Let's talk U(sic)GAg

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Their offense:
Best RB you'll see at this level. I think the Gurley injury doesn't hurt them at all, as I think Chubb is the better player at this point. There won't be any questions or pressure about getting both of them the ball. They can just focus on maximizing Chubb's immense talent.

Very good OL who aren't going to be easily fooled.

Decent QB who can't win them many games but won't lose many for them either. He's a senior and knows what he's doing and probably also knows his limitations and isn't likely to make mistakes.

WR's are good enough to be productive.

They've been running this system for so long with the same staff. They'll have a good plan against us. I'm still glad that their QB isn't a runner. Involving QB's in the run game makes it significantly more difficult to defend, imo. I think we have a chance to limit Chubb, kind of like we limited Gurley last year, but I think Mason will be much more able to hurt us this year than last. As 33J pointed out, they have a good strategy of running 10 or 11 personnel and putting your defense in a personnel/alignment quandary. They can be stopped though or at least slowed down. I'd like to see us focus on stopping Chubb and making Mason beat us, which I'm sure we'll do. The question is if we can truly stop Chubb even if we do focus on him. If we're focused on stopping him and still can't, we're toast. They can pick their poison. I'd like to see us pick our spots to change things up and take some risks to create big plays, as we've done well this season even when we were struggling. If we can get a couple sacks ... if we can create a couple of turnovers whether its via fumble or interception ... if Mason doesn't have his best game (ie making perfect throws that are impossible to defend) ... and most of all if Chubb doesn't exert his will on us ... I like our chances. My hopeful and realistic prediction is 24 points. If we can get that from our D, we still have a great chance to win the game.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Expect to see a lot of Sonny Michel too..
We should have Green back but it won't matter they will get there's we just have to keep up. Continue to be opportunistic with the turnovers. I like Chubb but he in not Gurley (I'm sorry Gurley is on another level). The option of stacking the box won't work due to their ability to pass effectively. IMO we have to be aggressive and take the fight to them. Mix coverages & lots of blitzing. That offense is damn good probably the best we have faced.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The only time all year I think we might be better off taking the ball first. If we can sustain an opening TD drive and put Bobo behind the 8-ball, he seems to have the tendency to unnecessarily get away from the power run game.

If, on the other hand, they come out and get a decent lead, we will be in trouble again (although I don't fear it as much as I did the past few years). UM game plan would be perfect in this one.

They are going to score. I would prefer we load up on the run game, too. If Mason hits some big passes, so be it. We'll just get the ball back against hopefully a tired D. I'd hate to see us try and focus on coverage at the expense of gashing power run plays and long drives.

I do believe we are the mentally stronger team. We haven't laid down at any point this year the way they did vs. UF.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
While I am proud of the strides our defense has made recently, I just don't see them being able to stop UGA. UGA has scored less than 34 points only once this season and that was against a pretty stingy Florida defense. We are going to have to score a lot and probably force a couple of turnovers to have a chance. I don't think we need to completely shut down Chubb. We just need to make him work for it. Limit big plays, and force their offense to grind a little and hopefully the cough a few up to us.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The only time all year I think we might be better off taking the ball first. If we can sustain an opening TD drive and put Bobo behind the 8-ball, he seems to have the tendency to unnecessarily get away from the power run game.
If we take the ball first and score first I wouldn't mind seeing an onside kick either.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I thought Michel was still injured and doubtful to see action this year. Is that not the case?

I think their D will get some stops, but our O will get some points. Just like Clemson this will come down to our D vs their O. As crazy as this sounds, I think I would use our 3-3-5 package against UGAg. I do not think our front 4 can win at the point of attack against the line of UGAg. They pull and roll linemen to get a numbers advantage to one side essentially eliminating the backside LBs and DEs. Line our 3 up over the center and tackles and blitz the gaps with a safety and mike to scrape and contain. Similar to how most teams play our option game (except it is usually a 4-3 look), and make it difficult for the blockers to account for the Mike. Mix in some man free with pressure to see if we can get them behind the sticks occasionally. Let's see if Chubb can carry the rock the whole game getting a few yards per carry.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought Michel was still injured and doubtful to see action this year. Is that not the case?

I think their D will get some stops, but our O will get some points. Just like Clemson this will come down to our D vs their O. As crazy as this sounds, I think I would use our 3-3-5 package against UGAg. I do not think our front 4 can win at the point of attack against the line of UGAg. They pull and roll linemen to get a numbers advantage to one side essentially eliminating the backside LBs and DEs. Line our 3 up over the center and tackles and blitz the gaps with a safety and mike to scrape and contain. Similar to how most teams play our option game (except it is usually a 4-3 look), and make it difficult for the blockers to account for the Mike. Mix in some man free with pressure to see if we can get them behind the sticks occasionally. Let's see if Chubb can carry the rock the whole game getting a few yards per carry.

