Duke Postgame: GT loses 41-23

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
View attachment 6929

It’s never as good or bad as it seems. We HAVE TO GET OFF THE FIELD!!!

CPJ words on our margin of error when we make a mistake is razor thin! You can make rudimentary mistakes like not fill your gap or think you are so good that you don’t have to wrap up and cost yourself a targeting penalty bc it cost more than others right now. I admit I wish we had under center package for short yardage, but all that is null n void of block the wrong guy. Impressed with Graham and OL was so-so. WRs have to be stronger on contested catches. This is were Camp lost hurts us

in fairness the 4 down conversions were set up by poor third down defense leading to 4th and shorts on our side of the field.

I think one of our safeties had a poor start to the game, got beat in a couple of plays and was late coming over on at least one deep route. If he made one of those first couple of plays Duke punts on both of their first 2 possessions

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m so tired hearing of y’all just point out 2 schools when there is 10 teams on our schedule. We may not out recruit them but we damn sure better get on equal footing/have fighting chance when it comes to size & depth.
You have a point. We may go 1-9 vs those 10 teams this year when we went 7-3 last year. We should focus on making sure we get back to a fighting chance against the 10 teams not named Clemson and UGA.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
And, you made my point. Equal footing will require either equal recruiting OR slightly less recruiting with SUPERIOR coaching. It will depend on how much less recruiting wise on how much the coaching will have to make the difference. You guys are "all in" on this staff and HC, and I just don't see it.

Nobody is all in one anything. This is the coach and staff our school hired. I’m rooting for him just like I’ve rooted for every GT coach. It is up to the people GT hired to create their destiny, not us. I loved CPJ and still do. But he left and after the last few seasons it was the right call. I wish we would have hired Saban but we didn’t.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Why in the world waste a game with Yates on one PAT when we were behind by like 3 TD's. Now he can play 3 more without losing a red shirt. Made no sense. I have to question the mentality of that substitution at that time. Kick the point and go for 2 if you score again. The 4th down calls were bad in this deep formation. This coaching staff is losing me real fast.
Our DL is undersized and not athletic enough to compensate for it. We could have used Big B in the middle of the DL.
We could not block their blitz all day.
The score did not really indicate how badly we were beat today.
BTW I was at the game. Maybe 20k at most for their homecoming. We usually have more Tech fans here as well. This is a tough year.

They are sneaky good about corner blitzes. Pitt had a devil of a time dealing with Duke's blitzes in the second half of their game. Duke came very close to coming back for a win after being down more than 3 scores in the first half.

Animal02

Banned
Well, that is what we are doing whether you or I agree. This season and next season are throw aways while Collins turns the roster and recruits. TStan won’t be fired and neither will Collins. And you are wrong. Teams throw away seasons all the time.
It is simply disgusting that the same fans that whined about going 7-6 are willing to "throw away" seasons for some future "hope" There is no other words except disgust. Any AD that willingly throws away seasons should be canned. This is not pro sports that you play for future draft picks. These kids get 4-5 years to play at this level. NO season is a throw away. It is disgusting you think that is okay.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
in fairness the 4 down conversions were set up by poor third down defense leading to 4th and shorts on our side of the field.

I think one of our safeties had a poor start to the game, got beat in a couple of plays and was late coming over on at least one deep route. If he made one of those first couple of plays Duke punts on both of their first 2 possessions

So we should concede the 4th Downs because they are short?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This hasn’t been true lately. Duke’s class last year was rated ahead of ours. Duke’s 2017 class was rated ahead of ours. Duke’s 2016 class was rated substantially ahead of ours.

Our 2015 and 2018 classes were rated ahead. However, we’ve had some serious attrition over the past few years.

And it’s not just the numbers, but how you put them together.
Now here's what I'm talking about when I say that the composite overall ratings are deceptive. I did an analysis on this awhile ago on this, using average stars from 247. I compared Tech, VT, Rice, and Purdue since they are all FBS technical schools and threw in Duke and Pitt for comparison. (And, needless to say, da U, Clemson, UNC, and FSU have always out-recruited everybody else.) Here are the results:

screen-shot-2018-10-20-at-11-09-14-am-png.4340

As can be seen, using average stars VT and (slightly) Pitt are out recruiting Tech, but Duke sure isn't, though they have been getting closer. The interesting thing here is to look at MBob's years (2013 - 16). Duke started to really catch up when the money for the football program stagnated.

