Expansion Talk 2021

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
With the Pac releasing today they will not expand in the near future, perhaps the idea of having Px conferences and Gx conferences needs to go. Pac is already a clear last place but probably still slightly better than AAC. B12 could expand back to 10-12 members and those 3 would be a middle tier. P3, M3, G4?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
With the Pac releasing today they will not expand in the near future, perhaps the idea of having Px conferences and Gx conferences needs to go. Pac is already a clear last place but probably still slightly better than AAC. B12 could expand back to 10-12 members and those 3 would be a middle tier. P3, M3, G4?

Shortsighted on the Pac 12. There are some good programs there that won't stay down forever.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This is a bad take

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
Saw today where BYU is and Big 12 are shacking up. Let's see what comes from that.
With the assurance that additional schools won't be poached, the B12 needs to be acting now to get back to 12 teams. And they have more than enough options for them to choose from.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Please!!! It’s Bama and Pips. Playing a FCS, Arkansas, Ole Miss, MSU and Tennessee is not a gauntlet. TAMU Auburn & and LSU minus 2019 have been middling programs as well but if you say something enough people may start believing it
Just ridiculous. In the last 13 seasons the SEC has had 4 different schools win the Division 1 National Football Championship. 4! And out of those 13 years the SEC as a conference has won 9 of them. Yes, Bama has a lions share, but the point is when they have real QB’s teams like Florida, LSU, and Auburn have the facilities, coaches, and linemen depth to win it all. That is complete domination in a sport. Even in its heyday the ACC never came close to that in hoops. Again, I’m not an SEC fan, but as a sports fan I know domination when I see it. What the SEC has done in football over the past 20 years is like watching Tiger during his run. Or like what the Patriots have done the past decade. You may hate it but we’d all love the ACC and our own team get to that level. Heck, many of y’all have been slurping on Clemson’s 2 Nattys like fan boys yet y’all say I’m an SEC homer when I’ve clearly stated I’m not.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just ridiculous. In the last 13 seasons the SEC has had 4 different schools win the Division 1 National Football Championship. 4! And out of those 13 years the SEC as a conference has won 9 of them. Yes, Bama has a lions share, but the point is when they have real QB’s teams like Florida, LSU, and Auburn have the facilities, coaches, and linemen depth to win it all. That is complete domination in a sport. Even in its heyday the ACC never came close to that in hoops. Again, I’m not an SEC fan, but as a sports fan I know domination when I see it. What the SEC has done in football over the past 20 years is like watching Tiger during his run. Or like what the Patriots have done the past decade. You may hate it but we’d all love the ACC and our own team get to that level. Heck, many of y’all have been slurping on Clemson’s 2 Nattys like fan boys yet y’all say I’m an SEC homer when I’ve clearly stated I’m not.
Nah. The SEC is usually Alabama +1. The rest are puffed up average teams. The +1 changes year-to-year, but when these teams aren't the +1, they're not really very good. Florida has been a dumster fier. LSU has been a dumster fire. Auburn has been a dumpster fire. The most consistent #2 team in the SEC are the Perennial Preseason Champions, and that's because they're in the weakest P5 division in College Football, and they always seem to duck LSU, TX A&M, and Alabama.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If playoffs goes to 8 teams, there should be 2 team maximum out of a single conference.

If it goes to 12 or 16 teams, no more than 3 teams from a conference.

That should be reasonable and allow for G5 and Independents to get a shot at being Cinderella.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If playoffs goes to 8 teams, there should be 2 team maximum out of a single conference.

That should be reasonable and allow for G5 and Independents to get a shot at being Cinderella.
Yeah, let’s have a system where the better teams don’t get in because we have to make it fair for lesser teams. Some of y’all need to grow a pair. If the ACC has 5 teams ranked in the top 10 then you better be darn right I’d advocate for them to all be in a 12 team playoff. I know the country is just yearning to see 2 PAC 12 teams ranked in the lower 20’s in an 8 team playoff when a 11 ranked GT gets left out because Clemson and UNC are ranked higher. I know I’d be thrilled for that scenario.

The whining over one conference being better at football is just comical. If you are tired of the SEC stealing the spotlight then demand your school does better. GT has had a shot every season to stop UGA and we see how that usually goes. Stop the whining and just compete!!!!!! Clemson does and it wasn’t so long ago where we beat Clemson regularly.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, let’s have a system where the better teams don’t get in because we have to make it fair for lesser teams.
That is the "system" for basketball. I'd recommend not making comparisons to the basketball tournament... it is apples & oranges.

An 8 team playoff would likely only have 2 (max) deserving from any one conference. Once a conference runs its schedule.... usually they beat up on each other enough that 3rd place has too many losses to justify a "top 8" ranking. Emphasis on usually.

With only a 12 game schedule & 130 teams... it's very difficult to compare teams across conferences & draw line with a bunch of 1-2 loss teams if those losses are against quality opponents. The 2-3 loss SEC teams (lately) get an inflated ranking. It's just the way it is. The SEC has some elite teams... but so do other conferences... & finding 8 of them is pretty easy to do "before" you get to 3rd place SEC team.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I could see doing something like baseball with at large bids for the 31 conferences. For baseball there are 64 teams, 6-9 of which come from the best conferences (SEC and ACC generally).

For football, it would come down to how many conferences get an at large bid. Make more than G5 plus who? Then rest on ranking (market share tic)

And recently the two baseball conferences have dominated, especially the SEC.

IIWII.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That is the "system" for basketball. I'd recommend not making comparisons to the basketball tournament... it is apples & oranges.

An 8 team playoff would likely only have 2 (max) deserving from any one conference. Once a conference runs its schedule.... usually they beat up on each other enough that 3rd place has too many losses to justify a "top 8" ranking. Emphasis on usually.

With only a 12 game schedule & 130 teams... it's very difficult to compare teams across conferences & draw line with a bunch of 1-2 loss teams if those losses are against quality opponents. The 2-3 loss SEC teams (lately) get an inflated ranking. It's just the way it is. The SEC has some elite teams... but so do other conferences... & finding 8 of them is pretty easy to do "before" you get to 3rd place SEC team.
And, as has been pointed out by both pundits and commenters on this site, SEC teams that have high preseason rankings are allowed to have a few “good losses” during the year and still be ranked high enough to be in the hunt. This bias always makes the SEC look stronger than it actually is.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
$EC love fest is crazy. I can remember growing up those mighty sec teams were hardly on tv. Unless it was bama. You’d have to watch the Dooley show to see highlights on a Sunday. ESPN changed all that and when they partnered up it drove the $EC hype train to the moon. I have dwag friends that were up in arms about mizzou getting in, his reasoning was they had slaves so they were good. True story, they’re fighting the civil war all over again through foozeball.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
But we don't do it before the game!
I mean have you gone couch shopping recently? Burning a couch is like burning a similar sized pile of money at the moment, we can't afford to do that right now on our athletic budget. WV must really be loaded if they do it before every game.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I mean have you gone couch shopping recently? Burning a couch is like burning a similar sized pile of money at the moment, we can't afford to do that right now on our athletic budget. WV must really be loaded if they do it before every game.
Hey, don't forget the 1 in 6!