Green Bay

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully Aaron Rodgers has an off day and we can get some pressure on him and force a turnover or two! Wait.........
Lol
They're a decent team. They'll hang around for most of the first half but we should pull away early in the second. We opened as a 9 pt favorite and its up to 10.5 now. Should be an easy cover.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I fully expect to be swearing at my TV for 33 of the 40 minutes of this game. As long as we do well enough in the other 7 minutes to win, I guess it'll be OK. I am NOT looking forward to the trip to Brooklyn over Thanksgiving though.....I'm not sure we are up that level of competition....(but, I fully admit to being a rank amateur basketball fan, so what do I know?)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Love is a shooter and has no conscience about where he is on the floor. If he's open, it must be a good shot. I watched their game against East Tennessee and there was little D played on either side. I think they realize the match-ups do not favor them in a half court defensive grinder, so they try to beat you down the court and get Love open for whatever they can. I will give the kid this - he can definitely shoot. He's not big, will come out of the game only once or twice for a very short breather. We need to make him work for everything.

An interesting side note. In his comments yesterday, CBG said the big guys' defense was the thing lacking so far, which surprised me a bit. If that is the case, then maybe they need to be prepared to give a lot more help on Love.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Green Bay, which was a pretty good team last season, lost their second game to East Tenn. St. (who we play in a few weeks). So we don't know which team will show up. They did lose 3 of their top 4 scorers from this past season.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Green Bay won the Horizon League last year making it to the NCAA Tournament and are the pre-season favorite again this season getting 41 of the 52 votes.
Love was the Horizon League player of the year last year and is averaging 27 ppg in his first 2 this season shooting 60% from 3 (9-15) and taking 24 FT in his first 2 games. He was the pre-season PoY this season as well.

Despite not being very tall they don't rely on the three - only a little over 20% of their shot attempts are from 3. They like to penetrate and draw fouls. They basically have 2 bigs that they rotate at the 5 and then have a number of 6'7 G/F types they use at the 4. They want to play fast to get easy buckets and in the half court they want to spread you out and then penetrate.

They return 4 of 5 starters.

This will not be an easy game - could be the most difficult so far. This is the most experienced and accomplished team GT will have played to date.

I wonder if we would try to put MGH on Love at all. Our PG's are not great defenders and Smith is not a good defensive guard. I could see Love torching us.

i would expect this to be an uptempo high scoring game. i expect it to take something close to 85-90 to win.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Green Bay won the Horizon League last year making it to the NCAA Tournament and are the pre-season favorite again this season getting 41 of the 52 votes.
Love was the Horizon League player of the year last year and is averaging 27 ppg in his first 2 this season shooting 60% from 3 (9-15) and taking 24 FT in his first 2 games. He was the pre-season PoY this season as well.

Despite not being very tall they don't rely on the three - only a little over 20% of their shot attempts are from 3. They like to penetrate and draw fouls. They basically have 2 bigs that they rotate at the 5 and then have a number of 6'7 G/F types they use at the 4. They want to play fast to get easy buckets and in the half court they want to spread you out and then penetrate.

This will not be an easy game - could be the most difficult so far. This is the most experienced and accomplished team GT will have played to date.

I wonder if we would try to put MGH on Love at all. Our PG's are not great defenders and Smith is not a good defensive guard. I could see Love torching us.

i would expect this to be an uptempo high scoring game. i expect it to take something close to 85-90 to win.

I like the MGH idea. After seeing us get torched by Hatter and Punter, I'm very nervous about what Love is gonna do

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

There are a few things wrong with this: First, Carrington Love was not the Horizon League POY last year, or the year before. His teammate, Keifer Sykes, won both years. Also, Green Bay was in the NIT the past two years, where they lost in the first round both times. Lastly, they do not return four of five starters. Sykes (their star player for the past two years), Greg Mays, and Alfonzo McKinnie represented three of the top four scorers for the Phoenix last year. All three are gone.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There are a few things wrong with this: First, Carrington Love was not the Horizon League POY last year, or the year before. His teammate, Keifer Sykes, won both years. Also, Green Bay was in the NIT the past two years, where they lost in the first round both times. Lastly, they do not return four of five starters. Sykes (their star player for the past two years), Greg Mays, and Alfonzo McKinnie represented three of the top four scorers for the Phoenix last year. All three are gone.

But other than that, he got it right though, right?

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck

Thanks. I thought I was losing it completely after reading up on them on ESPN and posting. Albeit, they will be tough. Don't know how they lost so bad to E. Tenn. St.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
Has CBG ever used a trick defence, eg a box and one or triangle and two? Our inability to stop the drive with our guards scares me.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Realistically, is there any reason for this game to be on anything other than ESPN3? Some of the preseason tourneys have started at their destinations, so those will get the coverage.

I don't know what to expect. I'd just like to see incremental progress of some sort (more consistency on offense, improved perimeter defense, etc.)

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Realistically, is there any reason for this game to be on anything other than ESPN3? Some of the preseason tourneys have started at their destinations, so those will get the coverage.

I don't know what to expect. I'd just like to see incremental progress of some sort (more consistency on offense, improved perimeter defense, etc.)

@dtm1997

I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise, I was just wanting to make sure where to find it. :D

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm hopeful we'll get a lot of local coverage up here in NYC for RSN & ACCN games.

The good news is that it's pretty easy to throw ESPN3 games up on a TV now.