Last Year's UGA Game

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
that there is no way on God's green earth his arm motion had anything to do with a real forward pass, and the refs don't have to read his mind to see that.
But they rule forward pass all the time on plays just like that where you could say the same thing. That is why the replay is only used to determine if the arm is going forward. In this case they went beyond the usual "arm going forward" letter of the law and I just want to know if the rule book allows them to do that. That is all. I know you and I are going to get frustrated if we keep this up but I am asking a simple question. It matters not how the play looked to you or me. It only matters what the rule books says. That is why they call it a rule book. :)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
But they rule forward pass all the time on plays just like that where you could say the same thing. That is why the replay is only used to determine if the arm is going forward. In this case they went beyond the usual "arm going forward" letter of the law and I just want to know if the rule book allows them to do that. That is all. I know you and I are going to get frustrated if we keep this up but I am asking a simple question. It matters not how the play looked to you or me. It only matters what the rule books says. That is why they call it a rule book. :)
Not that it matters, but the rule is clear. It's a hard-fast rule, not a judgement call. If the hand is moving forward, it's an incomplete pass.

I understand what others are saying about why they feel it's a 50/50 call.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
JT has already stated that this was a pass that he originally wanted to throw to Waller as seen in the replay. He changed his mind and tried to regrip the ball, but the momentum was too strong for his re-grip. This was not a pump fake that he was trying to tuck. I think the refs determined this was a pump fake that he "dropped".

CPJ said the ACC refs agreed that this was clearly an incomplete pass and the head ACC ref lodge a complaint.

I believe this was an intended pass that he changed his mind on too late to hang onto the ball. But is this a fumble or a bad pass.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow

My least favorite are the calls of incomplete on passes where the QB tries to throw forward, but the ball goes backward due to contact. That should be a live ball just like any attempted forward pass that turns into a lateral. By the same token, a forward pass is still a forward pass even if the QB was trying to pump-fake.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Along with the crappy "fumble" calls, I think I was most incensed with the repeated molestation of snapper on the blocked field goal and extra point in OT...

No way those were legal plays...

The issue was not sack vs fumble, it was fumble vs incomplete pass. If we had the correct call on the 100 yard "fumble return" all of that would be a moot point anyway.

As CPJ said after the game...it didn't have to be that close.
Very true. But in the grand scheme of things, I don't think any other route to the outcome would have delivered such gut-wrenching, long lasting pain to muttnation. In that regard, there's not one thing I would change about the entire game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Very true. But in the grand scheme of things, I don't think any other route to the outcome would have delivered such gut-wrenching, long lasting pain to muttnation. In that regard, there's not one thing I would change about the entire game.
Now that you mention it I had not thought of this comparison before. Our overtime loss in 2013 was gut wrenching but in some ways uga's loss last year was probably more gut wrenching for them since they thought they had it won at several different points in the course of the game. We had victory snatched from us at the end of the 2013 game whereas last year they had victory snatched from them at least three or four times. I'm going to say their pain was worse. :)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You know what? You and Stinger are just mean. Surely you feel their pain.Which in turn anticipates IronJacket7's inquiry: because it's fun.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
If you didn't record it you can find it on YouTube. Georgia obviously was not giving the -- here we go with the rules again -- required one count delay before hammering him.

But the refs believed it was their intention to give the 1 count delay so they did not call it...sorry, I couldn't resist that one :) :) :)

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Now that you mention it I had not thought of this comparison before. Our overtime loss in 2013 was gut wrenching but in some ways uga's loss last year was probably more gut wrenching for them since they thought they had it won at several different points in the course of the game. We had victory snatched from us at the end of the 2013 game whereas last year they had victory snatched from them at least three or four times. I'm going to say their pain was worse. :)

IDK...2013 hurt a lot. If we had not given up a 20 point lead it might not have stung so bad. I was hanging on right up until the last series when I realized our only chance to win was to make the TD and go for 2.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
IDK...2013 hurt a lot. If we had not given up a 20 point lead it might not have stung so bad. I was hanging on right up until the last series when I realized our only chance to win was to make the TD and go for 2.
Yes. It hurt. Like hell.

But there are different kinds of hurt. Nuances of hurt, if you will.

In 2013 I started feeling dark and doomed when we missed a chance to score another touchdown before the half. I felt even darker when Mark Richt was interviewed at half time and confidently predicted that Vad Lee was going to progress to the mean and then said, "We'll be alright." Ouch.

The second half got me further depressed and then when uga tied the score and sent it into overtime I knew it was over. Georgia seemed to know that too.

Last year's game felt different in every way. First, I felt like we had a chance and I never gave up. Secondly we played hard all the way through the game. Last but not least, Georgia always assumes they are going to beat Tech and every time they were in a position in this game to assume the usual outcome we broke their heart. A relative of mine who went to uga was very subdued after this game. Totally different demeanor than in 2008. Just quiet. Flat affect. Pensive.
I think this game hurt them bad and hurt them deeply.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Yes. It hurt. Like hell.

In 2013 I started feeling dark and doomed when we missed a chance to score another touchdown before the half. I felt even darker when Mark Richt was interviewed at half time and confidently predicted that Vad Lee was going to progress to the mean and then said, "We'll be alright." Ouch.

The second half got me further depressed and then when uga tied the score and sent it into overtime I knew it was over. Georgia seemed to know that too.

Last year's game felt different in every way. First, I felt like we had a chance and I never gave up. Secondly we played hard all the way through the game. Last but not least, Georgia always assumes they are going to beat Tech and every time they were in a position in this game to assume the usual outcome we broke their heart. A relative of mine who went to uga was very subdued after this game. Totally different demeanor than in 2008. Just quiet. Flat affect. Pensive.
We need to absolutely stomp them this season. I think we all know what a winning streak for us against them will do to their fairweather fans. People were leaving in droves in the late 90s. I remember the game where we kicked the winning field goal after getting it blocked on 3rd down, I had a supposed die hard uga fan with me. He left as a Tech fan, then switched to Tennessee years later.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes. It hurt. Like hell.

I disagree. In the past we always found a way to lose. It felt no different last year. When JT fumbled that pump fake or whatever it was, I felt it was happening again. I was not surprised in the least when the mutts went ahead on that 4th down pass with 18 seconds left. I really thought it was over at that point. Then we had 3 amazing plays in a row with the return, the scramble and the kick. I thought we had a chance, but was far from certain.

When we shredded them in OT with 6 consecutive runs to the right side behind Shaq I thought we had it in the bag, then something very COFH happened, the blocked PAT. I thought that was it, the curse strikes again. Uga would score a td then win it on the extra point. I was shocked by the INT. I was thrilled, but I was shocked.