Game 1 Key Decisions

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Bad for the whole game is a little exaggerated. Louisville was 1-11 on 3rd downs and 0-7 in the first half with only 160 yards of total offense. We also held them in the red zone twice making them settle for FGs. Yes in the 2nd half the defense was non existent
All true which is scary because we still lost. Not many teams on our schedule are that poor on offense or have such a pedestrian at QB. We better start scoring 40 plus a game to even be in it.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
How many open receivers did Plumber miss by throwing the ball into the turf. Lots in the first half. That's not a defensive strategy that will hold up. That a team scores 39 points and is 1-11 on 3rd is also telling on how poor the defense was.
That can be said across college football. Plummer isn’t Drake Maye but he isn’t terrible. How many points does Tennessee score against UVA if Milton hits every guy he threw to yesterday? Or how many points could we have scored without a dropped pass from Rutherford down the sideline and a fumble in the red zone?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
All true which is scary because we still lost. Not many teams on our schedule are that poor on offense or have such a pedestrian at QB. We better start scoring 40 plus a game to even be in it.

We have 3 teams remaining on our schedule with elite qbs. Clemson, UNC and possibly Jaxon Dart at Ole Miss.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That can be said across college football. Plummer isn’t Drake Maye but he isn’t terrible. How many points does Tennessee score against UVA if Milton hits every guy he threw to yesterday? Or how many points could we have scored without a dropped pass from Rutherford down the sideline and a fumble in the red zone?
In the first half Plummer hit the ground with his throws nearly as often as he hit his receivers. He played better in the 2nd half. Considering how little pressure he faced he had a poor game.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
In the first half Plummer hit the ground with his throws nearly as often as he hit his receivers. He played better in the 2nd half. Considering how little pressure he faced he had a poor game.
some of those bad throws were hurried because of def pressure?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if 2nd half O reflected loss of Jordan more or LOLvl making adjustments and us not.

I don't know if 2nd half D reflected loss of our safeties more or them finally breaking thru the red zone. They whooped our D most of the game between the 20s.

Bad, smh bad, drops of good passes by Rutherford and Seither really hurt at important points.

My weight is on the outcoached in 2nd half foot.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if 2nd half O reflected loss of Jordan more or LOLvl making adjustments and us not.

I don't know if 2nd half D reflected loss of our safeties more or them finally breaking thru the red zone. They whooped our D most of the game between the 20s.

Bad, smh bad, drops of good passes by Rutherford and Seither really hurt at important points.

My weight is on the outcoached in 2nd half foot.
You know Williams did not play a down in the 2nd quarter when we scored 4 TDs, right?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What about in the second half when we had them pinned back and chose to decline a false start. Making it 2nd and 10 from the 10 rather than 1st and 15 from the 5. Not even a decision I questioned in retrospect, we in the stands were all puzzled why we declined it before the next play even started.
3 plays to get 15 vs 2 plays to get 10. If they get 5 on first and 15 it’s the same situation. I’m in favor of taking away an extra play from them there.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
3 plays to get 15 vs 2 plays to get 10. If they get 5 on first and 15 it’s the same situation. I’m in favor of taking away an extra play from them there.
Just to be technical it would have been a 4 yard penalty as the original LOS was their 8 yard line. That sequence was inconsequential.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
We have co-DC's. Thacker is calling the plays now, but that can change easily. Let's see how they clean things up. Week 2 is usually a huge improvement from Week 1. (I know next week's competition is not close, so Iet's see how we do against Ole Miss)

I do not believe Co-coordinators work. Need to make a decision. Need to know who is in charge of each and hold that person responsible. I understand that we have the same situation on offense with Faulker and Winke.

Of course, this may be just to give one of the coordinators additional money?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I do not believe Co-coordinators work. Need to make a decision. Need to know who is in charge of each and hold that person responsible. I understand that we have the same situation on offense with Faulker and Winke.

Of course, this may be just to give one of the coordinators additional money?
Make no mistake, Thacker is calling the defenses. If they’re not right, that’s 100% on him.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I am wondering how long Key will stay with Thacker. I think he has had long enough to establish a decent Power 5 defense. I do not see any improvement over the time he has been in charge. I think it would send a strong message to the team if he made a change now. Let one of the current assistants take the helm.

Go Jackets!
It's tough. The defense held them to FGs early in the game to keep us alive. Those stops were huge! Especially after the tipped pass interception.

But the D also missed an insane number of tackles, struggled to stop the run, and showed zero pass rush. I think Thacker has shown some flashes, but our D is not consistent and continues to struggle with tackling. That's literally as basic as it gets when you're talking about D...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
After halftime (3Q), I thought we moved to a tighter offensive formation on the first series. Did we have two tight ends? Anyway, we went from spreading Louisville out to playing in the middle. We ran in the middle multiple times, into the strength of their defense, which we concentrated by having a tighter formation.

I don’t think we were running to keep them honest—I think we were trying to burn clock. Unfortunately, we went 3 and out—which game them more clock.

It was a weird halftime adjustment, both in formation and in what we called. We’d been very successful in the second quarter—why did we go away from what was working?
I know that is seemed that way, but I made a list of all of the offensive plays in the 3rd quarter:

Pass outside behind LOS
Pass incomplete
Pass incomplete
Punt

Pass play QB scramble for first down
Rush in middle
RPO handoff
Pass play QB scramble
Punt

RPO handoff up the middle
End of 3rd quarter

Of the 8 offensive plays: Five were pass play, two were RPO, and only one was a pure rushing play. Both RPO plays were handed off. I don't think the play calling was the issue in the third quarter. I think the execution wasn't there.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Well,really on every play that gains nothing--- is either bad call or execution (or both).If you call the right play then the execution should be easier since it supposedly goes to a DEF weakness.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Finally got to watch the highlights of our game last night. Still don’t understand why we decided to throw when we’re one point down around the 20, 1st & 10 with 4 minutes left in the game. Didn’t we learn from 28-3? Run the ball, chew clock and either get a TD or kick a FG with little time left. WTF?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Finally got to watch the highlights of our game last night. Still don’t understand why we decided to throw when we’re one point down around the 20, 1st & 10 with 4 minutes left in the game. Didn’t we learn from 28-3? Run the ball, chew clock and either get a TD or kick a FG with little time left. WTF?
Well since running the ball wasn't working in the 2nd half and our kicker misses a 33 yard FG, meaning the ball was on the 15 yard line and our defense didn't stop Louisville at all in the 2nd half, maybe our coach was actually playing to win the damn game!