Crowd Noise vs Miami

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Posted this in another thread but wanted to bring it up in forum. I've read a bit that the crowd was pumped. Wasn't sure how it seemed on TV.

I don't have a real good grasp of exactly how loud we were in the stands compared to other prior big games. It's kinda hard to tell in the moment when you are screaming your head off. I can say section 101 was loud. And I can say it's probably the best I have seen for making noise ALL game long for the D. Noise on 3rd downs? Check. Noise on 2nd downs? Check. Noise every damn down?....pretty damn close. Well done Jackets!

Hope we bring it vs Puke also.

Milwaukee

Banned
This was the first time I've sat up behind the band, upper deck section 216. The noise does not carry well up there that's for sure. We could barely hear the band. It was weird, the place was obviously ROCKING but we couldn't hear it up where we were. I could tell that the players on the field could definitely hear the crowd, which is great.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in the north endzone student section and couldn't hear the people next to me talk when we got going. It was definitely louder than usual. There were some awkward downtimes when the band wasn't playing and we were taking a breather from yelling that I think should have been filled with PA music though.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
A redshirt freshman told me after the game that it was awsome- he said they could not even talk to each other on the sideline- on a side note we need to figure out how to keep our student section quiet when "we" have the ball on the north end!
Just saying

The dang freshmen won't shut up. These young bloods need to learn.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
People were loud on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th defensive downs. Normally people ask you to be quite except on 3rd down.

The non-football people were so excited about being on the 10 yard line, our offense had to ask them quite down. Days was doing the arm flap thing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It was serene at the upper reaches of Section 219. Great view of the skyline .... we were at the same height as the Tech tower and couldn't hear the band much. Noticed that the East and West stands didn't sing together on Ramblin Wreck...... or maybe it was the carry time for the sound. Regardless we yelled a lot on key plays. There were a good number of Miami fans around who were quiet once we scored the second time.

I agree with the comment about the construction of the stadium funneling the sound to the field.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is a small stadium and the seats are pretty close to the field. Sound intensity decreases with the square of distance. When you look at the upper east for instance. There may not be an upper deck as close to the playing surface in any stadium. The South EZ has a reflecting wall right behind it even though it is generally pretty small.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It is a small stadium and the seats are pretty close to the field. Sound intensity decreases with the square of distance. When you look at the upper east for instance. There may not be an upper deck as close to the playing surface in any stadium. The South EZ has a reflecting wall right behind it even though it is generally pretty small.

when i was in school there were no seats in the south endzone. That wall reflects EVERYTHING from the side stands and the north. It still does....the south stands add a little but the reflective quality of the wardlaw building for the north stands is the key....

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
sat in upper west stands. Great views of the city but oddly the noise missed us...It was my first time up there, my wife and i mentioned to each other how quiet it seemed.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
sat in upper west stands. Great views of the city but oddly the noise missed us...It was my first time up there, my wife and i mentioned to each other how quiet it seemed.

The noise will always miss you in the upper west. Its the farthest seats, and basically the highest from the stadium on an "unenclosed" end. There is really no outdoor stadium in the world where the high ups like that sound loud....Unless they have noise covers...but most are not that loud up there.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I used to sit in the upper west stands....the construction of the upper deck had less to do with lack of noise than the actual butts in the seats. There was a section or two that would make noise up there but by and large.....folks behaved like they were sittin in their recliner at home.