Legitimate observation/question

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
(Not going after Coach Collins) So, just based off of outside observation, I think we may have a Butch Jones situation on our hands. Just all the #s and tag lines, uniforms ect. I’m a graduate of Tennessee and feel as if I’ve seen this same song and dance. However, I do give Coach Collins credit in his time as a great DC on other teams(Butch Jones was never a coordinator). I completely understand and agree with CPJ had become stubborn and lackluster, however, at Georgia Tech we will never out recruit the factories. We saw this under the Chan years when it’s the best we’ve ever recruited a program history . I feel at Georgia Tech we need to be innovative on offense ala the option. I felt that offense gave us an advantage when we played factories. We just needed a fresh coach other than CPJ. I was all for Monken to be our coach. This does not mean I do not want Collins to fail. That’s not what we need as a program. I just feel I’ve seen the same thing before.

Hasn’t Butch Jones been the best UT coach out of he last 4? I mean , he actually took Tennesse to some bowl games didn’t he? That seems like a good accomplishment.

slugboy

Staff member
Legitimate question, how many of you guys definitely know what offense the other team is running? Like do you know what offense Lincoln Riley running? Mike Lochslee? Mack Brown?

I think Riley is air raid, but I’d be hard pressed to prove it. https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...ey-oklahoma-sooners-offense-bob-stoops-legacy. Definitely pass happy, big O-line out of a two point stance.

Mack Brown has Phil Longo as his OC. I thought he was running a standard-ish single back pro-style offense, but he’s coming up air raid too: https://www.tarheelblog.com/2018/12...raid-phil-longo-ole-miss-run-game-competition . I you’d asked me after Wake Forest, I wouldn’t have said “air raid”, but I’d have said they can pass the ball.

FWIW, UNC looks like they’re doing the same thing on offense we’re trying to do on offense. They’re faster at it, and making more of the right moves.

Locksley is “multiple pistol/spread”.

I get your point. Aside from Army, Navy, UCF, App State, and Washington State, I’m hard pressed to tell you. I should know Ohio State and Penn State and a bunch of other schools. I just don’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think Riley is air raid, but I’d be hard pressed to prove it. https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...ey-oklahoma-sooners-offense-bob-stoops-legacy. Definitely pass happy, big O-line out of a two point stance.

Mack Brown has Phil Longo as his OC. I thought he was running a standard-ish single back pro-style offense, but he’s coming up air raid too: https://www.tarheelblog.com/2018/12...raid-phil-longo-ole-miss-run-game-competition . I you’d asked me after Wake Forest, I wouldn’t have said “air raid”, but I’d have said they can pass the ball.

FWIW, UNC looks like they’re doing the same thing on offense we’re trying to do on offense. They’re faster at it, and making more of the right moves.

Locksley is “multiple pistol/spread”.

I get your point. Aside from Army, Navy, UCF, App State, and Washington State, I’m hard pressed to tell you. I should know Ohio State and Penn State and a bunch of other schools. I just don’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. Other than niche coaches, every coach will tell you they are multiple with power or zone run scheme

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Legitimate question, how many of you guys definitely know what offense the other team is running? Like do you know what offense Lincoln Riley running? Mike Lochslee? Mack Brown?

Raises hand. Well not their specific terminology or anything, but whether or not they are leaning on inside/outside zone, leverage based passing, west coast routes, spread concepts, spread formations with air raid concepts, zone option concepts vs veer etc. Right now our offenses problem is execution and execution in a way that suggest not enough reps. I think it has a lot to do with getting to cute with things in the fall camp. We seemed to only practice a small portion of plays in spring but we were much better at them, especially our passing concepts. Now that might have been our o-line vs our d-line but from what we've seen from our pass defense against far better teams (clemson really sticks out here) It may not have been. To use a pro equivalent look at how "off" Matt Ryan and the falcons have been in Koetters air coryall(sp can't remember the actual spelling of the system last time i read up on it was 2012) and that is group of pros with some familiarity with the system. They look like they haven't practiced enough. So do we.

CPJ used to always say around this time of a bad season (2015, 2010, 2012) That he was going to simplify things. That usually meant focusing on a package or two for a couple weeks that he felt gave us the best chance to try to turn things around. In 2015 this actually lead to the FSU upset. We ran the hell out of midline and power in that game, far better than the a-back oriented offense we had been running up to that point (with injured a-backs.) Doesn't always mean good season and I did see some of that in the game now that i've watched it again ( i know im a masochist) while not drinking, however I don't see an OC adapting to his injuries. I'm not seeing tight end chip and releases on ends to buy time often. Or Power run concepts pulling lineman to try to create holes. Hell things we saw in spring really. This is where the frustration is.

Also Curry really needs to not be on the field.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I do want to add im not calling curry out as a person I like his attitude and his heart but I don't think he ever really recovered from his injuries. He just doesn't have makeup speed which means if he makes one wrong move, one ineffecient placement he can't recover and is a liability. Some one with speed, might be able to.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Right now our offenses problem is execution and execution in a way that suggest not enough reps. I think it has a lot to do with getting to cute with things in the fall camp. We seemed to only practice a small portion of plays in spring but we were much better at them, especially our passing concepts.

In the spring our defense play calling was limited to make the offense look better than it actually was. That's why it looked better. Also, we do lack reps. Not because of getting cute, but because of completely switching systems.

CPJ used to always say around this time of a bad season (2015, 2010, 2012) That he was going to simplify things. That usually meant focusing on a package or two for a couple weeks that he felt gave us the best chance to try to turn things around. In 2015 this actually lead to the FSU upset. We ran the hell out of midline and power in that game, far better than the a-back oriented offense we had been running up to that point (with injured a-backs.)

