Conference Realignment

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Financially, it’s never been healthier. Viewership is increasing, not decreasing. It’s media now, not “attendance”.
And yet ESPN had a huge drop in profit last year, had to cut talent and announced today a 65 million dollar loss on ESPN+. ESPN is overpaying for college football content, among other things while their subscriber numbers continue to drop. The money is not going to endlessly go up. The latest SEC deal is probably the last golden goose deal we will see from ESPN.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
nfl = has gone thru chaos
They are back to recruiting fans.
We are in chaos - with 2 good leagues - not logical

In future CFB will get past the chaos and have "new college presidents " that act like college football is a very good thing for their college.

Angel is our first president that acts like an owner.

Speaking of getting past the Chaos, see the attached AP article by Ralph Russo concerning a new bill introduced in the House. If I understand, the bill will protect the NCAA from legal action and allow NCAA to establish rules concerning NIL and Transfer Portal. Perhaps this will allow the NCAA to establish some rules that would level the playing field concerning NIL??

Attachments

• Republican congressmen introduce bill that would protect NCAA and conferences from legal attacks.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Perhaps this will allow the NCAA to establish some rules that would level the playing field concerning NIL??
They’ll probably just start trying to take cuts of NIL money since it’s somewhat their product lol

Jokingly typing this but the reality of that potentially being conceived came over me with a wave of sadness

With all this money being throw around now, NCAA could totally turn into the NFL and just start raking in cash (even more than they already do) on fines, cuts and media

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You're right, the vibe would be soo much better playing teams like Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, and Rutgers.
Well, to be fair, it would be better at first. I’ve never watched any of those teams play in person so there would be novelty at least.

Duke is just Duke. Beating them is no fun because we’d rather beat Clemson or uga. Losing to them is horrible because we should be better than them. I’m not sure where my ambivalence comes from but I’d rather play almost anyone than Duke.

Not proud of that feeling, just being honest.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Well, to be fair, it would be better at first. I’ve never watched any of those teams play in person so there would be novelty at least.

Duke is just Duke. Beating them is no fun because we’d rather beat Clemson or uga. Losing to them is horrible because we should be better than them. I’m not sure where my ambivalence comes from but I’d rather play almost anyone than Duke.

Not proud of that feeling, just being honest.
Sure I get that, but it's not like this is some horrible new fate, we've always played Duke. And I at least know a decent number of Duke alums/fans I can talk crap to. I've never met anyone who attended or was a fan of those 4 Big 10 schools, so playing them is about as interesting to me as playing Fresno State in the Avocados from Mexico Cure Bowl.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You're right, the vibe would be soo much better playing teams like Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, and Rutgers.
We bolster our arguments with the cherrypicked dogs. Anyone else remember rockin’ games with Clemson (any year), Maryland (2006), UNC (2007 and 2009), NCSU (2005), VA Tech (2004, 2009, 2011), Miami (2006, 2008), FSU (any year), and Notre Dame (2006 especially)? Who can become the next Maryland? Louisville, maybe? SMU? From an attendance standpoint, the best of those games was when we had a good team with high expectations. See 2006 above? That was a 9-win season. Expectations were high.

The thought that it is about TV may be true, but that is about the marketing and hype surrounding teams than their actual quality.

Hype the ACC like the SECheat and see what happens. Bama was the SEC’s lone rep in the CFP for several years, yet the conference was great!!! Clemson was the ACC’s lone rep for several years and the conference sucked. The disparity is astounding, and so many just shrug. Not counting UGA, GA Tech, for all its ups and downs over the years has a record against the SECheat of 10-6 since 2000.

Vandy: 4-0
Kentucky: 1-0
Miss State: 3-0
Auburn: 2-0
Ole Miss: 0-3
LSU: 0-2
UT: 0-1
UGA: 3-20 (this is so sick)

With respect to GA Tech, it is the UGA game that defines the ACC vs. the SECheat. It is a sad record to be sure. Why should that one game define the two conferences? Clemson is 15-8 against USCe over that time. F$u is 12-11 vs. UF. Louisville is 12-11 against UK.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sure I get that, but it's not like this is some horrible new fate, we've always played Duke. And I at least know a decent number of Duke alums/fans I can talk crap to. I've never met anyone who attended or was a fan of those 4 Big 10 schools, so playing them is about as interesting to me as playing Fresno State in the Avocados from Mexico Cure Bowl.
I don’t begrudge anyone enjoying playing Duke. That’s a good thing. It’s clearly my issue.

I just don’t think trading them for a new set of conference rivals would cause that much of a loss of interest. Would local Illinois fans in the stadium, for instance, more than make up for losing Duke in terms of numbers and enthusiasm? Maybe. But what about Wisconsin or Ohio State? Oh baby.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I don’t begrudge anyone enjoying playing Duke. That’s a good thing. It’s clearly my issue.

