Jordan yates

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Is the most accurate passer I have seen in a long time at tech I believe he will be the Starting QB by mid season everyone else is either too inconsistent or their arm is too weak the next best QB to me Is 16 Liam Byrne I think. That’s his name .
Nothing against you, so please don’t take this wrong. This is way off from what I’ve heard. I’ll also say he’s been going against the 3’s and 4’s, which is way different than the 1’s and 2’s. Then again I haven’t seen, so I can’t say much lol.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Were I a great RB or potentially so, why would I go to an offense that throws the ball half the time? Now he is a blocker 30-40% of the plays, maybe run an occasional route, and shares the few running plays with other backs. You know, kind of like the A backs of the recent past.

As of this moment I realize there is a difference in our situation, but last year CU rushed for about 53% of their plays, and ugag rushed in about 52% of theirs.

They both seem to be able to attract decent RBs. Not to mention the other half of the equation - “if I were a great QB...”

Balance. And CGC is talking a lot about getting his S/As to the next level.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Were I a great RB or potentially so, why would I go to an offense that throws the ball half the time? Now he is a blocker 30-40% of the plays, maybe run an occasional route, and shares the few running plays with other backs. You know, kind of like the A backs of the recent past.

Because that's how you get to the NFL? Why would anyone want to become an a back unless they had no other offers? Last time I checked we only had Dwyer and Allen drafted in the past decade and they were recruited by Gailey.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Because that's how you get to the NFL? Why would anyone want to become an a back unless they had no other offers? Last time I checked we only had Dwyer and Allen drafted in the past decade and they were recruited by Gailey.

I agree with you. But for the record, Allen transferred from Louisville in CPJ’s first year.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with you. But for the record, Allen transferred from Louisville in CPJ’s first year.

From what I remember he committed when Gailey was here then decided to keep his commitment after we hired CPJ. But I could be wrong.. it's been a while now. :)

Either way it doesn't change the fact that big time running backs weren't interested in playing for CPJ. After 08/09 I thought we would have a pipeline of Dwyer's coming in but unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I dont think we will see Yates this year unless there are a couple injuries. There are 3 guys ahead of him on the depth chart and all 3 desperately need game snaps

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
From what I remember he committed when Gailey was here then decided to keep his commitment after we hired CPJ. But I could be wrong.. it's been a while now. :)

He definitely committed to CPJ. Gailey was fired right after the UGA game. It was a couple weeks later that Allen announced his transfer, and then it was a good while after that before he announced GT.
https://www.cardchronicle.com/2007/12/13/143440/72

Obviously doesn't change your point, though.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think we will see QB by committee of top 2 or 3 candidates in first 3 games and hopefully someone will rise up and claim the spot as we get into the meat of our schedule.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I’d play several of the QBs against Clemson and see who does the best under the pressure of an elite defense.
Probably see 3rd string QB or even Yates late in the game if we are getting blown out. Yates may see 4 games but I expect a redshirt this year especially if LJ gets another year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, Lucas looking for an extra year suggests to me that he doesn't expect to be a two year starter.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I am higher, by far on Yates and the 2020 recruit, Tucker Gleason, as far as the future goes. But if Lucas or Graham or Oliver grab the job and keep it and prove me wrong, great. It is nice to have options we haven't had lately.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Either way it doesn't change the fact that big time running backs weren't interested in playing for CPJ. After 08/09 I thought we would have a pipeline of Dwyer's coming in but unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

There was a story about CPJ's recruiting of Ant. Originally he was skeptical because he didn't understand the AB position. CPJ said he would have between 500-800 yards rushing and around 500 yards receiving...and also develop into a BB down the road.

After hearing that, Ant decided to come to GT. I gather from that story Ant didn't come to GT until after Gailey was let go.