You are, however, very correct about the effects of attrition. Every school deals with that, but Tech has had worse luck in recent years then most. Career-ending injuries, crucial transfers, and dismissals had a bigger role for Tech since they removed some of the best recruits we brought in recently: Ratliff, Jordan, Mills, Marshall, Benson, Leggett, Andrews … and that's a partial list of just the skill players. It's surprising that we did as well as we have over the last few years after losing so many impact players at crucial positions. And, of course, now we have changed to an offensive system that is requiring a substantial adjustment.

But this has little to do with overall recruiting. Multiple analyses here have shown that Tech has done batter then people think over the last few years.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is all in one anything. This is the coach and staff our school hired. I’m rooting for him just like I’ve rooted for every GT coach. It is up to the people GT hired to create their destiny, not us. I loved CPJ and still do. But he left and after the last few seasons it was the right call. I wish we would have Saban but we didn’t.

Agree with all of this, but Saban is not the coach that GT would need, and he would be the first to tell you that. He has to be at a place where he can out recruit everyone else. We must have a coach that can out think everyone else, because we will never out recruit the top teams. We can out recruit the Dukes and Wake Forests of the world, but that won't take us where we want to be, without superior coaching.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
So Mason and Howard, really good jobs today. RB’s as a whole need a bigger role. (No duh right?)

Brown looks pretty damn good. Get him the ball more.

Defense? Struggled in the first half even before our O couldn’t sustain most drives.

OL? Ouch.

Seems like we went away from a lot of plays that were working. I won’t ever watch this reply to confirm though but I’d rather use the cpj mentality and run 10 players great than 25 plays that don’t work.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It is simply disgusting that the same fans that whined about going 7-6 are willing to "throw away" seasons for some future "hope" There is no other words except disgust. Any AD that willingly throws away seasons should be canned. This is not pro sports that you play for future draft picks. These kids get 4-5 years to play at this level. NO season is a throw away. It is disgusting you think that is okay.

Yes, and I believe with this philosophy, about 9-4 will be our top potential. We have seen that before.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Sanders is winning some too. JP Mason and Howard are playing well. Transfer TE has overall been fairly disappointing.

Davis had his best day today but couldnt hang on to that first down ball when he took a lick. Was just an ok player at uconn so our expectations were probably toi high there.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, that is what we are doing whether you or I agree. This season and next season are throw aways while Collins turns the roster and recruits. TStan won’t be fired and neither will Collins. And you are wrong. Teams throw away seasons all the time.

Well, he can and perhaps will, "throw away two seasons in a row" but I guarantee you a third bad season will have crowds dwindling away to Duke size or worse. Coach Collins deserves time and our support as fans but he has a hard row to hoe for sure. It does not get any easier beginning next week with the schizophrenic Canes. More craziness to come.

murrayjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Of course Duke is not vastly more talented than us. Their lines of scrimmage are probably better due to both our injuries and personnel misfits for a non-option team. They also have 12 years of coaching and system continuity. I hate getting blown out as much as the next guy, but I know this is going to take time.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, he can and perhaps will, "throw away two seasons in a row" but I guarantee you a third bad season will have crowds dwindling away to Duke size or worse. Coach Collins deserves time and our support as fans but he has a hard row to hoe for sure. It does not get any easier beginning next week with the schizophrenic Canes. More craziness to come.

HG: I wish I believed it would take 3 years of this to dwindle our crowds. They will begin dwindling immediately. If we are this bad, or close to it, when the season begins next year, we may see some historically low numbers.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Why in the world waste a game with Yates on one PAT when we were behind by like 3 TD's. Now he can play 3 more without losing a red shirt. Made no sense.

was that "He was ATL so that means he has to see the field"?

Geez, I hope not.

Did he see more PT after that?