know his demeanor is good for recruiting and player relations but I really need to see him get on some players A$$ on the sideline, scream some obsenities in their face the next time they leave a WR open for a easy TD, or block freaking air and get our QB killed etc. He needs to put a little fear of the head-coach into these guys at some point.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Collins is a salesman and relentlessly positive, it’s working with recruits but at least half of our fanbase absolutely hates him for it. For me the best approach is to not really pay a lot of attention to his pressers. I think a LOT of our fans really related to CPJ and his FU attitude (I know i did) he was a Ahole at times but he was our Ahole and we loved him for it no matter what the record was. CGC is 180 degrees from that and it doesn’t play with the fans when we lose. I know his demeanor is good for recruiting and player relations but I really need to see him get on some players A$$ on the sideline, scream some obsenities in their face the next time they leave a WR open for a easy TD, or block freaking air and get our QB killed etc. He needs to put a little fear of the head-coach into these guys at some point.
Well first I wouldn't say half the fans maybe 50% but not half. And if y'all want screaming and obsenities my wife does that very well at me. And you could get her for less than 7 years.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Go Jackets!!!
Understand your sentiments completely. I left the Pitt game early too. And yes the UGA game may well be a slaughter. But we need all of the gold and white we can muster in the stands that day to offset the sea of red. We cannot allow BDS to be a home game for them.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have talked with friends a fair amount about this.. In my most rabid fan mindset, possible fueled by bourbon, that Maybe the Move here was Chess when we are all focused on checkers.

The 7 year contract may be setting us up for an early amazon approach. Where Bezos essentially told Wallstreet we are going to lose money to make money and be focused on reorganizing the company based on the future of where he believed retail was going - the beginnings of distributed sales via the amazon platform. If you look at some of the choices CGC has made, it kind of fits.. More so than you might originally think, CGCC building the program in his image of an "elite program" would include steps like:

1) Ignoring results on field early, focusing more on installs of his playbook 100%
DATA: We did a clean install of CDP's O and ate loss like a hungry dude at a buffet. We also have stuck with Jeff Simms regardless of on field results, despite some feeling like Yates could be a short term fix to our woes.

2) Playing guys lots of reps, with different line ups to get tape of them to make choices in the future for what they want to do scheme and package wise
DATA: The ATL Philosophy lines up clearly to this. As does some of the rotation choices we make about subbing so often. Granted this one is weak as CGC did the ATL thing in Temple too and we have shown a willingness to leave guys in who are clearly not getting it done - though in season 1 and 2 of his we did do more of this

3) Immense focus on integrating into the fabric of Atlanta. Marketing etc.
DATA: The 404 thing, tie outs to ATL UTD, ATL Hawks, ATL Falcons, Playing games at MBS, ATL Braves tie out, Tweets all the time about ATL. All of the social media and press inundations he has done

4) Almost an over focus on recruiting
DATA: We seem to have a lot of focus on building the roster, and revamping our culture, etc. All is focused on speaking to recruits. We don't seem to see much consequence built off players winning/not winning their individual matchups. Maybe that is tilting our hand to recruits saying come here, we will let you play your way into your growth not languish on the vine like at a factory?

I know it is a stretch, and still a gamble, but I find it easier to believe the program saying "Ok, CPJ retired, we want to go a new direction, time to circle the wagons, and make a long term play" as opposed to them just being clueless. It would also explain why there haven't been more directed or public statements made by ADTS in word or deed despite our SLOW (charitably) start, and goes a little further in explaining the length and structure of the 7 year deal. We give him more time, he give us a more school friendly set up.

Time will tell, and I hope in 2-3 years we are all talking about how we keep the momentum going from a real return to form.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I have talked with friends a fair amount about this.. In my most rabid fan mindset, possible fueled by bourbon, that Maybe the Move here was Chess when we are all focused on checkers.

The 7 year contract may be setting us up for an early amazon approach. Where Bezos essentially told Wallstreet we are going to lose money to make money and be focused on reorganizing the company based on the future of where he believed retail was going - the beginnings of distributed sales via the amazon platform. If you look at some of the choices CGC has made, it kind of fits.. More so than you might originally think, CGCC building the program in his image of an "elite program" would include steps like:

1) Ignoring results on field early, focusing more on installs of his playbook 100%
DATA: We did a clean install of CDP's O and ate loss like a hungry dude at a buffet. We also have stuck with Jeff Simms regardless of on field results, despite some feeling like Yates could be a short term fix to our woes.

2) Playing guys lots of reps, with different line ups to get tape of them to make choices in the future for what they want to do scheme and package wise
DATA: The ATL Philosophy lines up clearly to this. As does some of the rotation choices we make about subbing so often. Granted this one is weak as CGC did the ATL thing in Temple too and we have shown a willingness to leave guys in who are clearly not getting it done - though in season 1 and 2 of his we did do more of this

DATA: The 404 thing, tie outs to ATL UTD, ATL Hawks, ATL Falcons, Playing games at MBS, ATL Braves tie out, Tweets all the time about ATL. All of the social media and press inundations he has done

DATA: We seem to have a lot of focus on building the roster, and revamping our culture, etc. All is focused on speaking to recruits. We don't seem to see much consequence built off players winning/not winning their individual matchups. Maybe that is tilting our hand to recruits saying come here, we will let you play your way into your growth not languish on the vine like at a factory?

I know it is a stretch, and still a gamble, but I find it easier to believe the program saying "Ok, CPJ retired, we want to go a new direction, time to circle the wagons, and make a long term play" as opposed to them just being clueless. It would also explain why there haven't been more directed or public statements made by ADTS in word or deed despite our SLOW (charitably) start, and goes a little further in explaining the length and structure of the 7 year deal. We give him more time, he give us a more school friendly set up.

