Marshall to start versus UNC...

Animal02

Banned
This is frustrating because I don’t see the point in starting TQM at this point. He had his chance. Last year and half of this year. He just doesn’t seem to have the ability to finish a game. Whether it’s failing to pitch it against UT in OT to a wide open RB for then win to keep it himself and not get the TD, or hocking up punts to wide open receivers or other various reasons. He has had his opportunity to claim his role as the guy to finish this season. Well the season is on life support. Literally can’t lose another game for a second season with him at the helm.

He just doesn’t get me excited about the future and that’s what we are playing for at this point. But WTH do I know. I’m just a fan.
Obviously you , who see the players once a week, know so much more than the coaches that see them daily in practice.....:rolleyes:

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
You have to realize that there are players who may look like All Americans in practice yet come game time they aren't even Honorable Mention. And those who may not look as sharp in practice, but when it comes to game time they are on fire. We have seen a body of work for both and it is the actual GAMES that count in your W-L record....not the practices.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tobias deserves to start and play until he struggles. His performance Thursday earned that. I have talked to a lot of folks that have echoed what many are saying. Tobias’ performance and the big win have rejuvenated them and if Johnson goes back to TQM they are done with him.
I wouldn’t want to be Stansbury or Johnson if this is true and we start Taquon and lose to unc.

This is a pretty awesome idea actually. We should have a fan pole and base starters and play time off of these. Team would win more and coaches would never sit on a hot seat again....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't care who starts. I want to see both play, then the most effective one keeps on playing.

If the run is working well, TO probably. If we have to run the flexbone or pass to open things up. Then TM.

This. I think folks are ignoring the fact that VPI never forced us away from what was working so we really have no idea how Oli can actually manage a game or .. *gulp* pass when needed. Several pitch opps were missed, for example, but VPI never made us pay.

I think I'd prefer to see Oliver but I would understand it if Marshall gets the start. I hope to see both, honestly. If you got a weapon, why not use it? Oliver looked like a bull in a china shop at times which is great. But it's also a great way to eventually get hurt.

Honestly, the way the OL was straight maulin' dudes, it's likely the QB was gonna have an epic night regardless who it was. But, since folks wanna simply be critical of the coach, they don't want to admit that.

Animal02

Banned
This. I think folks are ignoring the fact that VPI never forced us away from what was working so we really have no idea how Oli can actually manage a game or .. *gulp* pass when needed. Several pitch opps were missed, for example, but VPI never made us pay.

I think I'd prefer to see Oliver but I would understand it if Marshall gets the start. I hope to see both, honestly. If you got a weapon, why not use it? Oliver looked like a bull in a china shop at times which is great. But it's also a great way to eventually get hurt.

Honestly, the way the OL was straight maulin' dudes, it's likely the QB was gonna have an epic night regardless who it was. But, since folks wanna simply be critical of the coach, they don't want to admit that.
In classic CPJ fashion, he runs the same plays until the defense stops them. In VPI's case, they never really stopped the handful of basic plays that were run. I would hope that TO has a larger grasp of the playbook than those few plays, but we didn't see it, so for people to say he surpasses TM based on the ability to run a handful of plays is just moronic. I do think the fresh set of legs helped, and it exaggerated his strengths. But if you go by history, every QB gets dinged and beat up over the length of the season, the wear and tea gets to them.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If we lose to UNC it probably doesn't matter who starts. It would be our 5th loss and it's hard to see us winning 2 of our last 3 after that.

That being said, if TM does start, and we do end up losing, it'll probably be the nail in the coffin.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is frustrating because I don’t see the point in starting TQM at this point. He had his chance. Last year and half of this year. He just doesn’t seem to have the ability to finish a game. Whether it’s failing to pitch it against UT in OT to a wide open RB for then win to keep it himself and not get the TD, or hocking up punts to wide open receivers or other various reasons. He has had his opportunity to claim his role as the guy to finish this season. Well the season is on life support. Literally can’t lose another game for a second season with him at the helm.

He just doesn’t get me excited about the future and that’s what we are playing for at this point. But WTH do I know. I’m just a fan.
If by “future” you mean the next game, then yeah, we’re playing for the future at this point.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think TO should start until he demonstrates he is not getting the job done. I think the team responds to him better.

Go Jackets!

If we are benching long time starters in ol who grade out at top of team in blocking- bryan, what's so great about the tqm . His reads against Duke were not good.

Both he and lee got almost NO minutes in a beat down of vt. . At VT How much pass blocking, trap blocking ( 1 pull block by hansen fell down when cutting up field, hansen only drove block the whole game - he did very good at this one thing) did we do AS WE RAN 2 plays. It was insulting to lee and Bryan who got very very little time for no meaningful benefit.

FACT : Duke front 7 was 50 / 50 under class / upper class with part time DC (d l coach and db coach shared duty). VT - 80/20 under verses upper w good DC.
At VT we had young guys and so did they.
UNC 20/80 under verses upper class men and a new DC.
Compared to VT , UNC has by far the most defenders and has a DC of whom we have little info.

This would scream the need for experience in both QB AND OL . Look for multiple fronts and schemes that make calls difficult.

To win at UNC I would go w experience at both qb and ol AND have planned young guy rotation.

On the other hand if u play the expierenced guys and get an L, this tells me that the system has serious limits .

So back to Jerry's point="To show me the offense scheme can be taught , play the young guys and win at least 2 of last 4.

Otherwise, I am in the boat the scheme has too many moving parts; its time for the Ramblin Wrek to get a new engine.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
T. Marshall is starting because we are running a pass play on the first play of the game. Then CPJ will put in T. Oliver for the rest of the game. :LOL:

Pass was incomplete at L'Ville and sack at Duke, sounds like a plan. (tic) I could see the starter getting two series, isn't that what the best coach in the history of man (again tic) Saban has done? Or Daba Daba Doo?

Both @BigDaddyBuzz and @Jerry the Jacket think that the team responds better with TO. Good enough for me. I thought I saw that but it's hard to discern given the difference in level of competition.

I still want to see both play since you never know for sure who is going to be the better fit for that day. Some days like Clemson or Bowling Green it won't matter for opposite reasons. But for the next three games, we are closely matched.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
But for the next three games, we are closely matched.

Closely matched?

I guess it depends on what you are judging this by.

Certainly not by talent.

Miami and UNC may be underachieving due to coaching, but both have a good bit more talent than we do. UVA does, too, and they seemingly have a competent coach.

The only reason we can claim “closely matched” is due to CPJ’s mastery of his offense.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I think TQM has played more hurt than healthy this year which has contributed to SOME issues. I also think our O line performance matters as much as who is QB.

TO was a beast Thursday. So was TQM many times before that and yes, has struggled lately. I can tell you that there is no way I would bet my career on the performance of 18-22 year-olds! And I certainly wouldn't put my career in the hands of us crazy fans who think we know best. The one thing I hope is that our fans cheer for whoever starts.........because as much as we are all high on TO after his performance, TQM has much to be proud of and much left to give. Isn't it great to have options?! Go Jackets!!

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Let me reiterate that I do recognize what TQM brings to the O with the ability to run more of the playbook and read defenses better. My point is with the way TO played and how well the o line played by simplifying and eliminating checks, why not start out doing the same against unc. Ultimately I think both play but until someone stops what we did Thursday keep doing it.