Ga Southern

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This all started (as usual) with a general debate over whether CDH is a good coach (or not)? Has his time passed (or not)? Could we have done better with someone different (or not) over the last 15 years or so? There is a spectrum of opinions and no consensus; but for sake of the discussion, I'll generalize that there seem to be 2 groups that engage on this.

Group 1: CDH's record speaks for itself. He's the winningest active head coach in D1 baseball because he WINS. Period. The lack of post-season success can be attributed to lots of things.
And assuming "anybody" could have his regular season record (and get to post-season)... and that his post-season record is clear evidence he's not 'good enough'... well, those ideas flies in the face of his actual record as a coach. [I happen to be of this mindset ..Group 1]

Group 2: The post-season is what really matters...or needs the scrutiny. After ALL these years, CDH and Ga Tech baseball should have been more consistent in getting out of regionals/supers. He's achieved the minimum expectations over the years on that front; and that isn't good enough. Omaha only twice... and 1st time was his 1st season... (minimal credit for that)

This is far too much generalization, bordering on disingenuity. There are sufficient reasons other than the postseason to want CDH gone.

In particular, he has the most wins among active D1 baseball coaches mostly because he's been in D1 baseball for a long time. There are many more coaches who have been better over the recent medium- to long-term. As an example, take Elliot Avent, NC State's coach. He is over 150 games behind Danny as the "winningest" active coach overall, but over the past 10 seasons, Avent has a better overall record (335-182 vs. 298-214) and ACC record (138-118 vs. 126-136) than Hall. The same trend holds - for the years in that period in which they coached - for Mike Fox (.676 overall) and Mike Martin (.667 overall).

So really, the only reason "Group 1" can cling to their argument is because CDH has lingered far beyond his expiration date. To parade his cumulative wins as a badge of honor is to wear blinders to what he's done recently and the competitive landscape that has outpaced him. It's not just about accumulating victories in an era gone by; it's about what you're doing for your team today. And frankly, when you stack CDH up against his contemporaries, it's clear he's not keeping pace.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is far too much generalization, bordering on disingenuity. There are sufficient reasons other than the postseason to want CDH gone.

In particular, he has the most wins among active D1 baseball coaches mostly because he's been in D1 baseball for a long time. There are many more coaches who have been better over the recent medium- to long-term. As an example, take Elliot Avent, NC State's coach. He is over 150 games behind Danny as the "winningest" active coach overall, but over the past 10 seasons, Avent has a better overall record (335-182 vs. 298-214) and ACC record (138-118 vs. 126-136) than Hall. The same trend holds - for the years in that period in which they coached - for Mike Fox (.676 overall) and Mike Martin (.667 overall).

So really, the only reason "Group 1" can cling to their argument is because CDH has lingered far beyond his expiration date. To parade his cumulative wins as a badge of honor is to wear blinders to what he's done recently and the competitive landscape that has outpaced him. It's not just about accumulating victories in an era gone by; it's about what you're doing for your team today. And frankly, when you stack CDH up against his contemporaries, it's clear he's not keeping pace.
Good post. ...including your fair criticism in the beginning. Valid points.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow

He looks even worse when compared to O'Conner at UVA, or Corbin at Vanderbuilt, who both took over significantly worse programs than he did.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Very well pitched game tonight. Solid win against a team higher ranked in RPI than us. I'm definitely excited to see the future infield now rather than later in Ryan Jaros (3b) and Carson Kerce (2b). Lackey is a really good defensive catcher but that .130 average has to change. I'm not certain what has gone on with Minnick but why doesn't he catch on the days when Ellis is DH? I think Vaughn is the future but until Ramsey gets his swing right or his confidence up...Just don't understand why Minnick doesn't at least get some ab's.

I'm okay giving up two solo shots but just don't walk batters....

Hopefully Giesler is starting to round back into form along with Payton. Both went deep tonight. We will need them both as we head into the meat of the schedule.

I completely understand a 4 pm first pitch in Atlanta isn't the easiest however it felt like a ghost town at the game today. Lots more noise from a small southern contingency..You could say its due to Atlanta at 4 pm but I also am starting to really notice apathy amongst the fan base...I'm close to being there but I'll be at Russ Chandler no matter our record cause I absolutely love Tech baseball unless my son is playing..

The acc record listed above since 15 of 125-136 is why most are concerned.....It didn't just start the last couple of years.

Have to win the series this weekend against the hokies....must win isn't an understatement...
My son and I will head to the "T day" game and over to Russ Chandler...
Hopefully that helps fill up the stadium on Saturday...these boys deserve and need it.

Last edited:

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
22 more games to play before the ACC Tournament begins on May 21.
Man, it feels like the season just started. But it's about to ramp up, big time.

OOC will be Kenn St, Auburn x2, and Mercer. If we can split Auburn and hold serve against the Georgia teams, that's a win in my book.

Conference play is rough. 6 series, 5 of which are top 16. The exception is Miami. Yikes. Need 10-8 to go .500.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, it feels like the season just started. But it's about to ramp up, big time.

OOC will be Kenn St, Auburn x2, and Mercer. If we can split Auburn and hold serve against the Georgia teams, that's a win in my book.

Conference play is rough. 6 series, 5 of which are top 16. The exception is Miami. Yikes. Need 10-8 to go .500.
Auburn has not had a great season in SEC play, but their mid-week record is a very good 7-1, and more impressively they have only surrendered 22 runs in those 8 games. Those games will be tough. We have a similar mid-week record (6-1) but have surrendered 32 runs in those 7 games, which is still pretty good.

In today's game I was a little surprised that Cam Hill didn't get an inning. I wonder what's up with him. His time with the Jackets has been so frustrating to me, I can't imagine how tough it must be for him.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
In today's game I was a little surprised that Cam Hill didn't get an inning. I wonder what's up with him. His time with the Jackets has been so frustrating to me, I can't imagine how tough it must be for him.
I am a big Cam fan. My hunch is nothing is wrong and he will be one of many that transfer out (if not signed). No intel here, just my take.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I would expect him to get drafted and for him to sign. MLB scouts will see the potential from his performance on the Cape and will be all over that.
This defines the last 15 or so years at GT. There’s quality, but somehow we manage to waste it.