GT 2016 Roster and Spring Depth Chart

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I think (okay, hope) we'll see a big jump this year in some of our key inexperienced players. Per usual, Dline is going to be key. Losing Gostis hurts. . . a lot. I stand by the idea I proposed last preseason (we should redshirt Gostis in 2015 so we have for 2016 & throw Kallon, Henderson, & Glanton into the fire). But, and here me out on this . . . I think we could make a huge jump forward at this position.

Let's breakdown the marginal gains we can expect from each potential contributor:

Pass Rushing DEs / Tweeners. two potential breakout players.
  1. Simmons. Athletic freak. I think he'll play on Sundays. GT's website lists him at 235. 2 full years of game experience and S&C.
  2. Freeman. See above. more experience. probably more strength & technique than simmons with less raw athletic ability
  3. Whitehead. 5 years removed from HS. Lacks experience but, I'm guessing, he's in his prime in terms of body development. I was actually impressed with Whitehead's technique against Alcron state. I hope we can find a way to use him. Perhaps he can play more of a SAM role against TE formations? In any event, his contribution can only go up - and remember, he did have 7.5 sacks at NCState.

DTs. I'm still coming down from the Days & Gostis we're going to dominate expectation crash. We can't replace Gostis. On the brightside, we have two veteran guys at the top of the rotation, 2 talented 2nd year players (who are heavier than the SRs), and 1 guy who can hold his own against Shamire in a pancake eating contest.
  1. Kallon. 6'5 284. Please let this be the year. Please let this be the year. Please let this be the year.
  2. Patrick Gamble. 6'5 282. RS Senior. Lots of experience. Ended the season on a high note. I remember watching Gamble get blown 15 yards down field against a very, very good FSU line in the ACC bowl game. I've been pleased with his performance since then. Another year of S&C can only help.
  3. KGH. 6'1 290 LBS. 1.5 years experience in the program. 5 tackles in his first career start. Great athlete. I think he's a star in the making. Are we asking too much too soon?
  4. Glanton. No experience. 6-2 / 285. High ceiling. Hopeful he can be a solid part of the rotation.
  5. Brandon Adams. 6'1. 322 LBs. Which is harder - playing NT as a true freshman or moving a 322 pound guy? At minimum, it's nice to have the option to put a player in the game on the goalline or running situation & tell him just don't move backward & we'll let PJ worry about making the play.
SDEs. So young. So so so young. But the talent is there.
  1. Anree Saint-Amour. 6'3 240 lbs. I think most will agree that he's the most likely breakout player this year, relative to last year's performance. Bro a great lineman at Southern.
  2. Desmond Branch. 6'3 270. Love his film. Love his size. Love his effort. IMO - this is a huge get. Bro in the NFL.
  3. Rod Rook-Chungong. 6'3 240. RS Senior. Solid experience. Could contribute in the rotation.
  4. Tyler Merriweather. 6'3 240. Junior year. We were all high on him out of HS. Haven't heard much since. No idea what to expect, but, I have hope.
  5. Jordan Woods. 6'4 255 lbs. Pros: biggest lineman at the position (besides branch) & highest rated recruit. Cons: true freshman.
Young Guys who I like long-term, but probably need more time to develop physically
  1. Scott Morgan. 6'5 280 LBs. Defensive Scout team player of the year (correct?). Will Bryan's father described the Morgan twins as lunch-pale type guys last year. . . and that's what sold me right then and there
  2. Trent Sellers. 6'4 244. I really liked his technique on the HS film. Would love to see him get up to 270 lbs.
  3. Chris Martin. 6'2 260. early enrolle. seems to have bought into the program already. his film didn't have many spectacular highlights. Not a knock on him at all. I just don't have enough to evaluate his potential
  4. Jahaziel Lee. 6'3 240. Too small for oline? good motor. liked his attack on film.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
edit: nvm. JT & Burden already RS. so much for scamming the system

Man. Our defense is going to be rock solid in 2017. Maybe we should redshirt JT & Burden this year & make a run for 2017?? We would return every starter on offense - Bryan. Griffin, Shamire, Klock, 20 ABs, 3 solid BBs MM QW DM. & every WR. + DRobs & the nation's #1 punter!

we would lose PJ, Kallon, Gamble, Rook, Butker.

