CPJ tells a funny story

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This was in Ken's ajc article covering coach's speech to the touchdown club Monday:

10. Lastly, a story you can tell on yourself when you are 4-0. On Tech’s first drive of the second half, Thomas fumbled on an option pitch to A-back Broderick Snoddy. Virginia Tech recovered on the Georgia Tech 10-yard line, where a three-and-out forced the Hokies to try a field goal, which was blocked by Chris Milton.

Johnson, though, was fuming that Snoddy was in the game for that play. Over the headset, he demanded of coaches in the box who had put him in the game. He was met with silence.

“So (Snoddy) comes over on the sideline and he comes up to me, and I go, ‘Broderick, who put you in the game?’” Johnson said. “He said, ‘You did.’ I said, ‘What?” He said, ‘You did, Coach. You sent the play in with me.’”

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/09/23/9-tech-notes-and-a-paul-johnson-story/

GoodBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It looked like that play started with a false start (right side - I think a VT player even pointed to it). JT seemed to hesitate, as if he thought they would call it. When they didn't call it, the timing of the entire play was off. I kept looking for the flag, especially with the fumble, and was surprised it hadn't been called. Did anyone else notice that or was I imagining it?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I remember CPJ telling a story about his time at Navy on a radio show I believe. As we know, Navy has weight restrictions so their OL usually gives up a LOT of weight against most DLs. One time they were playing a really good team with a stout DL. One particular O -lineman was getting has butt handed to him series after series and the whole OL wasn't doing much better. CPJ finally addressed the entire OL on the sidelines, and after dressing down the group, he singled out that one Olineman who was getting his butt handed to him. He went off for a while on that one guy (we've seen him do it to players so we know it's not a pleasant situation to be in), and finally ended his "speech" to the that lineman by saying something to the effect of "What's the matter? Is he better than you or something?!" To which the lineman just said "Yes he is."

CPJ said the kid was honest about it, and anyone who saw the kid against the DL (who may have ended up in the NFL if I remember correctly) knew the DLineman was better than him, so there really wasn't much CPJ could say to him. You can only say so much because it's hard to overcome physical superiority. The reply caught CPJ off guard because football players don't usually admit when someone is better than them, and he said he still laughs about it.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I remember CPJ telling a story about his time at Navy on a radio show I believe. As we know, Navy has weight restrictions so their OL usually gives up a LOT of weight against most DLs. One time they were playing a really good team with a stout DL. One particular O -lineman was getting has butt handed to him series after series and the whole OL wasn't doing much better. CPJ finally addressed the entire OL on the sidelines, and after dressing down the group, he singled out that one Olineman who was getting his butt handed to him. He went off for a while on that one guy (we've seen him do it to players so we know it's not a pleasant situation to be in), and finally ended his "speech" to the that lineman by saying something to the effect of "What's the matter? Is he better than you or something?!" To which the lineman just said "Yes he is."

CPJ said the kid was honest about it, and anyone who saw the kid against the DL (who may have ended up in the NFL if I remember correctly) knew the DLineman was better than him, so there really wasn't much CPJ could say to him. You can only say so much because it's hard to overcome physical superiority. The reply caught CPJ off guard because football players don't usually admit when someone is better than them, and he said he still laughs about it.
I remember this story and this was probably one of the key things that made a huge impression on me about Coach Johnson. In fact, it made such an impression on me that I bookmarked it:
http://mdjonline.com/pages/full_story/push?id=14849974

Take a look at the video on the left side. CPJ tells several anecdotes to the high school coaches in Cobb county including the one you are referring to.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I remember this story and this was probably one of the key things that made a huge impression on me about Coach Johnson. In fact, it made such an impression on me that I bookmarked it:
http://mdjonline.com/pages/full_story/push?id=14849974

Take a look at the video on the left side. CPJ tells several anecdotes to the high school coaches in Cobb county including the one you are referring to.

Thanks, John. Not sure why I remembered that story...but probably subconsciously for the same reason you did.

That's the side of CPJ I wish a lot of our fans and media (mainly national media) got to see more often...our coach is actually quite funny and personable. He gets crap for some of the things he does on the sidelines during games, and sometimes he says some stuff that makes us cringe...but he's one of the good guys in the college coaching ranks.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Coach has his swagger back and thur good schedule where coaches and players have learned the maximum possible and barely winning injury free football games, we can see victory to be grasped. We must dominate miami to live up to the teams potential. Coach has his swagger back ( fast qb that sees future and has quick release). I think we are about to run the pure TO with and aggressive defense.

Last edited: