Conference Realignment

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Think I covered most of your why it will not happen and either I did not spell it out enough ( my post are already too long) or you did not comprehend it or you did not read it all, not sure what happened, but whatever I don't care to go on and on and on if you don't get it that's your problem. Certainly I could be wrong, I've never been the gospel about anything, but I do see it having good possibilities. IMO the metro areas probably don't need the really large stadiums like the more rural areas because in the more rural areas it is the "only game in town" so to speak. Lived in razorback land when Broyles was being successful and it was everything to that population.
A 40-45K high end stadium would help. We have a very old crappy stadium by modern Urban standards.

We have a disinterested student base compared to most other Universities.

UGA has a huge strong fan base in Metro Atlanta. That isn’t changing.

Winning clearly would help. We need to win big in football. We haven’t come close in a decade. That is a lot of lost fans as a result.

The current Wild West that college sports are makes the future very uncertain. Uncertainty has never been good for GT athletics.

We are digging out of a huge hole with very little help from anyone.

I hope you are correct but I believe the odds are very low you are correct.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for sharing this. I don't usually pay much attention to these sessions, but this one may be one of the more interesting in recent years.

I have attached a pretty good article by Andrea Adelson of ESPN concerning the ACC Spring meeting. First thing I noticed was that FSU and Clemson are in attendance! Andrea covers some FSU fan comments and an up-date of the lawsuits. She reveals that FSU and Clemson have been involved in zoom calls and other communications since the Lawsuits were filed.

Attachments

• How will the ACC navigate its uncertain future_.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks like SEC is moving north of OU and west of Missouri to get Kansas. Firm up area below Nebraska.

Attached is an article about the Kansas Talk.

Attachments

• Kansas fans abuzz over talk of possible invite from the SEC _ Kansas City Star.pdf
    288.2 KB · Views: 52

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a very interesting article in Sports Illustrative by Pat Forde about Jim Phillips and the ACC situation. The article is titled "ACC at a Crossroads: Jim Phillips Facing External and Internal Threats to League's Survival". I have tried to attach, but it is too large, 22 or 23 pages. I tried to link, however I failed. I believe our members would really enjoy this article if some of our skilled members could link.

Pat Forde was the first Paul Finebaum (SEC Network) guest today to discuss the article. Pat's major point taken from the article was that Jim Phillips is a Nice, Christain, Ethical man, but in the wrong place at the wrong time. He mentioned how this job is for a very aggressive person. I know several of our members feel the same.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
are they not locked into a GOR?
Yes they are, until 2030-31.

The article that @LT 1967 linked quotes a podcast by a guy whose credibility was bolstered by apparently calling the USC/UCLA to the BIG10 move in 2022 before any major outlets had the story. But the guy states on his podcast that the Kansas story is based on several dominoes needing to fall first, and admits it's pure speculation. In other words, clickbait. So you be the judge.

Unfortunately, this is the way a lot of misinformation spreads nowadays. Usually starts with speculation, or in some cases deliberate disinformation, gets to trending, then gets picked up by a legit source making it seem credible, etc., etc. I'll get down from my soapbox now.

Last edited:

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
This G5 mindset is exactly what is wrong with our GT fanbase. We need to engage the politicking machine to demand, publicly, that UGA supports us for SEC admission similar to what Virginia and North Carolina is doing for UVA, VT, UNC and NCSU, respectively. If Tech ends up in what would be a watered down ACC it will be the death of the program. That death could be literal or figurative.
“Demand that UGA supports us for SEC admission”? What leverage do we have to demand anything?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There is a very interesting article in Sports Illustrative by Pat Forde about Jim Phillips and the ACC situation. The article is titled "ACC at a Crossroads: Jim Phillips Facing External and Internal Threats to League's Survival". I have tried to attach, but it is too large, 22 or 23 pages. I tried to link, however I failed. I believe our members would really enjoy this article if some of our skilled members could link.

Pat Forde was the first Paul Finebaum (SEC Network) guest today to discuss the article. Pat's major point taken from the article was that Jim Phillips is a Nice, Christain, Ethical man, but in the wrong place at the wrong time. He mentioned how this job is for a very aggressive person. I know several of our members feel the same.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I may be misremembering, but I think the Big 12's GOR is pretty easy to break. Either that or the conference exit fee is very small.

I don't think this is true.
Neither TX nor OK tried to challenge the B12 GOR when they got the SEC bid. They both timed their exits to be when the GOT expired and then the B12 was willing to negotiate the last year where each payed to leave 1 yr early.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
UNC and UVA are among the deepest of blue ACC. They are the hub of the wheel. If they leave the wheels could come off. Being mentioned by a bunch of sportswriters does not equal reality. I’m very doubtful that they value football that much to destroy the decades of value the ACC has been to them. But… I may be wrong. We will see in time.
Just coming back to this as the UNC trustees have voted this week to audit the Athletic Department and are meeting this week to discuss financials. More info here:

A select quote from one of the trustees who used to be the chairman:
Boliek said he wants UNC to join a higher-revenue league.

"I am advocating for that," he said. "That's what we need to do. We need to do everything we can to get there. Or the alternative is the ACC is going to have to reconstruct itself. I think all options are on the table."

UNC is certainly not as dedicated to the ACC as some think. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the next to take legal action.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I don't think this is true.
Neither TX nor OK tried to challenge the B12 GOR when they got the SEC bid. They both timed their exits to be when the GOT expired and then the B12 was willing to negotiate the last year where each payed to leave 1 yr early.
I looked it up, it was the conference exit fee, which is only 2 years of revenue for that team, which I think would be around $80-90 million. Compare to the ACC which is 3 times operating budget for the conference, around $140 million.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

It certainly confirms a bias but I’ll wait for more evidence. Anyone else have information?

Feel free to share any nuggets you got from the article.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes they are, until 2030-31.

The article that @LT 1967 linked quotes a podcast by a guy whose credibility was bolstered by apparently calling the USC/UCLA to the BIG10 move in 2022 before any major outlets had the story. But the guy states on his podcast that the Kansas story is based on several dominoes needing to fall first, and admits it's pure speculation. In other words, clickbait. So you be the judge.

Unfortunately, this is the way a lot of misinformation spreads nowadays. Usually starts with speculation, or in some cases deliberate disinformation, gets to trending, then gets picked up by a legit source making it seem credible, etc., etc. I'll get down from my soapbox now.
It's ALL clickbait right now. There are daily interviews and speculation of who is going where by all these goobers in YouTube just saying the same thing over and over for view hits.
It IS entertaining, though. Sometimes they throw in a wild card to start talking about for ni real good reason other than to change it up - aka Kansas.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Thanks for Linking the Article. I watched a large part of the ACC PM show today.

A couple of things that I noticed that the Swarm may be interested in.

Brent Key will be interviewed. He was shown as the last coach to be interviewed. Not sure if that will be tomorrow or Wednesday.

Charlie Backer (President of the NCAA) made a presentation to the members. No info was revealed concerning his comments.

Much of the discussion revolved around the National Perception of the ACC. I thought Jeff Capel made some pretty good comments concerning Basketball. His main thought was that the
ACC needs to ACT to make changes that will improve the image. One of those changes may be to reduce Conference Basketball games from 20 to 18.

As Mark Packer said in conclusion concerning Football, just win the important out of conference games. Plus, we need someone other than FSU and Clemson to win some of those games.

Just some general thoughts from the show.