He did again today in the PC

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Reality is all coaches say things on pressers that fans won't like. There was a vocal group on here if I remember that was sick of cpjs style and his comments. Collins is giving the media and recruits exactly what they want to here. Coaching up Temple speak to highten what he can do at Tech.
The score of the game is not the goal in these pressers

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Umm Rock Ya-Sin was recruited by Collins and was Temples highest drafted player.
Umm didn't he transfer into Temple his Sr. yr from a much smaller school ? Collins sort of, perhaps, kinda, recruited him. Rock was already a proven star at the college level and was not spotted and/or developed by CGC. He does get some credit for selling him on 1 year of service.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Umm didn't he transfer into Temple his Sr. yr from a much smaller school ? Collins sort of, perhaps, kinda, recruited him. Rock was already a proven star at the college level and was not spotted and/or developed by CGC. He does get some credit for selling him on 1 year of service.

You guys are trying to tear down CGC fast. Rock was All Big South at Presbyterian, but was not on any draft boards until after his time at Temple.

Maybe Rock is lying too
On new Georgia Tech coach Geoff Collins (who was at Temple): “Coach Collins is a great coach, a great man. He made me into the player that I am today. He’s a great man. I can’t say enough about how I appreciate the time he spent with me and what he’s taught me.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/rock-sin-has-unique-football-journey/trRhTRfqVYqUkWSyQ3WbuK/

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's the deal. If we had beaten Temple 45-0, and he'd said they had an 'elite front 7', that would be a hat tip to your opponent and coach speak. So if we lose, what is it? A hat tip to your opponent and coach speak. If this is wrong, Bobby Cox is the worst manager in the history of MLB.
Immediately after the loss, you give props to your opponent for their victory. After that, it really shouldn't be brought up again.

slugboy

Staff member
FSU says hello. How long will people continue to ignore the FACT that recruiting is not the be all to end all.
As for stretching the truth.........in multiple polls of recruits on what factors they considered....HONESTY is one of the top items.

@Animal02, I read this board a lot. I haven’t seen anyone on this board say that recruiting is the be all to end all. I haven’t run into anyone saying that in passing outside of this board.
I have seen a number of people happy that there’s more of an emphasis on recruiting.
X’s and O’s were enough to get us there, but they weren’t enough for us to win.
In 2008, we used our schematic advantage (and tremendous effort by our players) to make it to the Chick Fil A/Peach Bowl. We got out-athleted by LSU. In 2009, we made it to the ACC Championship, where Clemson edged us based on recruiting. We went to the Orange Bowl, where Iowa out-athleted us again. In 2011, we lost to Utah for pretty much the same reason.
There are some times where we had a middling season, like 2010, and played in a bowl game that wasn’t great. We won against USC in 2012, but it was obvious that they didn’t even want to be there.
We’ve had a couple of wins in there—Mississippi State and Kentucky. Kentucky has improved as a team largely because of their recruiting and they’re headed in the right direction.
We were getting outplayed by teams that were out-recruiting us. They were coaching and training and conditioning their players, but they were also out-recruiting us.
For the last four years, X’s and O’s weren’t even enough to get us there. We qualified for bowls 2 out of the last four seasons, and the trend was downward. Our last bowl was the QuickLane bowl in Detroit. We got massively out-athleted by Minnesota. In Paul Johnson’s swan song, where his players might have gone all out to send him off with a win.
It’s clear we need to take a step up in recruiting to be able to compete. That, and defensive and special teams coaching have been our obvious shortcomings. And still coach and train our players while recruiting better. Spending time on recruiting doesn’t mean that you don’t care about the other parts of building a team. I haven’t seen anyone say that it does, either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I truly am interested in your thoughts. Who is a press conference meant for if not us keyboard warriors? I know in high school I didn't pay attention to the local news or coach press conferences. If press conferences aren't for people like us, then I truly an shocked. I trust the tweets and direct texts are much more appropriate for engaging 16-18 year olds.

Press conferences are for the press. I thought that was obvious. They are for the press to create stories from. They’re only recorded for the fans. But they aren’t for fans, they’re for the press.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You people who are trying to tear down CGC for every little insignificant thing are doing nothing but hurting GT, you’re hurting recruiting which hurts the future. If in 3-4 years we are still here then i can understand the hate but this early into a new coaching regime is insane, it’s counterproductive to everything, itks an attitude of tearing down the world just to watch it burn, is that what some of you want? Chaos? Death and destruction of GT football?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The better he can make Temple look the less critics will focus on Saturday's result, but he is making himself, and the athletic director, look kind of dense. The facts cannot be changed, and those are that he was at Temple all of two years, had a mediocre record at a second tier program, and talked himself into a P5 job by saying all the right things to an AD wanting to hear those things. And now he can't just shut the hell up. Conflating dates is not new to him. He wants credit for NFL players recruited before him, an "elite front seven" that matured after him -- and beating the bejabbers out of Georgia Tech, I regret to say, is not evidence of an"elite" status.