What? In 2015 against FSU we scored 16 offensive points and handed them 10 points on a silver platter on turnovers. We won that game because we held them to 16, including shutting them out in the second half, and made an all time great special teams play to win it.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
How many players on GT offense could start at Oklahoma? Maybe 1 ? Cpj knew what was coming . The O talent was very thin except RB .

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Right now our offenses problem is execution and execution in a way that suggest not enough reps.

According to the coaches, everyone ATL gets the same number of reps. I am of the opinion that if the 1s (even though they aren't labeled that way) don't understand the system well enough to run it, then they should be getting more reps. It doesn't matter how well prepared the 2s are if even the 1s aren't able to perform the plays.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Raises hand. Well not their specific terminology or anything, but whether or not they are leaning on inside/outside zone, leverage based passing, west coast routes, spread concepts, spread formations with air raid concepts, zone option concepts vs veer etc. Right now our offenses problem is execution and execution in a way that suggest not enough reps. I think it has a lot to do with getting to cute with things in the fall camp. We seemed to only practice a small portion of plays in spring but we were much better at them, especially our passing concepts. Now that might have been our o-line vs our d-line but from what we've seen from our pass defense against far better teams (clemson really sticks out here) It may not have been. To use a pro equivalent look at how "off" Matt Ryan and the falcons have been in Koetters air coryall(sp can't remember the actual spelling of the system last time i read up on it was 2012) and that is group of pros with some familiarity with the system. They look like they haven't practiced enough. So do we.

CPJ used to always say around this time of a bad season (2015, 2010, 2012) That he was going to simplify things. That usually meant focusing on a package or two for a couple weeks that he felt gave us the best chance to try to turn things around. In 2015 this actually lead to the FSU upset. We ran the hell out of midline and power in that game, far better than the a-back oriented offense we had been running up to that point (with injured a-backs.) Doesn't always mean good season and I did see some of that in the game now that i've watched it again ( i know im a masochist) while not drinking, however I don't see an OC adapting to his injuries. I'm not seeing tight end chip and releases on ends to buy time often. Or Power run concepts pulling lineman to try to create holes. Hell things we saw in spring really. This is where the frustration is.

Also Curry really needs to not be on the field.
Our qb seldom has a clean pocket and is usually gets chzsrd before he passes or scramble.

How is a freshmen qb supposed to be a field general when the enemy is coming over the walls?

With all the injuries its hard for the ol to be coordinated. Maybe it will click and we will get hats on the right defenders.
By the watching hansen - he seems to still have a shoulder problem.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well who are they ? No O linemen no QB their RB will play in the league so tell me who on GT offense would start for the citadel?
Using the Citadel game ATL and Depth Charts
Oliver could start for them in their system as QB and he would do very well.
Mason or Howard could start for them as a BB.
Cooper, Hansen, Lee, Lagod, and Quinney could start on their line.
Jarrett, Cottrell, and/or Blancato could start for them as ABs.
Camp, Carter, and/or Harris could start for them as WRs.

Which RB of theirs are you saying is being projected as an NFL draft prospect?

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Using the Citadel game ATL and Depth Charts
Oliver could start for them in their system as QB and he would do very well.
Mason or Howard could start for them as a BB.
Cooper, Hansen, Lee, Lagod, and Quinney could start on their line.
Jarrett, Cottrell, and/or Blancato could start for them as ABs.
Camp, Carter, and/or Harris could start for them as WRs.

Which RB of theirs are you saying is being projected as an NFL draft prospect?
Sessions will be drafted and if you think Oliver is better than their QB well I guess you know more than some people that make their living scouting and coaching football. I have been told by professional coaches and college coaches the TALENT level at GT is as low as it has ever been . There is 55 freshmen on this team and the talent level will start to improve after this next class and these freshmen get older. One college coach told me that at the end of last season GT had not one player that could make the 2 deep at ugag or Clem’s son . No one is a bigger GT fan than I am but sometimes you have to take off the gold glasses.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Sessions will be drafted and if you think Oliver is better than their QB well I guess you know more than some people that make their living scouting and coaching football. I have been told by professional coaches and college coaches the TALENT level at GT is as low as it has ever been . There is 55 freshmen on this team and the talent level will start to improve after this next class and these freshmen get older. One college coach told me that at the end of last season GT had not one player that could make the 2 deep at ugag or Clem’s son . No one is a bigger GT fan than I am but sometimes you have to take off the gold glasses.

He isn't listed on ANY NFL draft scouting site that I could find. Where did you get information that he is a lock to be drafted? I guess you know better than people who make their living scouting NFL prospects.

Oliver is faster and shiftier than Rainey. Oliver looked good running a very similar offense last year. In fact, Oliver looked better than Rainey when he was running a very similar offense last year.

I thought you were asking who on GT could start for Citadel. That is what I answered. Now you change it to who could start for Clemson?

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
He isn't listed on ANY NFL draft scouting site that I could find. Where did you get information that he is a lock to be drafted? I guess you know better than people who make their living scouting NFL prospects.

Oliver is faster and shiftier than Rainey. Oliver looked good running a very similar offense last year. In fact, Oliver looked better than Rainey when he was running a very similar offense last year.

I thought you were asking who on GT could start for Citadel. That is what I answered. Now you change it to who could start for Clemson?
Oliver is no QB ! The Citadel QB can run and pass . And for sessions being drafted I got it from a division One head coach but I guess you know more than he does!