Film Study Film Study - Offense vs ND

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That kid played a GREAT game against us. We could not get him off his feet. He has a lot of tools. I'm sorry he was hurt, especially that way. Can you imagine the self guilt that kid will feel?

Yeah...tough for him. Something he's probably done hundreds of time celebrating with teammates. He was actually coming off an ACL tear to the other knee. No matter how much you hate the other team, you never want to see someone get hurt.

Brian Kelly awarded him a game ball for his efforts.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ill-receives-game-ball-after-georgia-tech-win

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
We don't need a TE for this. We throw to abacks. ND crashed down hard quite a bit. A couple plays I remember we tried to burn them throwing to abacks over the top. The smith kid, #9, snuffed them out both times providing blanket coverage on our abacks. I am not aware of another 6'2 235 lbs LB in the country who can replicate that. We almost always win this battle. Huge props to that backer.

Maybe a larger bodied TE would have a better chance at winning that battle over a 5"10" Aback vs. 6"2" LB ?

I realize our base offense does not utilize a TE, but it would sure be good for a little diversity ... ala Saturday afternoon over the top.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
I have thought this for years. We don't need a blocking TE, but a receiver type TE at one of our WR slots. They're more what is used in our offense anyway. They don't need to be a burner to get post routs, but more to get the short yardage passes. But there's also a reason I'm not a coach...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have thought this for years. We don't need a blocking TE, but a receiver type TE at one of our WR slots. They're more what is used in our offense anyway. They don't need to be a burner to get post routs, but more to get the short yardage passes. But there's also a reason I'm not a coach...
Interesting idea- but not sure how we recruit a player like this ? High school basketball power forward or center that's not quite up to college ball.
With our limited routes for WR you may have a good idea.
Late in game When we need to pass for first down , he could move into ab and give a better pitch catch target.

Oh wait - it's not the off season. File this idea for post new year.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought #23 Drue Tranquill was a effin' beast up till the point he injured himself celebrating. He was unblockable, and a heat seeking missile. Dude rarely took a bad step, even when he did, he had the speed and quickness to make up for it. That one pass to the endzone he defended on Taquan Marshall was a great display of that.

Probably ND's best player up till he was injured.
That is so funny to read "....till the point he injured himself celebrating." True, sad, funny, ironic, .......oh wait for it......a real Murphy's Law situation.