I am probably an outlier on the issue. I admired Johnson as a HC and offensive innovator, thought his personality needed a lot of work, and it was time for him to go. Collins is not a guy for me to admire -- I thought then and now it was a hiring mistake, made hurriedly without due diligence and for the wrong reasons while really promising candidates did not even get an interview -- having once labored on the Flats and wanting to again is hardly cause for to hire -- and a guy who left the motor running between jobs, mostly sideways, is not inspirational. Having said all that I want him to succeed in the first place and to shut up in the second place. Even Alibi Ike got old.

Animal02

Banned
@Animal02, I read this board a lot. I haven’t seen anyone on this board say that recruiting is the be all to end all. I haven’t run into anyone saying that in passing outside of this board.
I have seen a number of people happy that there’s more of an emphasis on recruiting.
X’s and O’s were enough to get us there, but they weren’t enough for us to win.
In 2008, we used our schematic advantage (and tremendous effort by our players) to make it to the Chick Fil A/Peach Bowl. We got out-athleted by LSU. In 2009, we made it to the ACC Championship, where Clemson edged us based on recruiting. We went to the Orange Bowl, where Iowa out-athleted us again. In 2011, we lost to Utah for pretty much the same reason.
There are some times where we had a middling season, like 2010, and played in a bowl game that wasn’t great. We won against USC in 2012, but it was obvious that they didn’t even want to be there.
We’ve had a couple of wins in there—Mississippi State and Kentucky. Kentucky has improved as a team largely because of their recruiting and they’re headed in the right direction.
We were getting outplayed by teams that were out-recruiting us. They were coaching and training and conditioning their players, but they were also out-recruiting us.
For the last four years, X’s and O’s weren’t even enough to get us there. We qualified for bowls 2 out of the last four seasons, and the trend was downward. Our last bowl was the QuickLane bowl in Detroit. We got massively out-athleted by Minnesota. In Paul Johnson’s swan song, where his players might have gone all out to send him off with a win.
It’s clear we need to take a step up in recruiting to be able to compete. That, and defensive and special teams coaching have been our obvious shortcomings. And still coach and train our players while recruiting better. Spending time on recruiting doesn’t mean that you don’t care about the other parts of building a team. I haven’t seen anyone say that it does, either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The "recruiting" mantra has been going on since his hire and continues to this day. That you choose to interpret it differently is your opinion. Three certainly is an underlying belief that simple recruiting multiple 4 and 5 star players will magically turn Tech into a NC contender. I and others have pointed out the fallacy of that. I won't bother going point to point on you long winded post.....I would rather take the highs and lows of the last decade than the snooze fest of the Gailey years. And willing to accept losing seasons for the hope of winning in the future....there is nothing to be said about such stupidity.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Btw those sound bites are being circulated on social media by current players and recruits. So yes he’s selling the program.

.667 winning percentage as a new coach in 2 years is not mediocre.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
You people who are trying to tear down CGC for every little insignificant thing are doing nothing but hurting GT, you’re hurting recruiting which hurts the future. If in 3-4 years we are still here then i can understand the hate but this early into a new coaching regime is insane, it’s counterproductive to everything, itks an attitude of tearing down the world just to watch it burn, is that what some of you want? Chaos? Death and destruction of GT football?
They dont want cgc to succeed. So they are doing their part. Smh

slugboy

Staff member
@slugboy, 2009 was the year we beat Clemson to win the ACC outright. The rest of the point is valid.

My bad. I had gone back to the records, and they retroactively marked it a loss because of the BayBay $300 clothing thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

All for a bizarre loyalty to one, very specific offensive scheme.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Btw those sound bites are being circulated on social media by current players and recruits. So yes he’s selling the program.

.667 winning percentage as a new coach in 2 years is not mediocre.
Look I like CGC not crazy about everything he does but I like CPJ but wasn't crazy about everything he did.
but you lost me on a .667 winning percentage on 2 years . 7-6 and 8-5 would be 15-11 of .577 . I don't know anything about Temple who they had and who they lost but the 2 years they were 10-4 and 10-4 or .714 maybe they lost their best players I have no idea and really don't care all I care about is Tech. I will try and not judge him this year ( I'll try )

slugboy

Staff member
The "recruiting" mantra has been going on since his hire and continues to this day. That you choose to interpret it differently is your opinion. Three certainly is an underlying belief that simple recruiting multiple 4 and 5 star players will magically turn Tech into a NC contender. I and others have pointed out the fallacy of that. I won't bother going point to point on you long winded post.....I would rather take the highs and lows of the last decade than the snooze fest of the Gailey years. And willing to accept losing seasons for the hope of winning in the future....there is nothing to be said about such stupidity.

Who has said “simple recruiting multiple 4 and 5 star players will magically turn Tech into a NC contender”?

I can’t find anyone. Yet you keep saying that’s what you’re arguing against.

As for willingly accepting losing seasons, I am seeing some people say Johnson would win 9 games this season. The reporters who cover the ACC had us in the bottom. Stats for Johnson’s teams projected us at three wins for the year, implicitly assuming the same team. That makes the comparison into a “Coastal winner vs a terrible team with the same players” comparison. We’d lost most of the production off of a middling team last season; expecting even even results from last year is optimistic. Realistically, we’re trading a losing season under Johnson for a losing season under Collins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk