CPJ gets big payday due to high APR

LibertyTurns

Banned
Gotta give a shout out to Clemson and Alabama. Their APR was the second highest in the ACC (only behind Duke) and in the SEC (only behind Vanderbilt), respectively, and they still get it done on the field. The mutts are third to last in the SEC.

https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/aprsearch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mutts thought APR was Arrests per Recruit. If they thought it had something to do with academics, they’d be running out of coloring books at the Cesspool.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Gotta give a shout out to Clemson and Alabama. Their APR was the second highest in the ACC (only behind Duke) and in the SEC (only behind Vanderbilt), respectively, and they still get it done on the field. The mutts are third to last in the SEC.

https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/aprsearch

Have you seen what majors their kids take?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

No but aren’t you a bit surprised that they are able to get a good APR? Many of their players are four and five star recruits who likely aspire to play in the NFL, not necessarily graduate college.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No but aren’t you a bit surprised that they are able to get a good APR? Many of their players are four and five star recruits who likely aspire to play in the NFL, not necessarily graduate college.

They have to stay eligible to play. I don't know how any school can survive a low APR. As for Bammer and Clem's son, when you have the pick of the litter, you can be choosy as to which 4 and 5 stars you offer. You don't offer the ones that can't get through the basket weaving majors they provide.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
They have to stay eligible to play. I don't know how any school can survive a low APR. As for Bammer and Clem's son, when you have the pick of the litter, you can be choosy as to which 4 and 5 stars you offer. You don't offer the ones that can't get through the basket weaving majors they provide.

I can’t defend Bama but Clemson is ranked #67 in U.S. News (GT is #34). While they do have some easier majors, they also have many of the same engineering, architecture, and business majors that Tech has. Anyway, this discussion is getting old. Maybe MIT will bring back their football team so we can have something new to talk about.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Great news for CPJ. Well deserved, and I would hope he gets more than that for beating ugag on the field.

To answer, partially, your question, it was the gosh forsaken off season before the 2016 season, if I remember correctly. I decided to find, as best as possible, the academic majors of the ACC teams we were to play the upcoming season. Did not attempt any SEC teams, so no idea about bama.

For CU as best as I could find -

Business - 8 players
Recreation / Parks - 7
Graphic design communication (if I read it correctly) - 4
Justice - 2
Sociology - 6
Sports Communication - 8. (Have always been curious if this is some type of major GT could get involved with?)
Psychology - 5
Agri Business - 2
Economics - 2
English - 3
Health Science - 5
Engineering (type ?) - 4
Management - 5
History - 5
Marketing - 5
Biology / Science - 5
Construction Mgt - 2. (Trying to remember if this was exact degree title. IDK)

If I added correct, = 78. So assume that was the total of players on scholarship. At least at print time of pub I found.

Deleted member 2897

As we all know, our school has a rigor like few others. We don't have a single Bachelors of Arts degree the last time I looked. UNCheat ran fake classes for decades to help keep high graduation rates and APRs. I'll take someone majoring in Business at Georgia Tech over Parks & Rec from Clemson any day. The family's son across the street from me graduated with a degree in Parks & Rec last May (non-athlete) and still hasn't found a relevant job. He's been interning and farting around and still lives at home without a steady job.

Don't get me wrong, its good that the players are getting a degree. That's better than the alternative. But knowing what many of their majors and schools are like, it doesn't really impress me.

I'm glad to see schools give bonuses out for this to coaches, even if it may be easy for some. Really it should be the guiding principle at all colleges and more should pay for this type of performance.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

No because APR is a joke metric.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

Remember, now that UNCheaters have set the bar, there is no reason to have real classes to keep athletes eligible according to the NCAA. So I take most of these with a giant grain of salt.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone imagines that Tech is running fake classes or is fraudulently handing out grades. I think we're actually a great model of how NCAA scholarships are supposed to work. We get people who would not have access otherwise a great education which is built on a foundation of values and life skills. Sure our major sports athletes get a ton of assistance, but we don't approach it as simply trying to keep players eligible. Everyone who leaves Tech with a degree does so with serious advancement in wisdom and knowledge.