Conference Realignment

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As I stated in this post, ESPN's spin is that it was a bad week for the ACC. Two of the teams they cited, Clemson and GT, lost games which they said is bad for the conference. Apparently it doesn't matter than an ACC team also won those games. It apparently also doesn't matter that the ACC was 2-1 vs the SEC. It also doesn't matter that the SEC had what should be considered a bad week, it only matters that some of the ACC teams lost even if they lost conference games to ACC opponents.

Here's the SEC Network's spin:

Paul Finebaum did not mince words when asked about the SEC’s Week 1 performance, specifically how Florida, South Carolina and LSU lost high-profile games.

There’s no way to sugar coat it, it was a terrible weekend,” he said on his regular Monday appearance on WJOX’s “McElroy and Cubelic In the morning.” “You can look at the other wins and say, ‘SEC! SEC,’ but those were the 3 games that everybody was zeroed in on. Those were the single-digit spread games. Everything else, including Tennessee-Virginia, were into the stratosphere, so how do you come out of the first weekend feeling very good, especially considering that 2 of those losses were to the ACC, especially 2 schools that many wonder could end up being in the SEC at some point.”

I guess you could argue that the last sentence is a lifesaver of sorts, but everyone already thinks this anyway. I have pretty much heard from most SEC pundits that the weekend pretty much sucked for the SEC.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Cause that's a societal-level incentive: There's prestige in passing the test. There's prestige in making the test hard. There's prestige in rejecting applicants. There's prestige in bringing in research dollars. There isn't prestige at being good at teaching. There isn't prestige in turning the unprepared high-schoolers into well-equipped adults. How do we fix that?

Like, all the talk of "I wouldn't get in these days" strikes me as extremely weird: so today's version of you would have fewer opportunities than you did? That seems like a bad thing. (Though I'm not sure I actually believe it because today's high school students of the sort who would apply in the first place have been far more helicoptered and coached than 20, 30, 40+ years ago, and so IMO things like test scores and GPAs have become something of a zero-sum race-to-the-top. But I think that's a kinda sad and bad thing too... roboticism over creativity and balance.)
I think I like you. You're damned right, its a societal problem. How is it that the response to "oh ****, the incoming freshman class is turbo****ed and highly unlikely to succed" has been "well ok, tell me how you plan to pass them all while nothing else changes".

We make fun of U(sic)gA and UMCheat for that kind of motivated entitlement, but the truth is it's overtaken society at large.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think I like you. You're damned right, its a societal problem. How is it that the response to "oh ****, the incoming freshman class is turbo****ed and highly unlikely to succed" has been "well ok, tell me how you plan to pass them all while nothing else changes".

We make fun of U(sic)gA and UMCheat for that kind of motivated entitlement, but the truth is it's overtaken society at large.
I dont owe the shaft gt professors for making me resourceful. I was always that way. I found that by adding superior effort i made top grades. The hill did not care.

Now the Hill cares that no one stops paying full tuition. Grade inflation, tuturing paid for by likely hire mega corporations , vastly increased foreign students ( many have been in college in home country) , etc have maxed out revenue .
Are the students w top grades less resourceful or hard working?

Bell curves was 2 A s, 2 Fs big group of Cs. NO BODY MADE DEANS LIST

Now is 2 4.0, 2 2.5 and big group of 3.2. NOW MOST GET ON DEANS LIST

WE HAVE GREAT STUDENTS LIKE ALWAYS

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Would be nice if the ACC could sue ESPN over this.
Reading above - V , who PAYS spectrum , calls them and says - i accept same services but will need a billing cut. They say yes, you are the boss

Also, we have the bashing of FSU for wanting more than the "team" ( of university presidents) who just wish we could all just get along".

Yeti thinks we should complain about a bad article.

So 2 guys call Espn to complain and the guy on phone pulls up thier account but refers them to the espn manager looking at who goes and who stays.
The FSU guy is ademant that they are a champion program and shows him about thier great run in 90s
The gt guy says we won one time 90.
Tv guy says lets look at the Contract award in 2016. What was your record in 6 yeads before we stsrted giving you big tv. BOTH SAY WE WERE NOT ALL THAT GOOD - gt says we won 36 games and FSU says we won 41 games - Tv guy says we were hoping to see improvement- how bout last 6 years. Gt asks to go last. FSU says we toke your tv money and have won 68 games. We are ranked in top ten, have hiesman candidate, got great staff and lots of nfl talent that are back to win it all. Tv guy says take the up escalator - got some executives u need to meet with.
GT guy says yea they won 41 before the tv money but we won 36. We followed that up w the TV money by winning 21 games in 6 years. Tv guy says this shows that w less rv money you won more? What else do u want to say? Gt guy says their are some poorly reason espn articles. Tv guy says please go thru the door w E and 3 covered letters. Gt goes out and finds he is in an alley w door locked behind him and there is the confused guys from the PAC left over conference. Gt guys joins in the chant - wish we could all get along"

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well I don't know about the ACC but I do know, I would have felt better.
This is the truth. We better be brutal about winning now.
Aw shucks the boys tried hard aint going to cut it.

Getting the team playing good solid football by uga is critical to our future.

Lets go jackets - i think Key can get this wrek going!

See u guys after Wake Forest

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I dont owe the shaft gt professors for making me resourceful. I was always that way. I found that by adding superior effort i made top grades. The hill did not care.

Now the Hill cares that no one stops paying full tuition. Grade inflation, tuturing paid for by likely hire mega corporations , vastly increased foreign students ( many have been in college in home country) , etc have maxed out revenue .
Are the students w top grades less resourceful or hard working?

Bell curves was 2 A s, 2 Fs big group of Cs. NO BODY MADE DEANS LIST

Now is 2 4.0, 2 2.5 and big group of 3.2. NOW MOST GET ON DEANS LIST

WE HAVE GREAT STUDENTS LIKE ALWAYS
Is that Duke? Is that what we have become?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You don't care that Army goes to the AAC, and probably most P5 fans...but there's a whole other world out there, my friend.
No, my friend, they don’t. There’s no one willing to pay to watch service academy sports. If there is, monetize it and show me. But you can’t.