CPJ on Jay Jones

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Q. What did you learn about your quarterbacks during spring ball?
PAUL JOHNSON: Well, we had four guys who were actually playing quarterback this spring, and I was pleased with all four. Matthew Jordan went down about the second week of spring, but that enabled -- we had a couple redshirt freshmen, Lucas Johnson and Jay Jones, who had really good springs, and so did TaQuon Marshall, so I was happy with our quarterbacks. I think we could play with any of those guys.

Q. Talk about your quarterbacks vying for the position of quarterback this year. Talk about the three players you saw in the spring. What do they look like?
PAUL JOHNSON: Well, I thought, as I said earlier, they all had good springs. TaQuon Marshall is a little bit bigger than Justin. I think he has some of the same attributes. He played as a true freshman at slotback for us, at A-back. Good athlete. The two redshirt freshmen, Lucas Johnson is about 6'4", 215 out of San Diego. I think he's a good dual-threat guy. And Jay Jones may be the quickest, fastest guy we've ever had here at quarterback. They're all talented, and then Matthew Jordan is a little bigger, a little more physical, and he was the backup a year ago, so he was out there for the first couple weeks of spring, as well.

To clarify my point here, KQ took CPJs statement out of context imo. It seems to me CPJ was saying all are competing and bringing different stuff to the table.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Q. Talk about your quarterbacks vying for the position of quarterback this year. Talk about the three players you saw in the spring. What do they look like?
PAUL JOHNSON: Well, I thought, as I said earlier, they all had good springs. TaQuon Marshall is a little bit bigger than Justin. I think he has some of the same attributes. He played as a true freshman at slotback for us, at A-back. Good athlete. The two redshirt freshmen, Lucas Johnson is about 6'4", 215 out of San Diego. I think he's a good dual-threat guy. And Jay Jones may be the quickest, fastest guy we've ever had here at quarterback. They're all talented, and then Matthew Jordan is a little bigger, a little more physical, and he was the backup a year ago, so he was out there for the first couple weeks of spring, as well.

Thanks for providing context..

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
To clarify my point here, KQ took CPJs statement out of context imo. It seems to me CPJ was saying all are competing and bringing different stuff to the table.

and then gets on here and laughs at the comments lol..

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
per Kelly Quinlan, CPJ stated that Jay Jones is the fastest and quickest QB he has ever had at Georgia Tech. He said this during the ACC teleconference.

Pretty heavy praise from coach.

It is part of just about any Georgia Tech fan's DNA to be eternally pessimistic, dismissive, cynical etc. I really thought that we would not see a quarterback remotely as athletic as JT for the remainder of Coach Johnson's tenure. I envisioned a string of earnest, dedicated, "plodders" that would leave fans longing for the good old days when JT was whirling, dishing, slashing past befuddled defenders leaving opposing coaches slack jawed in disbelief muttering to each other "How did he do that?" Yet, here we have an abundance of riches. A JT clone as it were, in JJ, a complimentary fast and tall LJ with a bazooka arm, a well schooled athletic TM and a bruiser with speed in MJ. We are truly blessed and not a rap sheet or team violation in any of them. What have we done to have the proverbial "gods of football" bequeath such riches upon such a downtrodden undeserving fan base?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lucas Johnson is about 6'4", 215 out of San Diego. I think he's a good dual-threat guy.

Holy crap....CPJ is saying we've got the next Russell Wilson/Cam Newton/Tim Tebow/DeShaun Watson?!!! :)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not that this is at all accurate, but ESPN listed his 40 time at 4.74

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/208403/jay-jay-jones

He definitely looked shifty, but I'm not sure he's as fast as JT
There was one play during the spring game where he took off and separated from people. My eyebrows went up and I thought "holy crap, did I just see that?" Speed is one of those things that can't be faked. JJ has a lot of speed. I have no idea what his times are and I don't care. On the football field, he separates from people. What he has is a combination of a lot of things, but I do believe, after a single viewing, one of those things is ++ speed. That is just me, TIFWIW.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What have we done to have the proverbial "gods of football" bequeath such riches upon such a downtrodden undeserving fan base?

we have done nothing but wait and endured and hoped and yes, even doubted...our suffering has not quite been 40 years wandering in the desert but it has been well more than just a mere 40 days and nights in the same. I suppose this indeed may be the year whereas the drought has been lifted and we can return unto the promised land. Or perhaps we must wait as long as our friendly foes in upstate SC, or heaven forbid, continue to wander alone in the desert longer than the heathen tribe to the east (although it is our lot in life to pray for them if we read with just intention the Book). Whatever task is laid at my feet, I will gladly accept and continue to hope and yearn for things unseen. If I am asked to walk a mile, I will gladly walk two.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is part of just about any Georgia Tech fan's DNA to be eternally pessimistic, dismissive, cynical etc. I really thought that we would not see a quarterback remotely as athletic as JT for the remainder of Coach Johnson's tenure. I envisioned a string of earnest, dedicated, "plodders" that would leave fans longing for the good old days when JT was whirling, dishing, slashing past befuddled defenders leaving opposing coaches slack jawed in disbelief muttering to each other "How did he do that?" Yet, here we have an abundance of riches. A JT clone as it were, in JJ, a complimentary fast and tall LJ with a bazooka arm, a well schooled athletic TM and a bruiser with speed in MJ. We are truly blessed and not a rap sheet or team violation in any of them. What have we done to have the proverbial "gods of football" bequeath such riches upon such a downtrodden undeserving fan base?

I probably need to start calling for playing three QBs in a game rather than just two ....... (tic)

This will all sort itself out and I expect some players will go to different positions if that is the way to get the best athletes on the field in a game.

Jay Jones looked great to me on the scramble in the scrimmage. The downside is that he had to scramble so much .......

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Imo the reason we had 2 of our best seasons under CPJ in 2014, and 2016 is because of JT. He just had that "it" factor, and so I think that's why so many of us are high on JJ. Now he might not have that "it" factor, but from the comments we have heard from CPJ and the spring game, it seems from the small sample size, that he does have that "it" factor. It takes a special athleticism to create some of the plays JT was able to produce, and when it's a close game that's what you need sometimes. It can literally be the difference from having a 6 or 7 win season to a 9 or 10 win season. Look at the games JT set us up to win, that without that athleticism we could have lost, UGA, GSU, DUKE. Now, I'm not saying with more of a bruiser QB we can't have great seasons with 9+ wins, that all depends on if they make the right reads and the supporting cast just like it does with a more atheletic guy, but I think a guy like JJ just excites us, because we see what can happen with a player like him.