Game 4 #GTvsWF Postgame

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
That was the ugliest win I've seen tech pull off in a while, but I will absolutely take it. We still struggle to sustain momentum when we get going. We gotta clean that up.

The penalties....good god. I'm sure practice won't be light this week

King played well and did enough to help us win. Had some great scrambles especially in the 4th q.

Defense mannnnn. Aside from the penalties...8 sacks?! Defensive lineman and backers stepped up this week. And secondary got hosed but got key picks. 8 TFL. Good job on d and Thacker.

GO JACKETS!

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
So what’s the rule on blind side blocking? Anything from side and back is a flag? I thought the Kennard double penalty was bogus. The block not the taunting. Although, I saw a Clemson receiver stand over the DB, flex and buck at him after trucking him. That didn’t get called.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My way too soon thoughts:

1. This was a good game against a near peer in the ACC. While we should normally, due to talent, have this game sealed away, we aren't there yet. Good win.
2. This offense has real potential. We are much further along offensively than I thought we would be this year.
3. Singleton is a BEAST.
4. Other than the 2 false starts, TE play was great.
5. J. Haynes will be an excellent RB for us.
6. Special teams was an asset tonight.
7. Defense was aggressive.
8. Penalties almost killed us. Granted, a few were bad calls, but a few were pretty egregious. Got to quit giving teams a new set of downs.
9. Kennard and Biggers are the duo we've been looking for.

Now that this game is under our belt, we are still in the mix to win 6 and maybe 7 games this year. We have to take care of business but as the season goes we should get better.

While Wakes sack total was, IMO, inflated due to their opponents, holding them to 0 was a great thing for us. Our OL is improving every week.

In this game, neither team had a real coaching advantage. Both teams called good games. At the end of the day we won because our skill players were better than theirs. It's been a long time since we've manned up and beat a well coached team on talent.

Time to celebrate!!!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I thought the refs were fine. The Johnson PI was an obvious outlier, but I'm struggling to remember other egregious examples. Gotta clean that up, but awesome we muscled through.
It was moreso that they weren't calling ANYTHING on Wake, when they were very blatantly holding on almost every play and had a big OPI that went uncalled on another big play.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wake led in rushing yards, total offense, time of possession and by a ridiculous margin in first downs...all for naught with Tech big plays and five turnovers. A five to one turnover deficit will get you beat just about every time. Griffis did not look as sharp today but the step up in competition had a lot to do with that. Hats off to the defense, King, Haynes the offensive line and the defensive line, EIGHT sacks, the last time I can remember Tech getting anywhere near that was one year about 2004 or so, when Miami was undefeated and ranked in the top five but the Jackets blitzed and blitzed and blitzed some more getting NINE sacks as I recall. A well deserved victory.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So what’s the rule on blind side blocking? Anything from side and back is a flag? I thought the Kennard double penalty was bogus. The block not the taunting. Although, I saw a Clemson receiver stand over the DB, flex and buck at him after trucking him. That didn’t get called.

🤷‍♂️ We got called for that twice. Only once did I catch a replay and it looked like we blocked him from just slightly behind.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
The secondary got beat badly a few times but you don’t get that many sacks after that long in the pocket without them having a lot of good coverage too on other plays.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Defense, as many have already said, was much improved, and the offense was good enough. I still had the feeling that our second half plan was to keep doing what we did the first half, and Wake’s was to make some adjustments, which seemed to stymie us at times. But we got the dub, and that’s what mattered.

slugboy

Staff member
Defense was much more aggressive. We rushed with 5 sometimes.

Tackling was better. Defensive line played so well.

Thacker and the other coaches had a plan to disrupt the slow option, and it worked well.

I didn’t expect a 5 turnover game. That really saved us.