Danny Hall question

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Let Ramsey coach the rest of the year and hopefully keep the recruiting class intact. Four signees decided to play pro ball this year and three underclassmen also signed pro contracts. Hard to replace all of that. Just a point: we have little to no NIL money, which limits us in the Portal. Like CBK let’s see how the team responds to a new voice at the head of the program. Evaluate and search at the end of the season to hire the next coach.

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
Guys want some good news? A parent of one of our older pitchers told me Drew is probably going to transfer to JUCO so he can enter the draft sooner.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let Ramsey coach the rest of the year and hopefully keep the recruiting class intact. Four signees decided to play pro ball this year and three underclassmen also signed pro contracts. Hard to replace all of that. Just a point: we have little to no NIL money, which limits us in the Portal. Like CBK let’s see how the team responds to a new voice at the head of the program. Evaluate and search at the end of the season to hire the next coach.

I guess my only problem with Ramsey taking over now is that it doesn't seem to be that useful a test. The season is 43% done and baseball is a game that takes years to develop. I don't think (which may be the problem - tic) that Hall has made any real egregious moves this year and I think the players are motivated.

So changing out to Ramsey now would have the biggest impact on next year's team roster, which we wouldn't be able to evaluate very well by the end of the season. We would not be able to compare who left and would not have stayed under Hall since we can't do both courses.

Regardless, I've wanted Hall gone for over 5 years based on the team's post season performance relative to my perception of talent. So a change after Easter Day for Ramsey would be fine by me.

But I don't see this change happening. Hall remains very successful at getting players drafted. The past MLB players who contribute a lot to the program may value that aspect as much as team winning, after all we are just another stop on the players careers who make it to the MLB. The MLBers may have sufficient loyalty to Hall to overlook the team record.

Happy Easter guys, this too shall pass.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Serious question. Is NIL now a part of college baseball (or ANY non-revenue sport)??? That makes zero sense to me. Seems like a major waste of $$$ (no ROI in his case). Note: I AM assuming that baseball at GT (and elsewhere) has more expenses than revenue. Is this assumption incorrect?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Serious question. Is NIL now a part of college baseball (or ANY non-revenue sport)??? That makes zero sense to me. Seems like a major waste of $$$ (no ROI in his case). Note: I AM assuming that baseball at GT (and elsewhere) has more expenses than revenue. Is this assumption incorrect?
Expense vs. Revenue is Athletic Department issue. NIL does not factor in that equation at all, as it is funded outside the AA.

Also, I know you did not say it, buy since you quoted it and referenced it your response. No one know how much NIL funds are available for any sport let alone for baseball.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Guys want some good news? A parent of one of our older pitchers told me Drew is probably going to transfer to JUCO so he can enter the draft sooner.
He better close out the back half of this season strong. I guess I understand what he’s doing given the rules, but thought given he got on campus he’d have decided not to spend 2-3 years riding around on a greyhound bus. Visialia, Rancho Cucamonga and Lake Elsinore are some hot spots. Then again even Parada, Wieters, etc started out in A ball so I’m not sure if college does anything for you except reduce your sign on bonus.

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
Rea

Sad reality to all this legit disgust that Danny is still coaching is that he quits when he wants to not when I wanted him to. Which was after the Mott Hyde class came through and did absolutely ZRRO. That class was loaded with rich talent. That was CWS roster. This roster would have a hard time beating a cobb county 16u team.

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
He better close out the back half of this season strong. I guess I understand what he’s doing given the rules, but thought given he got on campus he’d have decided not to spend 2-3 years riding around on a greyhound bus. Visialia, Rancho Cucamonga and Lake Elsinore are some hot spots. Then again even Parada, Wieters, etc started out in A ball so I’m not sure if college does anything for you except reduce your sign on bonus.
You are correct that was the original plan. Education trumped draft. The hot start has the family rethinking the process.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps. There are several major responsibilities that a major league catcher must manage other than the physical aspects of the game. Learning the league’s hitters is one. Who knows what is going on with him. A new start can often help.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Of all the things to blame on Hall, we’re holding him accountable for a guy 5 years after he left GT?