If we line up in a 3-3-5 hoping to stop the run, it's gonna be a long day.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I don't know as much about their defense. To me it comes down to 4 factors.
1. Can their DL give us a lot of trouble in the middle like Clemson? It wasn't the guy on the playside that was giving us trouble. Their DT's weren't stoning us, we were getting enough movement to gash them with the dive. It was the backside DT beating the angle/scoop block of the backside guard. Those guys were super quick, strong, balanced, and had obviously worked hard on defeating that kind of block. If Ugag doesn't totally defeat that aspect of our run game, they will have a very hard time stopping us. At worst, we will do to them what we did to Miami, and at best we'll score at will as we have with other opponents.
2. Can our AB's block their outside guys? Clemson did this well in this aspect also.
3. Can our WR's make the kinds of plays against their secondary that they made against Clemson? This is where we beat Clemson. If we can do this, we can still score even if they defeat us physically in the run game, because we'll be able to convert on 3rd down, continue moving the ball, make some big plays vertically, and make them have to adjust which will open up the run again.
4. Will the plays we do hit on be 10 yard gashes or 60 yard game changers? If we win on the previous 3 points, it won't matter much because we'll score anyway. But, if Ugag wins those previous 3 and makes points hard to come by, the big plays will be the difference.

CPJ won't get shut down, but can be slowed down with total physical superiority. I'd love to see us exert our will and blow it open on them like we have with others. Clemson's D lived up to its billing. We still produced against them, but it was tough sledding. I don't think Ugag is that level, but it's hard to tell because of different competition. My gut says they're about UVA level and we'll score in the 30's.

Ugag is playing their best ball right now and have looked like one of the best teams in the country in blowing out Kentucky and Auburn. It will be a GREAT win if we can achieve it. I believe we can. It will be a huge challenge.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

I don't think we are going to stop it, but I think if we can make them grind (3-4 ypp) it out they will make mistakes. This is the one time I can think of where bend/don't break may be a good thing. I just do not think they can be disciplined enough to grind it out on O. Most teams try to beat them up front and they get 9-10 yards out of a run, or break a long one. Make Chubb grind it out a bit at a time and they make some mistakes. When they get to our 30 sell out and play man from time to time. Try to make them get 3 instead of 6.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
i also think that their O coordinator is an idiot sometimes, he gets bored with the run, even when its working and will inexplicably call pass plays in retarted situations

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
hope we can lay some hellacious licks on Chubb and try to rip the ball out at every opportunity, Michelle is out with acl amirite? i think its just Chubb and the turncoat Douglas left.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
hope we can lay some hellacious licks on Chubb and try to rip the ball out at every opportunity, Michelle is out with acl amirite? i think its just Chubb and the turncoat Douglas left.
Michel is ankle injury

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, it doesn't matter what RB they put in. They line up the backup center at RB and still gain 100 yds with that offensive line. What we need to do is score on every possession and eat up the clock. Our D will need time off the field. uga is too deep to have our D on the field for long periods of time. If we can keep the ball for 60%+(36+ min), with a 0 or positive in turnover margin, I think we win the game.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
we can totally demoralize their D if our O is working, they will be flashing back to Florida and lay down i think if we keep gashing them

thwgjacket

Their D will be about as good as UVA's or VT's. Not nearly as good as Clemson's. Chubb is about the 3rd best RB we've seen. Mason reminds of a less panicky Cole Stoudt. Not the Stoudt we saw against us but when he knew he was going to start. They will be the best all-around team we have seen but we have seen better pieces on other teams.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck

If you are proposing to remove a LB an add a safety blitz to reduce Chubb's damage, that won't work. All that does is reduce weight/strength in the interior.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If you are proposing to remove a LB an add a safety blitz to reduce Chubb's damage, that won't work. All that does is reduce weight/strength in the interior.
I am proposing to remove a lineman and add a LB, and use a safety for run support. 4 players to defend the pass, and 7 for the run. Their runs are power based where they pull guards and tackles, so a DE will be out of the play by default. The LB and Safety will even out the playside numbers.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Their D will be about as good as UVA's or VT's. Not nearly as good as Clemson's. Chubb is about the 3rd best RB we've seen. Mason reminds of a less panicky Cole Stoudt. Not the Stoudt we saw against us but when he knew he was going to start. They will be the best all-around team we have seen but we have seen better pieces on other teams.

I would love to believe you on these points, but respect needs to be given to the athletic advantage they will have on us. Chubb is not as fast as Duke Johnson, or as big as Pitt's RB, but I believe he will be our toughest test. Their D will be a step below CU's but not by much. Mason is better than Stoudt, and has more weapons to throw to. Where the Gurley injury hurts them is the screen game and return game.