Is this a permissible contact?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
President Peterson is about to start a little speaking tour around the state and someone wanted to know if one of our prospects could come to one of the functions. No lunch, no door prize or anything like that for the young man. Just a chance to meet school prez.
Can the school prez meet a recruit this time of year?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
President Peterson is about to start a little speaking tour around the state and someone wanted to know if one of our prospects could come to one of the functions. No lunch, no door prize or anything like that for the young man. Just a chance to meet school prez.
That's really a good question. But it would be a hell of a thing of the NCAA said a school president could not meet a potential student, wouldn't it? My guess would be they could spend all the time together the president wanted. But it is the NCAA, where gods go to dwell.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Probably so.

But, my gut says that this is a surprisingly complicated answer, per the usual NCAA view on things. There's an outside chance that the answer is simple. But, given that simple answers often aren't accurate, the moving parts could potentially include:
* What year in h.s. is the student-athlete?
* Budd is not just the president. He was a football player in college.
* He is an employee of the Institute, and is therefore always technically a "booster" I believe.
* The student-athlete and family initiate the visit/contact, which could be a good thing despite all the above
* What do they talk about while together vs. what do they not talk about?

I'll brace myself for the onslaught of comments that ridicule any notion that this is complicated. But, I am an alumni board member at my college alma mater. We got an annual NCAA compliance lecture, complete with brochure, because simply by serving in that way we were now all considered "boosters" for athletic purposes. Innocent conversations/contact with student-athletes are perilously easy places to mess up.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Of course a prospective STUDENT can go to hear the president of one of the universities he's looking at attending. That's a no brainer.

Of course a prospective STUDENT can go to hear the president of one of the universities he's looking at attending. That's a no brainer.
The question was not could he hear the president, but could he meet him. Is it allowable for the school president to talk one-on-one with a HS student who is or might be a recruit, given that the situation arises?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The question was not could he hear the president, but could he meet him. Is it allowable for the school president to talk one-on-one with a HS student who is or might be a recruit, given that the situation arises?
IMO, it's definitely OK. He's going to hear the president of a prospective university speak. If he meets the speaker, that's a natural occurrence.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
IMO, it's definitely OK. He's going to hear the president of a prospective university speak. If he meets the speaker, that's a natural occurrence.
I got the other way. The head guy ought to jump in with both feet if he is a prospect, either athlete or student. But then sometimes I think waving a red flag in front of NCAA bullies is a good thing.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Hey how ironic is this- GT's worrying about having student athletes having too much/impermissible contact with Institute leadership, faculty, etc. Most other schools the damn athlete don't even touch a real computer or a text book. Hell I'm sure there are some that have never even seen the inside of their colleges classroom and unless their university president is chasing hoes down at their equivalent of the Cheetah they've got zero percent chance of seeing their president unless it's at the football stadium.