JJ Green

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I remember watching the game against Troy and he was ejected for targeting. That was the one time I saw him play this year, and it was at safety.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He must have had this drafted for about 30 hours already.
Disagree. He had this drafted the moment we refused to release Carter to UGA. Was just waiting for an opportunity to fill in the names.

Nevermind the fact that it's an apples to bananas comparison.

He and Chuck Dowdle have such punchable faces. That "Whut, I'm not biased for the dawgs" look.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Carvell's tears are sweet and tasty.
Well @flounder, you went and mentioned Carvell's tears, leaving me no choice but to post this.

giphy.gif

WELCOME TO THE SQUAD JJ!!!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually, Carvell has done a relatively fair job of reporting on Tech recruiting over the past several months. But I DO imagine he was smiling big time as he wrote that.
I agree he's been more fair recently, but he had this teed up to serve his narrative instead of bringing the girls from Bama & Kansas State, respectively, that went through hell to transfer in women's hoops.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree he's been more fair recently, but he had this teed up to serve his narrative instead of bringing the girls from Bama & Kansas State, respectively, that went through hell to transfer in women's hoops.

Or the Phil Martelli case:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/42525/what-is-phil-martelli-doing

These are examples where a coach was abusing the ability to block a transfer. If his goal was to expose this issue, this is where he would've gone.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Disagree. He had this drafted the moment we refused to release Carter to UGA. Was just waiting for an opportunity to fill in the names.

Nevermind the fact that it's an apples to bananas comparison.

I do believe there is a media bias, and am sure that Carvell has been waiting to raise this one for sure. That said, does he not have a point? I get why comparing Carter to Miller was apples to bananas, but why is this? To be honest, I applaud Richt for having a no restriction rule. As much as I would hate seeing some of our players go to our rival schools, why should a coach have any say over what school a kid can attend. Certainly, if a coach wants to leave and go coach for the rival, the kid has no say in that. Assuming they have to sit out a year, kids should be free to go where they want.

Of course, all that said, it is important to consider what the standard practice is, and that Tech coaches are less restrictive than a lot of programs.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Check out the UGA game pics on the main page of this site. There's a nice shot of him on the UGA sidelines with his subtle GA red. I believe it's the shot of Austin recovering the onside kick.
I am a bit confused. Hasn't Dowdle worked for UGA for years or decades now? Just like Randy Waters has for Tech? They came from local sports news broadcasting, and still do work in that capacity somewhat, but both have also clearly been associated with and worked for the broadcast of the local college teams respectively. So I am confused at the attacks on Dowdle here as supposed to be objective when he and Waters are clearly tied to a specific state program.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I am a bit confused. Hasn't Dowdle worked for UGA for years or decades now? Just like Randy Waters has for Tech? They came from local sports news broadcasting, and still do work in that capacity somewhat, but both have also clearly been associated with and worked for the broadcast of the local college teams respectively. So I am confused at the attacks on Dowdle here as supposed to be objective when he and Waters are clearly tied to a specific state program.

Oh it's just hate week-esque vitriol. No need to apply logic to it.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I do believe there is a media bias, and am sure that Carvell has been waiting to raise this one for sure. That said, does he not have a point? I get why comparing Carter to Miller was apples to bananas, but why is this? To be honest, I applaud Richt for having a no restriction rule. As much as I would hate seeing some of our players go to our rival schools, why should a coach have any say over what school a kid can attend. Certainly, if a coach wants to leave and go coach for the rival, the kid has no say in that. Assuming they have to sit out a year, kids should be free to go where they want.

Of course, all that said, it is important to consider what the standard practice is, and that Tech coaches are less restrictive than a lot of programs.
First on Carvell, he is not making a point. This is clearly just a thoughtless line tagged on to increase clicks. No big deal imo.

Second, no he has no point anyway. Look at what Richt does over there at UGA. He tries to take somewhat of a higher road than most SEC and factory head coaches, probably because of his personal ethics and basic attempts to be a decent person. This means that he does not really oversign on NSD and he does actually have some kind of rules he is willing to ultimately enforce as regards drug (marijuana) use with penalties for positive tests, as well as does give suspensions and eventually dismissals for conduct at a pace and rate far beyond the rest of the SEC and most factories. He does all that despite a fan base that has a huge contingent which says he should stop testing for marijuana, or handing down these suspensions, etc. This noisy contingent constantly complains that Richt is too willing to "handcuff" himself with enforcing team rules and such when the rest of the conference does not do this.

This is all nice that Richt is more ethical than a typical factory coach. It is also impressive he can consistently compete in such a dirty conference when you see the fanbase of UF run Muschamp out right quick for coming in and being told to clean up the program and then actually doing so. So how does Richt compete while trying to stay somewhat "clean"?

Let's put to the side institutional chicanery that goes on at UGA by its network of recruiting bagmen as well as exploitation of student-athletes by defrauding them of an education and meaningful degree. What Richt does is he has an open door policy in recruiting where he takes any and all top prospects w/o regard to literacy, character, judgment, etc.

This let's him compete because he knows that many of them will fail out or get arrested or not live by team rules and he will thus have the turnover necessary to sign 30 a year without oversigning (and he can selectively discipline based on depth chart). That lets him generate competition, get infusions of youth at the skill positions (especially dealing with injuries), and compete with the other factories. But if you take this approach then you do not want to restrict the movement out of players who are not cutting it on the depth chart . . . you need their path out of Athens to be as uncomplicated as possible!

It only makes perfect sense that Richt must have an open-door "out" policy on transfers to go with his open-door "in" recruiting.

Last edited:

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
a spy? that sounds like something bama would do. especially during the dodd bear era.

Nah. From reading between the lines, he wants to play offense. Uga probably told him he could play rb, so he went there. Then, during his freshman year, they recruit 3 more tailbacks and promptly move him to DB after the year ends. He could have a huge axe to grind. Not to mention it will help even out some Aback class balancing. And he can return kicks.
I trust PJ. If he is a problem he won't be here long. Give the dude a chance.

besides it helps how we are perceived. when we sign a kid we dont bait and switch positions. ie we gave vad every chance in the world to succeed here and even helped him on his way out the door.
Possible double agent. I don't like the sounds of this. It is like Muschamp going to UF. Sounds like a weak attempt by Richt to infiltrate our program with a spy. Just watch. The pups will have our signs next year and Green will cough up about 4 fumbles the saturday after Thanksgiving.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Oh it's just hate week-esque vitriol. No need to apply logic to it.
Ok, I didn't mean to be taken to protest hating Dowdle. I can't stand the guy either. I was just confused that it seems a couple of comments suggested I could have been wrong in that I thought he was clearly affiliated with UGA. I mean it when I say I am confused. :) I wasn't sure why anyone would take him as or expect him to be objective. So I just meant to differentiate him from Carvell on that score.

Last edited: