GT vs BG Ghost Uniforms

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Oh I really love these. Yes the golds don’t match but it’s minor enough to where at first glance I didn’t notice. Only problem I have is the helmet stripe makes us look like Vandy.

Bill Curry is smiling somewhere, he’d love this set.
I know you are young and love having you with us.
But those are not the uniforms that Tech wore during Curry's years 1984 and 1985 as the blackwatch defense and you had to earn the Black GT on the helmets. They also wore white pants.

1695923294277.png

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
But those are not the uniforms that Tech wore during Curry's years 1984 and 1985 as the blackwatch defense and you had to earn the Black GT on the helmets. They also wore white pants.

View attachment 14799
I know it's not EXACTLY what we wore in the 80's but its a good tribute to those legendary teams while being modern and sleek at the same time. I think coach Curry appreciates that.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll get my two main gripes out of the way first and foremost:

1. If you are going to debut a new "ghost" uniform, doesn't it make since to do it during a night game? Especially when said uniform has glow-in-the-dark elements?

2. I understand that this is part of an adidas "set" for this year, meaning we aren't the only adidas school to get a "ghost" uniform, but after comparing the two, I definitely like our 2020 blackwatch uniform more than this set.

Now, with that being said, this is not a bad uniform. I like the addition of the white outline to the GT logo on the helmet. It make the black logo pop and creates a nice contrast to the gold of the helmet. The black pants were a surprise for me but I think adidas did really well incorporating our current striping pattern onto the pants. The gold number outlines are very sharp and match the helmet well. I also really like the rear bumper of the helmet. I can live with the front bumper, but I think the TECH wordmark is stretched out a little too much. All in all, I'd give it a solid 7/10 here. The helmet stripe we stole from Vanderbilt, and the above mentioned gripes are noted, but doesn't take away from this being a solid uniform. If it makes the kids happy, then that's really all that matters. If we win, it's an even bigger bonus.

Solid job adidas.

For the glow in the dark, I love the look for photos, but I feel like it would look a little out of place in a game?

Just win the freaking game. This is all just ridiculous. Yeah, let’s debut a new uni against Bowling Green at 3:30. Brilliant.
But then we would have people saying we look stupid for not wearing our classics in big games.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't get all the upset-ness on this? I think the uni's look clean and they're a nice blackwatch homage (which I think our defense EARNED after the WF game. 8 sacks and 5 TOs? Yeah.) Sure is it good for a 330 Kickoff against BG? eh, maybe not. But the uniforms themselves look amazing

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I don't get all the upset-ness on this? I think the uni's look clean and they're a nice blackwatch homage (which I think our defense EARNED after the WF game. 8 sacks and 5 TOs? Yeah.) Sure is it good for a 330 Kickoff against BG? eh, maybe not. But the uniforms themselves look amazing
Same. I love these unis. I don’t understand the glow tho. It’ll never be seen, so why include it? I get the marketing and doing something hip/different. Anyway, the gripe about the 3:30 vs. night really don’t matter, even tho night does make more sense, but don’t they decide these things before the season starts? So, other than a couple, you really don’t know who you have at night.

The bigger game gripe. I understand the gripe, but some would say “why not wear these for a game we know we can win!” And as someone mentioned earlier, avoiding the backlash of losing in a special uni.

Homecoming gripe. Go traditional for homecoming. GWG. Enough said.

The “I’m a boomer, why are we doing this gripe.” Literally, we have to. Most do uni reveals or have some sort of alternate. Who doesn’t? Bama and USC come to mind. Texas? I’m sure there are more. UGA is not one of them. I swear some folks here still want us wearing single bar face masks and baggy uniforms made out of heavy a** cotton.

I think they’re slick and classic. Other than being black, it’s our traditional piping look. We wore multi stripe on the helmet before.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Everyone knows black fabrics absorb sunlight and trap heat. Why would you handicap your own team?
Well … yes and no. Black absorbs heat, but leaves the wearer cool underneath because it does. Hence all those black tents in the Middle East and the way the desert dwellers always wear black and the other dark colors.

But, shoot, these are kinda like the old black watch uniforms - missing the required gold pants. So I'm cool with them.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh I really love these. Yes the golds don’t match but it’s minor enough to where at first glance I didn’t notice. Only problem I have is the helmet stripe makes us look like Vandy.

Bill Curry is smiling somewhere, he’d love this set.
Tech wore those helmets in the late 60s/early 70s.
Just in case you didn't know.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The forecast I'm looking at has edged up temperature-wise since the last time I checked to 84, but with only 47% humidity. The weather won't be a factor.
What I've been watching with the weather sources I've been using over the last 6 mos or so have been showing temp forecast highs that are never reached, at least the days I happen to check. Maybe it is climate "sham".

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It's only going to be a high of ~81 degrees Saturday, with low humidity. I don't think it will be much of a factor.
I'm going to assume that you haven't in the recent past stood outside in the sun, even at 78, in a black suit with a hat on your head for 3 hours... 😉

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

View attachment 14799
I have a black watch jersey safely tucked in a chest of drawers, saw it last week. If we ever have a "black watch" game, I will have to pull it out and wear it to the game.