Duke Baseball

How many games will GT win versus Duke?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
You need to start even further back when breaking it down. The pitch was difficult to handle. Agree both players did amazing things on the play. Multiple things each. Lackey handling the pitch...throwing a rocket off balance... then Beccheti managing to catch it... mid leap... while avoiding the sliding runner AND applying the tag.
I agree 100% with you regarding Lackey's throw. Lackey showed out just making the catch and throwing off balance. Bechetti did well just not to be killed, much less making the put out. I do admit my perspective may be weighed as an ex-2nd baseman. :)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Realistically, how long until our overall pitching is even average? It feels like we’ve not been good for a while on the pitching side of the equation

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we get into the NCAA tournament but it won't matter. Pitching is not good enough to go very far. Would be nice reward to the players to at least qualify.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Based on the results the last two days you can say the same about Duke's pitching. But I don't hear anyone saying they can't make it out of a regional. Just sayin.

Duke will not make it out of a regional if they don't get Scarlucci back. Even if they do it will be very tough without another effective starter (at least we haven't seen one until this afternoon). I am not impressed with Duke's pitching and think they are the case of a team which was far better early in the season than they are now.

Good and deep pitching is essential to advance in the NCAAT. I think we all agree on that.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I looked at a bunch of times and guess it would have been chest high. So not a perfect classic throw several feet up, but it would have hit runner at a couple feet up. Just a guess.

What do people guess the velo was - 100mph?
A good major league catcher throws the ball to second in the mid eighties and it’s considered elite.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe we get into the NCAA tournament but it won't matter. Pitching is not good enough to go very far. Would be nice reward to the players to at least qualify.
Probably gets CDH another extension so there is also that depending on where you stand as far as the future direction of the program.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A good major league catcher throws the ball to second in the mid eighties and it’s considered elite.

Thanks, I've seen OF rated with 100 mph throws but they have a much better stance and can probably use much more of their body. So less for catchers makes sense. I only have an uncalibrated eyeball.

FWIW, Warren Nolan has us winning the game today by a run, 7-6. Given the pitching staffs for both, I'd be surprised with that low a scoring of game. But college baseball statistics are volatile so anything can happen.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Duke will not make it out of a regional if they don't get Scarlucci back. Even if they do it will be very tough without another effective starter (at least we haven't seen one until this afternoon). I am not impressed with Duke's pitching and think they are the case of a team which was far better early in the season than they are now.

Good and deep pitching is essential to advance in the NCAAT. I think we all agree on that.
I would say that good and deep pitching is essential to any postseason play.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Are there fans who would rather not see this team in post-season... even if you know ahead of time they will lose the regional?

That (to me) is crazy. [FWIW... crazy is allowed... just crazy]
Estimating that there are many CDH detractors who would like a different voice for this program, I do not think it’s that crazy that those who don’t want Hall back and believe our pitching is substandard for the post season would rather see us lose and not qualify. I’m not one of them, but I understand their perspective.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Are there fans who would rather not see this team in post-season... even if you know ahead of time they will lose the regional?

That (to me) is crazy. [FWIW... crazy is allowed... just crazy]
I just like to watch our guys play, even if it does make me sick on occasion. :)
My hope is to make a regional and win at least one game, knowing we will not advance.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
If that is indeed true, then go Duke. However, maybe Hall will get elected into the sacrifice bunting Hall of Fame and GT can go in another direction.
Let’s get to the post season so these athletes can enjoy that moment. It might be the only time they get to experience it. That is what matters. Look at all the recognition CDH got this past year after a less than stellar season. It’s all about him.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Estimating that there are many CDH detractors who would like a different voice for this program, I do not think it’s that crazy that those who don’t want Hall back and believe our pitching is substandard for the post season would rather see us lose and not qualify. I’m not one of them, but I understand their perspective.
Ok. Asking you this. Do you believe anything (within reason) can happen that will have Hall leave before he wants to?

I don't believe any results on the field will have any impact on Hall's departure point. That is 100% up to him. I have no inside scoop. Just feels that's where we are.