MJ to Play More This Season -

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty impressive that he is losing healthy weight and still gearing up for the season. He has Type 1 Diabetes so I'm sure he is working very closely with the training staff to make sure he is being healthy about it.
I forgot about Jordan having diabetes! Losing weight is always a good idea for us (I have it too). And, yes, I bet the training staff is watching him like a hawk. You feel pretty invulnerable at his age.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jordan was pretty effective running the offense against Miami. He was very decisive and aggressive. Obviously you can't overlook the fumbles, but he did move the ball quite well.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This might be a little off topic but if the majority of the players can stay healthy (knock on wood) I think this could be a special year. We have so much talent in so many positions. I love the model of using MJ in goal line situations. JT isn't exactly suited for that.

Young team but if the O-Line can step their game up a bit and WR and A-backs do their part this team could make it to the ACC Championship.

#Drinkthekool-aid#GoJackets#THWG

When we have had a special O line, we have had a special season.

When we haven't, we haven't. The talent at other positions is far less relevant in a CPJ offense than the O line talent. Period.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
When we have had a special O line, we have had a special season.

When we haven't, we haven't. The talent at other positions is far less relevant in a CPJ offense than the O line talent. Period.
You're right you must have a good OL but I think the bigger problem last year was no deep threat at wide out. The defense was able to stack the line and always had us out numbered. Hopefully that gets better this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes. That fact doesn't change a lot for me. We fumbled a lot more than they did.
But don't you think it is a factor nonetheless? Running an option offense involves a lot more "handling" of the ball which already increases the risk of fumbling. Make the ball perpetually slick in a driving rain storm and I think the odds of Tech fumbling more than Miami increases even more. At least that is conventional wisdom.

But I agree with you that he should still learn to hang onto the ball.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You're right you must have a good OL but I think the bigger problem last year was no deep threat at wide out. The defense was able to stack the line and always had us out numbered. Hopefully that gets better this year.
It wasn't just one thing, it was everything and there was a lot not good. I'd say we regressed at every position group on offense.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
I forgot about Jordan having diabetes! Losing weight is always a good idea for us (I have it too). And, yes, I bet the training staff is watching him like a hawk. You feel pretty invulnerable at his age.
Rudy Allen was a diabetic and an excellent QB for GA Tech back in the day. He was the "other" Rudy when we played Notre Dame during the famous "Rudy" game.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that was as big a problem as the fact that opposing defenses knew our QB never looked for the AB on a vertical route so there no need to cover or even slow down getting outside.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Jordan was pretty effective running the offense against Miami. He was very decisive and aggressive. Obviously you can't overlook the fumbles, but he did move the ball quite well.
I liked what Coach said after the game. I'm paraphrasing:

"I need to remember that part of coaching is keeping my mouth shut. Matthew was late on a pitch, we lost the ball, and I chewed him out about it. And he didn't pitch the ball again for the whole game."

That's what you get from game experience; the ability to see what your coach is actually talking about. I bet Jordan has been reliving the sequences in that game and beating himself up about it ever since. Now he knows what to think about and what to improve.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

I'm sorry but the guy needs to get better/tougher.I still see him NOT tackling that uM LB who was running with our fumble for a TD.I then think of Nesbitt who not ONLY caught a LB but ripped the ball from him. That's the type of QB we need.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but the guy needs to get better/tougher.I still see him NOT tackling that uM LB who was running with our fumble for a TD.I then think of Nesbitt who not ONLY caught a LB but ripped the ball from him. That's the type of QB we need.
Nesbitt also ended his career breaking his arm trying to tackle a VT DB running back a pick, so it's not always a happy ending when the QB tries making a tackle. They don't have the practice reps in to know the best angles to take and have good form.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I chuckled. So you're saying we need a qb who makes legendary plays? What program doesn't?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
But don't you think it is a factor nonetheless? Running an option offense involves a lot more "handling" of the ball which already increases the risk of fumbling. Make the ball perpetually slick in a driving rain storm and I think the odds of Tech fumbling more than Miami increases even more. At least that is conventional wisdom.

But I agree with you that he should still learn to hang onto the ball.
Of course it is a factor. However, it is not an excuse either, if you get my drift. Despite the conditions, he could have handled/protected the ball better and made better decisions. When you think about it, he kept the ball so much in that game that the ball really didn't get "handled" that much more than a conventional offense. If I were to apply percentages to the cause of the fumbles I would say 50% rain, 50% failure to recognize threats and protect the ball quickly enough. Don't get me wrong N.E., I know your are not giving him a free pass either. Having said all this, the Miami game raised my confidence level in MJ's future and not the opposite and I said so the day after when a lot of us were railing him. He was aggressive, physical, and moved the ball. It was very early in his tenure as a QB and such mistakes are sadly predictable. He will learn from it, work on it, and get better. Heck, just look at some of the ridiculous decisions JT made when he first got shoved off the sideline.