Time will tell, and I hope in 2-3 years we are all talking about how we keep the momentum going from a real return to form.
That’s a lot of admirable effort there and to come up with the Amazon analogy, we’ll done, but IMO more than half of our problems is the lines of scrimmage. Sure, the coaching seems suspect but we still have Jimmie’s and joes problem and getting better talent for our coaches to work with has and will continue to be a problem for us. I think the coaches have mostly squeezed the available effort out of the personnel. The talent and size is just not there.

Animal02

Banned

Except that kids playing have a short window, as do students attending......those losses cannot be made up down the road. If you really are a "players" coach,.you maximize their experience......not say.....tough luck kid, but 15 years from now we might be good.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

You are putting out your beliefs as if they are better than others. I’m like you in that if I paid good money to attend something I’m staying until the end. But that doesn’t mean others can’t leave. Heck, I told my GT student son (came to commiserate with me in the 3rd quarter of the Pitt game from student section) that I wish everyone in the stadium would leave right now as that would absolutely make an impact. And, yes, to be honest I left the VT game with 3 minutes to go and I won’t attend another game this year. I just can’t watch this ineptitude up close any more. It’s too painful to watch #1, #2, and #3 on defense anymore. And your comment about supporting the players is just whimsical fancy. My son knows several players and they could care less about any of us. They got free admisision into GT, are getting free school, and have their shot at the NFL on a P5 team. If you really believe they care if you are still sitting there at the end of the game then you are living in a different era.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
That’s a lot of admirable effort there and to come up with the Amazon analogy, we’ll done, but IMO more than half of our problems is the lines of scrimmage. Sure, the coaching seems suspect but we still have Jimmie’s and joes problem and getting better talent for our coaches to work with has and will continue to be a problem for us. I think the coaches have mostly squeezed the available effort out of the personnel. The talent and size is just not there.
Agreed, the results are going to be slow coming if this was the plan from the jump. Just saying it is another way to look at the choices being made. For many of us, myself included, we see bits of improvement through the repeated failure and are struggling to understand that there is a plan. Even better, a plan that we believe to be cohesive and workable.

Except that kids playing have a short window, as do students attending......those losses cannot be made up down the road. If you really are a "players" coach,.you maximize their experience......not say.....tough luck kid, but 15 years from now we might be good.

I hear you. I’m not advocating that this is the direction I’d have gone, but only saying it is possible (even likely) ADTS knew we were in for short term pain to try to get to long term gain. A lot has been written here and elsewhere about the supreme ability CPJ showed with mastering a system and knowing what to exploit when. Once we were forced off him as a coach, making the break and paying up front is at least a coherent plan - dubious as it is for the immediate future and players.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
You are putting out your beliefs as if they are better than others. I’m like you in that if I paid good money to attend something I’m staying until the end. But that doesn’t mean others can’t leave. Heck, I told my GT student son (came to commiserate with me in the 3rd quarter of the Pitt game from student section) that I wish everyone in the stadium would leave right now as that would absolutely make an impact. And, yes, to be honest I left the VT game with 3 minutes to go and I won’t attend another game this year. I just can’t watch this ineptitude up close any more. It’s too painful to watch #1, #2, and #3 on defense anymore. And your comment about supporting the players is just whimsical fancy. My son knows several players and they could care less about any of us. They got free admisision into GT, are getting free school, and have their shot at the NFL on a P5 team. If you really believe they care if you are still sitting there at the end of the game then you are living in a different era.
I'm not sure if you are serious or if you are trying to make a weird point, but the players certainly prefer (ie care) playing in a packed stadium versus an empty stadium.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Thacker had his guys practicing basic tackling drills earlier this week after so many yards given up after contact. It's been pretty obvious that we have been tackling high so the runners just keep churning and carrying the pile another 2 - 4 yards. May have been his philosophy to hold the runner up and then strip the ball out. It hasn't been working for us. Maybe we should be tackling around the waist or at their legs to stop forward progress. With 4 games left and practicing basic tackling is concerning.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Thacker had his guys practicing basic tackling drills earlier this week after so many yards given up after contact. It's been pretty obvious that we have been tackling high so the runners just keep churning and carrying the pile another 2 - 4 yards. May have been his philosophy to hold the runner up and then strip the ball out. It hasn't been working for us. Maybe we should be tackling around the waist or at their legs to stop forward progress. With 4 games left and practicing basic tackling is concerning.
There are a lot of “scrums” in football where a runner seems to churn yardage out in the middle of 5 or 6 guys combined from both teams but if only one person was on the ground in front of the runner that “scrum” would collapse.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
To me this is another indictment on our coaching staff. I think they have been emphasizing the "flash" of the turnover chains at the expense of fundamentals.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if you are serious or if you are trying to make a weird point, but the players certainly prefer (ie care) playing in a packed stadium versus an empty stadium.
Did you not read the posts? We are talking about being in your seat at the end of the game when we are clearly beaten. Im sure the players do like to come out of the tunnel to a packed house. I agree with you. But, if you think they care that you are still there when down 20 with 5 minutes left then you are nuts. Personally, I don’t care at all what the players think or don’t think. They are a commodity that we replace every couple of years. They get their freebies while here and their training for the NFL to keep them happy and we get some excitement. Its a great system for all involved.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Remember,we were the team that didn't TACKLE in the Sprg game. It was risky for injuries but that to me set the tone for this team.We play TOUCH football---.It sure looks like it at times.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Remember,we were the team that didn't TACKLE in the Sprg game. It was risky for injuries but that to me set the tone for this team.We play TOUCH football---.It sure looks like it at times
In all honesty most college teams don't tackle like us older fans are used to see. I know this will jinx us but a couple of weeks again Miami lead the ACC in miss tackles.