Game 7 #BCvsGT Media

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here it is, the D plan for the weekend:

Key is a great coach IMHO. If he can't fix it, then I don't think it will be at GT. Liked his presser.
If the gt 335 will get the dbs within 10 yds of los and not backing up, its all good to me.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Here it is, the D plan for the weekend:

Key is a great coach IMHO. If he can't fix it, then I don't think it will be at GT. Liked his presser.
There were comments here about installing an entirely new defense was tongue in cheek, and obviously a joke, but I'm not so sure.

A bye week where the new D coordinator has extra time to shape the defense his way? A scheme that would offer more flexibility to pursue the runner, predicated around smaller more athletic players? Sounds like a good fit against this BC team.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There were comments here about installing an entirely new defense was tongue in cheek, and obviously a joke, but I'm not so sure.

A bye week where the new D coordinator has extra time to shape the defense his way? A scheme that would offer more flexibility to pursue the runner, predicated around smaller more athletic players? Sounds like a good fit against this BC team.

After two weeks of telling Kelly there won't be any big schematic change midseason and then calling Kelly out for asking the same question three weeks in a row, I suspect your sarcasm detector is damaged.

... Or maybe mine is from you?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
we used soem 3-3 last year. I would love if we shifted to it as a base D its usually easier to get 3 athletic LBs than it is to get 4 DL needed for an even front, but i am skeptical of us changing defensive paradigms in a bye week. We may have expanded the personnel grouping though and we might use it more with big Zeek playing a 2 gap nose (though 3-3 stacks are usually 1 gap defenses)

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
After two weeks of telling Kelly there won't be any big schematic change midseason and then calling Kelly out for asking the same question three weeks in a row, I suspect your sarcasm detector is damaged.

... Or maybe mine is from you?
Haha I am sure it is mine. I didn't get a chance to watch the video, and was just reacting to comments on this board.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
we used soem 3-3 last year. I would love if we shifted to it as a base D its usually easier to get 3 athletic LBs than it is to get 4 DL needed for an even front, but i am skeptical of us changing defensive paradigms in a bye week. We may have expanded the personnel grouping though and we might use it more with big Zeek playing a 2 gap nose (though 3-3 stacks are usually 1 gap defenses)
The 3-3-5 is what’s generally allowed Syracuse’s defense to punch above its weight in recent seasons. I wanted us to hire their DC Tony White the last several offseasons. Alas, Rhule got him and Nebraska’s defense is the only thing working for them this season (FEI ranked 36).

But, Syracuse backfilled with another 3-3-5 coordinator (allegedly one of the originators of the defense) who has them at an FEI ranking of 42. Safe to say we can and have outrecruited Syracuse, and we could have gotten nearly every player on their D.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t we unecpectedly switch to the 3-3 for Geoff’s upset win over UNC in the dome a few years ago? Biggers seems like a tailor-made nose for this.

whatever scheme we use I really hope Sherrer goes primarily with an aggressive 1-gap technique on the line, I hate 2-gap and our linebackers are not good enough to make the plays behind it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
To my way of thinking, Moala's comments fall within the category of leadership. Far from a distraction, maybe they helped the team focus on a problem that needed attention.
And the problem seems to have been corrected vs. Miami. Maybe his comments helped.
This is right. Leadership calls out things like that. What leadership doesn’t do is point a finger at one player or a small group publicly. The old adage that you praise in public and correct in private carries a lot of weight, so I see the other side as well. However, IMPO, voicing a concern publicly that doesn’t isolate a player or small group of players (such as or DBs just weren’t focused for the game) can be a good thing, particularly if it is identified by the coaches already and has been discussed as a team. I’m pretty sure this is the case.