Historic NFL team for CPJ's Offense

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
So it's the offseason and I don't think I've seen this take on this topic but have been thinking about this for a couple of years.

If you had to use CPJ offense in the NFL which historic team would you take and what players would you play where? ie. you could choose the 49ers in the late 80's. You could have Steve Young as your QB with Montana as your back up. Roger Craig as you b back Jones, TE in real life, and Rice as your WR and Taylor, starting wr in real life, as an A back. They had a good and mobile o-line that were proficient in run blocking and pass blocking.

I could name others but do not want to take a team anyone else would want to choose.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
So it's the offseason and I don't think I've seen this take on this topic but have been thinking about this for a couple of years.

If you had to use CPJ offense in the NFL which historic team would you take and what players would you play where? ie. you could choose the 49ers in the late 80's. You could have Steve Young as your QB with Montana as your back up. Roger Craig as you b back Jones, TE in real life, and Rice as your WR and Taylor, starting wr in real life, as an A back. They had a good and mobile o-line that were proficient in run blocking and pass blocking.

I could name others but do not want to take a team anyone else would want to choose.
Easy answer. The Michael Vick Falcons! Vick! Duckett! Dunn! And anyone else!

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Easy answer. The Michael Vick Falcons! Vick! Duckett! Dunn! And anyone else!
It's a good answer, it was one of the teams I was actually think of, but would the o-line be good enough? Good may not be the right word. Would the o-line be mobile enough to due the blocking required. Also how would the WR compare.

That being said Duckett would be a great b back and Vick shear physical ability would scare any defense in CPJ offense. The option portion would also make his reading the defenses in the passing game easier and Dunn would be an awesome A-back.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

The Cowboys with Staubach at QB.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a good answer, it was one of the teams I was actually think of, but would the o-line be good enough? Good may not be the right word. Would the o-line be mobile enough to due the blocking required. Also how would the WR compare.

That being said Duckett would be a great b back and Vick shear physical ability would scare any defense in CPJ offense. The option portion would also make his reading the defenses in the passing game easier and Dunn would be an awesome A-back.
The Falcons used a zone blocking scheme then with Dunn, if I'm remembering correctly. They would be mobile enough to do it.

Most NFL defensive coordinators can't defend the zone reads of today, so I don't think they would have much success defending the triple option!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Imo, any suggestion of Steve Young or Roger Staubach as running QBs in an option based offense watched diff guys.

Tebow and whatever Broncos team he won a playoff game with or Caepernik's 49ers, maybe.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Imo, any suggestion of Steve Young or Roger Staubach as running QBs in an option based offense watched diff guys.

Tebow and whatever Broncos team he won a playoff game with or Caepernik's 49ers, maybe.
Steve Young was more than mobile enough. Did you ever see that run he had against Minnesota in like 86 or 87 when Montana was injured? He ran in and out of the defense and went for about 80 yds. Also When Steve was at BYU and ran scout team as Air force everyone said that there defense could not stop him. Also a younger Roger Staubach was quick and agile.

As for your suggestions I don't know about Tebow and the Broncos. I don't know if he had enough around him to make the offense go. Caepernik and the 49ers would be a good choice. Who was that running back of theirs that they just let go last year. He would have made a good b back. The have big WR that block well. yeah I could see that.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
The Falcons used a zone blocking scheme then with Dunn, if I'm remembering correctly. They would be mobile enough to do it.

Most NFL defensive coordinators can't defend the zone reads of today, so I don't think they would have much success defending the triple option!
I had forgotten about that. They probably would be quick enough.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
The Cowboys with Staubach at QB.
Talent everywhere on those teams. A question though. Are you talking early 70's or late? Not that you would have to choose but just wondering. If late then would you try to use Dorsett as the B back or put him as an A. If you put him as your a back who would you use as your back? Newhouse? You would also have the advantage of using Danny White as a back up qb. Early though you could have Dan Reaves as your back up qb/ a back.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I believe Steve Young was actually recruited as a running back to BYU. Dude definitely could have run the option.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Randall Cunningham and his Eagle teams. I believe he led NFL QB's in rushing and set a record at that time.

At a young age, he was a very mobile QB. He would have been great in Paul Johnson's offense.

If only you could take Randy Moss from the Viking days also!!!!!

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Randall Cunningham and his Eagle teams. I believe he led NFL QB's in rushing and set a record at that time.

At a young age, he was a very mobile QB. He would have been great in Paul Johnson's offense.

If only you could take Randy Moss from the Viking days also!!!!!
That would be nice to have moss and would be an interesting topic in and of itself. You would be able to choose the QB and make a team with all the players he played with. About the eagles would you move Keith Jackson out to WR because otherwise he would have limited playing time. Also would you try to use Keith Byers as b back. He was a featured back in college though at the time when he played for the eagles I don't know if he could carry the ball 20 times a game. A good choice.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Steve Young was more than mobile enough. Did you ever see that run he had against Minnesota in like 86 or 87 when Montana was injured? He ran in and out of the defense and went for about 80 yds. Also When Steve was at BYU and ran scout team as Air force everyone said that there defense could not stop him. Also a younger Roger Staubach was quick and agile.

As for your suggestions I don't know about Tebow and the Broncos. I don't know if he had enough around him to make the offense go. Caepernik and the 49ers would be a good choice. Who was that running back of theirs that they just let go last year. He would have made a good b back. The have big WR that block well. yeah I could see that.

Yep, I watched Steve Young his whole career. I still disagree.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Stauback, Young, Vick, Tarkenton and Cunningham as QBs. Because with this offense in the NFL you would need all of them before 16 games passed by. The violence of the NFL is almost impossible to describe.

jzgt22

Jolly Good Fellow
How about the Kordell Stewart led 96 Steelers. Jerome Bettis would have made a monster b back and they had solid wr play in Yancey Thigpen and Ernie Mills.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
How about the Kordell Stewart led 96 Steelers. Jerome Bettis would have made a monster b back and they had solid wr play in Yancey Thigpen and Ernie Mills.
I did not even think about them. The Steeler team I was actually thinking about was from the 70s. Bradshaw was a pretty good athlete at qb. You could have Franco Harris at B back Rocky Bleir at one of the abacks. Swan and Stallworth at wr and the offensive line was quick and strong. Yah Stewart Qbing that team in 96 with CPJs offense would have been cool to see. Plus you would have had ones of the best defenses in the word.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
QB - Cam Newton
BB - Jerome Bettis
AB - Warrick Dunn
AB - Ladainian Tomlinson
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Randy Moss

Elway back to back Champion Denver Broncos OLine