GT Hoops General Topics

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I LOVE the fact that he actually walked instead of just getting it in the mail. To me, this shows how much the actual degree means to him.
+1. That 1990 run left a huge mark on my childhood (well, pre-teen) years. Was an incredible year as we traveled to all the tournament games and stayed at the team hotel. I still remember talking to Kenny Anderson, Dennis Scott, and Brian Oliver, and standing at the breakfast buffet next to James "Mad Dog" Munlyn and having no idea how a person could be that tall. Always respected Dennis Scott for his time at Tech and his career afterwards - glad he went back.

Here's a good article on his graduation from the GTAA: https://ramblinwreck.com/3-d-view-of-the-world/

Which remind me of something in football and basketball recruiting that we don't talk about very often on this board: Mom has a lot of influence. If we can sell on-court/on-field success to the recruit, and academic/life success to the parents, I don't think there's a better pitch to be made for any school out there. (So long as our NIL money can at least somewhat keep up with the Joneses.)

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Coming out of the the Penn St game, according to the TeamRankings site, our offensive and defensive efficiency ratings (out of 362 teams):

232 Off
101 Def

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sounds like we now know what happened to cause Abrams to lose his starting spot. Somewhere about two thirds of the way into the interview.

Thought I missed it. Then ...

Oh I Get It Britney Spears GIF

Please a quick summary. That podcast is over an hour!

Aye, we're not doing your homework for you!

Seriously though, it was a good listen. Just had it on in the background. A lot of stories from his playing days. Talked about the 'Jailblazers' era getting a bad rap.

Restated a lot of things already said w.r.t. 'why GT'. Talked about the MissSt and Duke wins and what he thought it meant for the team - basically said that effort is no longer good enough (they need to do more now). Spoke on some things he looks for in recruits, mainly toughness. Hates bad body language. When you have bad body language, that becomes your message to the world. Stte.

The comment likely related to Abram is indeed about 2/3 of the way in. Basically, as every coach probably says, you play how you practice. If you don't play hard in practice, don't expect to have success in games. - my translation, not his words.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Worth the listen. This was like the V106 (or whatever the radio station interview he stated he was turning the program in 180 days). Just some dudes yapping about basketball. Go to about 1:18 to read about what's alluded to. Seems effort in practice wasn't there and someone thought effort in the game was all that matters. Sounds like a little Iverson.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds like we now know what happened to cause Abrams to lose his starting spot. Somewhere about two thirds of the way into the interview.
That’s exactly why I listened to the entire interview & you can easily miss it if you don’t listen carefully since only a few minutes of this chat addresses the Tech team and Abram is never mentioned by name. CDS has no issue with players coming at him. Assume he means arguing and disagreeing. But he does not seem to have any tolerance for bad body language. That’s what I observed from Abram watching warmups for the Penn State game. Every member of this team was smiling with great camaraderie except for one unhappy camper. That’s how I read it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Worth the listen. This was like the V106 (or whatever the radio station interview he stated he was turning the program in 180 days). Just some dudes yapping about basketball. Go to about 1:18 to read about what's alluded to. Seems effort in practice wasn't there and someone thought effort in the game was all that matters. Sounds like a little Iverson.
Wasn’t Iverson a top scorer or all NBA or something? I get the loose comparison but Iverson was getting it done in games.

At least that’s my foggy brain damaged memory.

slugboy

Staff member
Wasn’t Iverson a top scorer or all NBA or something? I get the loose comparison but Iverson was getting it done in games.

At least that’s my foggy brain damaged memory.
For the idea of selfish players, there are better players than Iverson to use—but Iverson had a rant about it. The details reflect poorly on Iverson and his coach, Larry Brown: http://es.pn/29STwg8. Iverson needed to square his life away, and Brown watched his star player fall apart

The team does worse with Abram on the floor. And, with trying to get a new team to gel in a different system, practicing hard is important. Players need to be able to read each other to make passes.