I just don’t think trading them for a new set of conference rivals would cause that much of a loss of interest. Would local Illinois fans in the stadium, for instance, more than make up for losing Duke in terms of numbers and enthusiasm? Maybe. But what about Wisconsin or Ohio State? Oh baby.
Meh, I get it would be good for revenue and put more butts in seats, but I still don't really care about playing Wisconsin or Ohio State. What does Tech have in common with either of those schools? Ohio State is just ugag of the midwest.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And yet ESPN had a huge drop in profit last year, had to cut talent and announced today a 65 million dollar loss on ESPN+. ESPN is overpaying for college football content, among other things while their subscriber numbers continue to drop. The money is not going to endlessly go up. The latest SEC deal is probably the last golden goose deal we will see from ESPN.
Again, if you follow what the SEC is doing, they have openly described how they intend to package content and bid it out to multiple partners … Fox, ESPN, CBS, etc. Each one will pay less, but the collective will be more. But first, they have to get marketable content … hence, realignment. I wouldn’t bet the farm on what ESPN is doing. They will ultimately be a player, but not the sole player.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Meh, I get it would be good for revenue and put more butts in seats, but I still don't really care about playing Wisconsin or Ohio State. What does Tech have in common with either of those schools? Ohio State is just ugag of the midwest.
We are much more like Duke, UVA, Wake, UNC, NCSU etc in academics, size and geography than OSU. Michigan, Indiana, Nebraska and Wisconsin. Granted FSU and Clemson are fringe academically but are geographically nearby.
B1G games would be a novelty at first but not natural rivals.
I now really despise FSU and never liked Clemson. Now I just loathe them. Passion is what drives interest. I remember many years ago we played Boston College who was not in the ACC. Ken Swilling played then. I could have cared less other than I wanted to win. Just another OOC game. They brought no fans (still don't I suspect) but now a win counts toward a championship and we have history against them. Syracuse and BC are examples of what we will get in the B1G. I would never travel to see those away games. TV only.
B1G is only a money grab. If we changed conferences, the SEC makes sense for us geographically and historically. Away games are more accessible and we would get more attendance from our opponents. Problem remains that SEC has likely shut the door on us. Atlanta used to be a destination for SEC fans to attend GT games and enjoy the city. Would B1G fans care about Atlanta?

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
Can the ACC poach a team from the "Power 4"? Once you're done laughing, which group of 5 teams will they backfill the conference with when the inevitable next round of realignment happens?

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
Looks like you have Clemson, F$u, UNC, NCSU, UVA, and VPI all leaving. That’s 6 teams. Where will they all go?

The SEC will have 16 teams and the B1G will have 18 teams in 2024. Would they both go to 20? Would the SEC sit idly by and allow the B1G to scoop up two or more of those teams and claim a major stake in southern football? How would those conferences offset the missing media rights for so many and still maintain current per team payouts?

Finally, would the ACC add any schools, or would they keep those 6 programs’ media rights and divide it among 6 fewer schools? Irony of ironies… could the ACC schools end up making more in that scenario? At ~$40M per school that’s an additional $240M to be divided now among 11 programs, or over $20M per school more.
My guess is that NC State and VPI are stuck with us in the remainder of the ACC. I think that Clemson & FSU certainly are leaving into the P2. Not as sure on UNC & UVA. But I think UNC will be welcomed by the P2 if they want to leave, and might drag UVA along with them. Really, beyond Clemson & FSU leaving, which is almost a certainty at this point, the rest of it is much less certain.
Great! Let’s play and lose and make a LOT of money. Three cheers for Tech football! We’re relevant, baby!
The thing about that game that still angers me is how we gave it away. We were better than UT that night, and they couldn't stop our running attack. But we made just enough mistakes to lose it. Uggh.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We are much more like Duke, UVA, Wake, UNC, NCSU etc in academics, size and geography than OSU. Michigan, Indiana, Nebraska and Wisconsin. Granted FSU and Clemson are fringe academically but are geographically nearby.
B1G games would be a novelty at first but not natural rivals.
I now really despise FSU and never liked Clemson. Now I just loathe them. Passion is what drives interest. I remember many years ago we played Boston College who was not in the ACC. Ken Swilling played then. I could have cared less other than I wanted to win. Just another OOC game. They brought no fans (still don't I suspect) but now a win counts toward a championship and we have history against them. Syracuse and BC are examples of what we will get in the B1G. I would never travel to see those away games. TV only.
B1G is only a money grab. If we changed conferences, the SEC makes sense for us geographically and historically. Away games are more accessible and we would get more attendance from our opponents. Problem remains that SEC has likely shut the door on us. Atlanta used to be a destination for SEC fans to attend GT games and enjoy the city. Would B1G fans care about Atlanta?
Several years ago the VA leg passed a bill (I do not think it was resolution) that required UVA and VT to be in the same conference. I am too busy to verify, but that is my memory. The NC leg is considering a bill to force all the D1 schools in the UNC system to play each other regularly. The BOT passed a "rule" that UNC system schools had to have BOT approval to change conferences. This was a the urging of NC State, so it seems that the BOT will force UNC and NC State to move (or stay) in lock step. Wake and Duke, as private schools, can do as they please regarding invitations to change conferences.

