First game with my daughter, looking for advice.

daytonlawvol

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello everyone,

I’m a Tennessee alumni/fan and have taken my daughter to games in Knoxville before, but we are going to the Tech game on Saturday vs Bowling Green. Looking for advice on what to do/what to see etc. She is 8 years old, so we are doing the youth spirit day stuff that the school is doing. Looking forward to the game. I’ve always had a deep respect for Ga Tech and would happily send my kids to school there as opposed to the school that teaches adults to bark at strangers over in Athens. Looking for advice/tips etc…thanks.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Hello everyone,

I’m a Tennessee alumni/fan and have taken my daughter to games in Knoxville before, but we are going to the Tech game on Saturday vs Bowling Green. Looking for advice on what to do/what to see etc. She is 8 years old, so we are doing the youth spirit day stuff that the school is doing. Looking forward to the game. I’ve always had a deep respect for Ga Tech and would happily send my kids to school there as opposed to the school that teaches adults to bark at strangers over in Athens. Looking for advice/tips etc…thanks.
That was about the age I took my daughter to her first game. guess she enjoyed it had to buy her season tickets for the next 40 years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Hello everyone,

Helluva Block Party. Link has lots of info.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Hello everyone,

Be sure to go the student center a few hours before kickoff. The band/cheerleaders does a quick performance that my kids enjoy. Definitely attend the "Helluva Block Party". I brought my seven year old son to his first game this year and we were pleasantly surprised! Arrive early and soak it all in!

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Others have good advice, as someone who grew up going to games at Neyland don't expect Bobby Dodd to feel the same. Both are great venues, but one is 100k people and the other is 55k and likely won't be full.

That said, we've got a lot of fun traditions and it's still a great time. Make sure to stay after the game for Horse and look for Buzz and the Ramblin Wreck to lead the team onto the field. Also our 3rd quarter to 4thquarter tradition will give you a leg workout! Regardless. Have fun!

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
Be sure to go the student center a few hours before kickoff. The band/cheerleaders does a quick performance that my kids enjoy. Definitely attend the "Helluva Block Party". I brought my seven year old son to his first game this year and we were pleasantly surprised! Arrive early and soak it all in!
2:00 at the Campanile and ~2:25 at the Library, to be exact ;)

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd recommend going to the Varsity for an early lunch or whatnot. Its classic, my personal order is a Frosted Orange, 2 Chilli Dogs, Fries, and a Fried Peach Pie. The food is greasy and so bad for you but it taste sooooo good. As many have said, the Helluva Block Party will be happening which should be good too! One of my personal favorite gems, is that sometimes you can get into the Intercollegiate Athletics center on the corner of Techwood and Bobby Dodd Way. This center hosts almost all of our trophies and accolades from all sports at Tech. Sometimes its open sometimes its closed, I'm not sure the actual rules with it, but its worth seeing if you can.

Additionally I'd get in early to see the pre-game marching show, its pretty cool and its a great appetizer before the actual game. Also seconding the Horse and the 3rd-4th transition hahah

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks all. Looking forward to it. Will definitely hit up the Varsity and the block party. Thanks!
Sounds great! My rec at the Varsity is the onion rings - best damn onion rings in the world, IMO. (But my guess is you've been there before, if you're in Atlanta).

Block party sounds like a lot of fun - Yellow Jacket Alley is particularly cool being a young fan. Seeing the players up close feels like a legendary moment. And I'll second the recommendation for seeing the band at the student center/Campanile. I started going to tech games when I was about 5 years old, and by the time I was 10, that was one of my favorite things to do. A lot has changed since then, and I haven't been back to a game from Colorado in 10 years - but I still remember that.

Regardless, hope you and she have a tremendous time (if low-key, since BGSU is less of a draw and the stadium won't be as full). And hope this becomes a thing for you. All of those traditions will be there, and you can check different ones out each time you come.

Enjoy it, and if Atlanta is your home, I'll hope it can become a home away from home for you! There's a lot of shared history between Tennessee and Tech.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If u get time -early- before game - the Georgua Aquarium is not far from campus.
Its world class and next to College football hall of fame.
Dont remember name if breakfast place off lucjie but its great.
Acually, the Aquarium is a 20 minute walk down Luckie street and North Ave, which is a block to SE side of stadium.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The band doesn't do the steps thing anymore before going into the stadium, do they? Because of the Block Party?