House vs. NCAA

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That is exactly where GT struggles. Many uga alumni will give their last dollar on their deathbed to pay a kid if it means they win at football. At GT the donors want it a specific way and if those needs aren't met then dollars dry up. GT has GT (all things GT) supporters. uga has uga football supporters. GT NEEDS far more GT football supporters that make an impact. Ones that will go bankrupt pushing the team to a natty lol.
I agree but that's not likely to ever happen. GT grads/fans generally know how to prioritize what's truly important, and at the end of the day, college football is not very important. Plenty of uga fans will put themselves into debt if they think it will help their team.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree but that's not likely to ever happen. GT grads/fans generally know how to prioritize what's truly important, and at the end of the day, college football is not very important. Plenty of uga fans will put themselves into debt if they think it will help their team.
So all of the gt alumni giving ( which is doing great) culminates at
A. DRONE RACE CHAMPIONSHIP ?
B. BRITTAN DINING HALL DRY ROLL THROW?.
C ANNUAL GT RESEARCH( who is up to billion a year) GRANT FROM LOCKHEED?
D. GTAA (who has been acc bottom feeder) Football HOMECOMING ?
Answer D. A competent nationally branded football team homecoling game is a perfect frame for gt brand which is,.Gt grads are great in class and on field.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree. That’s why those who run GT need to use their smarts and figure out how to get money to where it does help. A winning product absolutely increases the GT brand. Anyone who has ever googled “Georgia Tech” knows that 28 of the first 30 articles that pop up are related to athletics. It shouldn’t be that way but that’s the reality. Alumni don’t come to campus to watch a EE presentation. There is plenty of money out there to ”prime the pump”. Our leaders just have to have a will to do it.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I agree. That’s why those who run GT need to use their smarts and figure out how to get money to where it does help. A winning product absolutely increases the GT brand. Anyone who has ever googled “Georgia Tech” knows that 28 of the first 30 articles that pop up are related to athletics. It shouldn’t be that way but that’s the reality. Alumni don’t come to campus to watch a EE presentation. There is plenty of money out there to ”prime the pump”. Our leaders just have to have a will to do it.
Why does GT need to increase its brand though? It's already a top 5 engineering school with very selective admissions. there is not much room to move up in regards to its main focus.

Alumni may not come to campus to watch an EE presentation, but students do.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Simply put. Players should be employees and should be paid equal to what the market suggests. Not what some former alumni believe they should be paid. I will continue to support this transition and hope GT leads the way pushing for the players to be compensated by the school itself.

I also hope GT floods the football program with cash to let them compete with the top 10 teams in the country. This is the only way forward.
And sign them to multi year cotracts. You get a 3-4 star, coach him up, and he's locked in for contract duration. Let the elite fight for the 5 stars. Minimizes portal crap which is just amplifies NIL/ Pay

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Why does GT need to increase its brand though? It's already a top 5 engineering school with very selective admissions. there is not much room to move up in regards to its main focus.

Because everyone believes that if you aren’t growing you’re dying, and research dollars are trophies administrators can brag about to each other. Personally I’m not convinced that the coupling of undergrad education and high-$ research (vs, say, industry or dedicated organizations) makes any more sense than the coupling of undergrad education and football.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow

because no one really gives a **** about a EE presentation.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Because everyone believes that if you aren’t growing you’re dying, and research dollars are trophies administrators can brag about to each other. Personally I’m not convinced that the coupling of undergrad education and high-$ research (vs, say, industry or dedicated organizations) makes any more sense than the coupling of undergrad education and football.
Tech IS growing though, and it doesn't need football to do that.

Agreed. GT’s overall brand is not special because all 98% of the population knows about Georgia Tech is we are unsuccessful more than successful when they are flipping channels and see GT on TV. In other words, to 98% of the population we are a mediocre school.
This is not even remotely true.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Tech IS growing though, and it doesn't need football to do that.

This is not even remotely true.
GT shouldn't want to grow without Football leading the way. GT should be a football program that also hands out degrees. That's how bluebloods are viewed and it works fine for them.

LOL :)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So the NCAA screwed the little guys again in order to save their own skin? I’m shocked! Shocked I tell ya!
What is the alternative? If they go to trial, they are likely to lose much more than the settlement amount.

The NCAA is nothing but a collection of colleges that compete in intercollegiate sports. I don't know what the voting methods and majority requirements are for NCAA votes, but if enough schools do not want to settle, they can prevent it.
NCAA is a dead man walking. They have made the wrong decision time after time. It has finally caught up to them.
I agree that the colleges have made wrong decisions when they made votes in their intercollegiate sports organization and are now paying the price for those wrong votes.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
GT was originally modeled after Worcester Polytechnic and we’d still be sort of like WPI with sports if GT hadn’t aggressively transitioned to a research university starting with Pettit. It’s not trophies, it’s about getting top flight faculty, students, labs, facilities and rankings. Research funds all that. WPI stayed as it was and is ranked #92.