DBs.
AJ Gray & Christian Campbell combo at safety.
Step Durham & Lamont Simmons as big CBs + Austin twins + Dorian Walker

LBs.
Vic & Trey as the thumpers
Brant Mitchell & Cooksey
Terrell Lewis, Bridges, Brasher as speedy OLBs

DT
KGH, Glanton, Adams, Morgan

DEs
Freeman/Whitehead
Saint-Amour/Branch/Woods

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
KGH=Kyle Cerge-Henderson? He was a true Fr last year.

I agree we have reason to be hopeful on dl, but it's unseen for the most part.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
KGH=Kyle Cerge-Henderson? He was a true Fr last year.

I agree we have reason to be hopeful on dl, but it's unseen for the most part.

Correct on the typo (I was drunk on optimism). I added the 0.5 years to his experience because he enrolled early. . . okay i was padding the stats.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think (okay, hope) we'll see a big jump this year in some of our key inexperienced players. Per usual, Dline is going to be key. Losing Gostis hurts. . . a lot. I stand by the idea I proposed last preseason (we should redshirt Gostis in 2015 so we have for 2016 & throw Kallon, Henderson, & Glanton into the fire). But, and here me out on this . . . I think we could make a huge jump forward at this position.

Let's breakdown the marginal gains we can expect from each potential contributor:

Pass Rushing DEs / Tweeners. two potential breakout players.
  1. Simmons. Athletic freak. I think he'll play on Sundays. GT's website lists him at 235. 2 full years of game experience and S&C.
  2. Freeman. See above. more experience. probably more strength & technique than simmons with less raw athletic ability
  3. Whitehead. 5 years removed from HS. Lacks experience but, I'm guessing, he's in his prime in terms of body development. I was actually impressed with Whitehead's technique against Alcron state. I hope we can find a way to use him. Perhaps he can play more of a SAM role against TE formations? In any event, his contribution can only go up - and remember, he did have 7.5 sacks at NCState.

DTs. I'm still coming down from the Days & Gostis we're going to dominate expectation crash. We can't replace Gostis. On the brightside, we have two veteran guys at the top of the rotation, 2 talented 2nd year players (who are heavier than the SRs), and 1 guy who can hold his own against Shamire in a pancake eating contest.
  1. Kallon. 6'5 284. Please let this be the year. Please let this be the year. Please let this be the year.
  2. Patrick Gamble. 6'5 282. RS Senior. Lots of experience. Ended the season on a high note. I remember watching Gamble get blown 15 yards down field against a very, very good FSU line in the ACC bowl game. I've been pleased with his performance since then. Another year of S&C can only help.
  3. KGH. 6'1 290 LBS. 1.5 years experience in the program. 5 tackles in his first career start. Great athlete. I think he's a star in the making. Are we asking too much too soon?
  4. Glanton. No experience. 6-2 / 285. High ceiling. Hopeful he can be a solid part of the rotation.
  5. Brandon Adams. 6'1. 322 LBs. Which is harder - playing NT as a true freshman or moving a 322 pound guy? At minimum, it's nice to have the option to put a player in the game on the goalline or running situation & tell him just don't move backward & we'll let PJ worry about making the play.
SDEs. So young. So so so young. But the talent is there.
  1. Anree Saint-Amour. 6'3 240 lbs. I think most will agree that he's the most likely breakout player this year, relative to last year's performance. Bro a great lineman at Southern.
  2. Desmond Branch. 6'3 270. Love his film. Love his size. Love his effort. IMO - this is a huge get. Bro in the NFL.
  3. Rod Rook-Chungong. 6'3 240. RS Senior. Solid experience. Could contribute in the rotation.
  4. Tyler Merriweather. 6'3 240. Junior year. We were all high on him out of HS. Haven't heard much since. No idea what to expect, but, I have hope.
  5. Jordan Woods. 6'4 255 lbs. Pros: biggest lineman at the position (besides branch) & highest rated recruit. Cons: true freshman.
Young Guys who I like long-term, but probably need more time to develop physically
  1. Scott Morgan. 6'5 280 LBs. Defensive Scout team player of the year (correct?). Will Bryan's father described the Morgan twins as lunch-pale type guys last year. . . and that's what sold me right then and there
  2. Trent Sellers. 6'4 244. I really liked his technique on the HS film. Would love to see him get up to 270 lbs.
  3. Chris Martin. 6'2 260. early enrolle. seems to have bought into the program already. his film didn't have many spectacular highlights. Not a knock on him at all. I just don't have enough to evaluate his potential
  4. Jahaziel Lee. 6'3 240. Too small for oline? good motor. liked his attack on film.
There was talk of Merriweather redshirting last year. I did not see him play. If he did RS he is only a RSSo. Anybody know for sure about his class eligibility?