Here's something GT Swarm can argue over

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Who was the best RB in that "Dadgum" split -T? Teas, Turner, or Hardeman

1952 National Champions
Teas was the most talented without a doubt but Hardeman was "the Man" in the Sugar Bowl win over Ole Miss. That said, none of them were among the six, count em', six All Americans on that team. The running backs were very good but not the main strength of the team which was its defense and overall team speed. To wit: Tech had 4 shutouts that year but more telling only one team managed to score in double figures that being Florida in the second game of the year in a 17-14 Tech win. I have a friend whose father played on that team in a limited role due to a knee injury, Harry Wright. He said that Hal Miller was a fine tackle and Bobby Morehead was an excellent defensive back but the toughest guy on the team was a little known lineman named Lum Snyder. My dad had classes with both Hal Miller and Pete Brown. Not only were they great college football players but both of them were smart. A lot of talent on that team but it took Coach Dodd at least 5 years to build that team to being a national champion.

Last edited:

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
8F9AABCE-0491-47DD-9B90-151E296D2DD3.jpeg

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That was a couple of years before my time but my mom told me about it. My dad was a student finishing up I think in early '53 on the GI Bill after the war.
My dad graduated just before then in 1950 on GI Bill. Bachelor of Science in Textile Engineering. He got through Tech while being married, already had one child my older sister, and working part time. I don't know how he did it.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My dad graduated just before then in 1950 on GI Bill. Bachelor of Science in Textile Engineering. He got through Tech while being married, already had one child my older sister, and working part time. I don't know how he did it.

We lived in the old Lawson apartments (married student appartments) out near Peachtree DeKalb airport. Your family probably did too. I think I may have gotten the year wrong. Dad may have gotten out in '51 or '52, not sure?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The first one is Leon Hardeman.
Here's a nice article about Hardeman. Both he and Pete Brown are from Walker County, Hardeman from Lafayette, and Brown from Rossville.

Hardeman, Ga. Tech '52 Team Honored This Weekend - Chattanoogan.com

From the article:
Leon Hardeman was “too short” according to Georgia football coach Wally Butts who passed on offering a scholarship to the north Georgia prep sensation.

Ga. Tech coach Bobby Dodd saw something coach Butts didn’t and later would say Hardeman was the best runner to ever play at Ga. Tech’s Grant Field.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
My Dad "got out" in 1949, M.E. He received his commission 4 years to the day of the Japanese formal surrender on the deck of the USS Missouri. He was offered the choice of a regular commission , but chose the reserves. Events about 9 and1/2 months later revealed how wise his decision. He received 3 letters in baseball, but the SEC didn't sanction baseball in 1946, so Tech, Auburn and UGa played a home and away round robin and supplemented with Textile League teams.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Left to right, I am not sure about this as it is from memory. Don't know, maybe Glenn Turner?, George Morris, Buck Martin, Not sure about the next one, Pete Brown, and Hal Miller. Anyone know for sure?
I think that's Bobby Moorhead, defensive back, next to Pete Brown. It's a picture of the six all-Americans?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think that's Bobby Moorhead, defensive back, next to Pete Brown. It's a picture of the six all-Americans?
Memory is hazy but I think that is what the photo is about as well as the then traditional "Empty Stocking Fund". Unlike today, there were several "All American" teams picked by, among others, Colliers magazine, Look magazine, Sporting News, AP writers, the UPI and Christ alone knows who else but whether they were "consensus" like George Morris and Hal Miller or just picked by one like Hardeman the point remains they were an outstanding team, though Dodd always thought his 1956 team had more talent and was deeper. My dad was convinced, so he told me, that Ole Miss was going to beat Tech in that Sugar Bowl because of the motivation and pure hatred that Johnny Vaught and the entire state had for Bobby Dodd and by extension Georgia Tech. Even with that and a great quarterback in Jimmy "King" Lear and a fine running back in "Whiskey" Dillard, Tech was just too much.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Memory is hazy but I think that is what the photo is about as well as the then traditional "Empty Stocking Fund". Unlike today, there were several "All American" teams picked by, among others, Colliers magazine, Look magazine, Sporting News, AP writers, the UPI and Christ alone knows who else but whether they were "consensus" like George Morris and Hal Miller or just picked by one like Hardeman the point remains they were an outstanding team, though Dodd always thought his 1956 team had more talent and was deeper. My dad was convinced, so he told me, that Ole Miss was going to beat Tech in that Sugar Bowl because of the motivation and pure hatred that Johnny Vaught and the entire state had for Bobby Dodd and by extension Georgia Tech. Even with that and a great quarterback in Jimmy "King" Lear and a fine running back in "Whiskey" Dillard, Tech was just too much.
The link I provided shows a good bit of the Sugar Bowl and backs up what you stated. Our defense led by Mississippian, George Morris was just too stout.