Personally, what I would like is for FSU to end up stranded as an independent without their media rights. I have less feelings about Clemson, but would not shed any tears if the same happened to them. OTOH, I do not think the ACC will kick either out and will try to keep both in the conference. The ACC is much more attractive with them than without. But, I will be shocked if the ACC agrees to negotiate the GOR terms with either school.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Several years ago the VA leg passed a bill (I do not think it was resolution) that required UVA and VT to be in the same conference. I am too busy to verify, but that is my memory. The NC leg is considering a bill to force all the D1 schools in the UNC system to play each other regularly. The BOT passed a "rule" that UNC system schools had to have BOT approval to change conferences. This was a the urging of NC State, so it seems that the BOT will force UNC and NC State to move (or stay) in lock step. Wake and Duke, as private schools, can do as they please regarding invitations to change conferences.

Personally, what I would like is for FSU to end up stranded as an independent without their media rights. I have less feelings about Clemson, but would not shed any tears if the same happened to them. OTOH, I do not think the ACC will kick either out and will try to keep both in the conference. The ACC is much more attractive with them than without. But, I will be shocked if the ACC agrees to negotiate the GOR terms with either school.
My understanding is that the ESPN has already told the SEC there is no more money if they add more games … so that means new members = dilution. If so, can’t see that as a path. Clemson is well liked, FSU not. I wouldn’t be surprised if FSU gets stuck as an Indy. Pariah.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is odd in all this to me. They are really not a fit for the Big 10 - not a big school, in a low population state, non-AAU. The only thing they really bring to the table is being recently good at football, and prior to about 2015 or so, they were just as mid-pack as most other ACC teams. They fit in the SEC, but as they already have USCe, does the SEC even gain enough by adding them to cover their payout? No new markets for linear tv, so you are pretty much relying solely on Clemson staying really good to help boost advertising dollars.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Again, if you follow what the SEC is doing, they have openly described how they intend to package content and bid it out to multiple partners … Fox, ESPN, CBS, etc. Each one will pay less, but the collective will be more. But first, they have to get marketable content … hence, realignment. I wouldn’t bet the farm on what ESPN is doing. They will ultimately be a player, but not the sole player.
Seems weird then that just a few years ago the SEC signed all of their media rights to ESPN and allowed ESPN to be the sole owners of the SEC network until 2033-2034. The Big 10 will renegotiate their contracts again before then, as will the Big 12 and Notre Dame. The other networks are going to be making big plays at them and the SEC is going to be coming in late with their renewal.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We bolster our arguments with the cherrypicked dogs. Anyone else remember rockin’ games with Clemson (any year), Maryland (2006), UNC (2007 and 2009), NCSU (2005), VA Tech (2004, 2009, 2011), Miami (2006, 2008), FSU (any year), and Notre Dame (2006 especially)? Who can become the next Maryland? Louisville, maybe? SMU? From an attendance standpoint, the best of those games was when we had a good team with high expectations. See 2006 above? That was a 9-win season. Expectations were high.

The thought that it is about TV may be true, but that is about the marketing and hype surrounding teams than their actual quality.

Hype the ACC like the SECheat and see what happens. Bama was the SEC’s lone rep in the CFP for several years, yet the conference was great!!! Clemson was the ACC’s lone rep for several years and the conference sucked. The disparity is astounding, and so many just shrug. Not counting UGA, GA Tech, for all its ups and downs over the years has a record against the SECheat of 10-6 since 2000.

Vandy: 4-0
Kentucky: 1-0
Miss State: 3-0
Auburn: 2-0
Ole Miss: 0-3
LSU: 0-2
UT: 0-1
UGA: 3-20 (this is so sick)

With respect to GA Tech, it is the UGA game that defines the ACC vs. the SECheat. It is a sad record to be sure. Why should that one game define the two conferences? Clemson is 15-8 against USCe over that time. F$u is 12-11 vs. UF. Louisville is 12-11 against UK.
Agree completely and have said for years that the ACC failed at hyping itself the way the SEC does.

FSU, being left out of thevplayoffs, something the committee telegraphed might happen even before the QB injury, tells me the ship has sailed on the ACC being able to hype itself into respectability. We’ve had more than half a century of major PR hype from both the SEC and the B1G. Propaganda works because it’s repetitive and relentless. It usually only gets neutralized when a generation dies off and is replaced by newer generations who weren’t exposed to the propaganda and grow up with a different narrative. No evidence that is going to happen.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Agree completely and have said for years that the ACC failed at hyping itself the way the SEC does.

FSU, being left out of thevplayoffs, something the committee telegraphed might happen even before the QB injury, tells me the ship has sailed on the ACC being able to hype itself into respectability. We’ve had more than half a century of major PR hype from both the SEC and the B1G. Propaganda works because it’s repetitive and relentless. It usually only gets neutralized when a generation dies off and is replaced by newer generations who weren’t exposed to the propaganda and grow up with a different narrative. No evidence that is going to happen.
Agreed. I think after Swofford most of the ACC was hoping we would bring in someone who could put the conference in better light. Jim Phillips has been a total disappointment and imo reminds me of Bobinski - where is he? what is he doing?