Conference Realignment

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I spoke with him during a visit to Raleigh. He was very pro keeping ACC intact and all members treated equally. At least he was at that time last fall and that was prior to expanding the ACC. The AD's seem to be the most motivated to increase their budgets at any cost. Would FSU and Clemson be motivated to leave the ACC if TV revenue was equal to the SEC?
I have no inside info and things may have changed but like you, I am entitled to my opinion.
Change often creates unintended consequences.
Thanks for sharing that with us. If I were the Pres., coach, AD of any one of the schools I would say something just like he said even if I thought differently, at least up to now (obviously I exclude FSU and Clemson ) and would probably continue with that until I knew it was time to make some sort of statement indicating another direction for my school such as FSU, Clemson, even if I held an invite to a power 2. I'm not saying Cabrera holds or does not hold such invite now or then.

Just watching what is going on it is my opinion that things with the ACC are going to change and it feels like we will see that it is going to change before FB season starts. Could I be wrong, absolutely. Do I think we will know how the change all works out by the time FB season starts, I don't have an opinion on that. My hope would be that all or most of the schools have worked that out with the other members of the conference behind the scenes so we do not have to go through what the PAC 12 went through. Maybe Phillips is earning his keep behind the scenes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I said years ago, that once the gap starts to become too big, the bigger marquee teams in the ACC will start to make noises...first it was FSU, then it was Clemson, and now Godfather of the ACC, UNC is starting to make their own noise. All of them consider themselves among the elite of college sports, and the coming revenue chasm between the P2 and everyone else is too much for them to stomach.

UNC was an integral ACC member in persuading GT to turn down the B1G a decade ago. I highly doubt GT will be a factor for UNC when they leave the ACC on their way to either the SEC or B1G. GT and Peterson got worked over so the ACC can leverage the Atlanta media market at the time. UNC has had a standing offer from both conferences for decades. This is why you don't send academics (looking at you former GT President Peterson) to negotiate big business deals...and GT turning down the B1G was a HUGE business deal. You do what's best for the school for the next 50+ years, not how it makes you feel now.

UNC being publicly vocal about the ACC's revenue disparity is the proverbial canary in the coal mine. IMO, the ACC will be unrecognizable in next 3-5 years.

On Day 1 of the meetings, UNC Board of Trustee member Dave Boliek said he was “advocating” for the Tar Heels to join a higher-revenue league like the SEC or Big Ten.

“That’s what we need to do,” Boliek said in a board meeting back in North Carolina. “We need to do everything we can to get there.
Or the alternative is the ACC is going to have to reconstruct itself. I think all options are on the table.”

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This is really one sided in terms of what they wrote.
The NCAA is hoping the plaintiffs accept the settlement. I don’t see a quote from the plaintiffs
The NCAA is hopeful that other plaintiffs will sign on to the settlement.
If other plaintiffs don’t sign on to the settlement, they may lobby for the settlement to be codified into law (and that’s a small part of one paragraph).
There’s no quote from anyone in Congress about anything in this article. If there were anything going on, i would expect to see something from Tuberville or Manchin or Booker or someone. There’s nothing. What in the article gives any indication that Congress is going to do anything, or that they even have a sponsor?

I wouldn’t take this article as evidence that Congress is going to do anything
Is anything I typed false according to the article you posted? It may not be likely, but it was mentioned as a possibility.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I said years ago, that once the gap starts to become too big, the bigger marquee teams in the ACC will start to make noises...first it was FSU, then it was Clemson, and now Godfather of the ACC, UNC is starting to make their own noise. All of them consider themselves among the elite of college sports, and the coming revenue chasm between the P2 and everyone else is too much for them to stomach.

UNC was an integral ACC member in persuading GT to turn down the B1G a decade ago. I highly doubt GT will be a factor for UNC when they leave the ACC on their way to either the SEC or B1G. GT and Peterson got worked over so the ACC can leverage the Atlanta media market at the time. UNC has had a standing offer from both conferences for decades. This is why you don't send academics (looking at you former GT President Peterson) to negotiate big business deals...and GT turning down the B1G was a HUGE business deal. You do what's best for the school for the next 50+ years, not how it makes you feel now.

UNC being publicly vocal about the ACC's revenue disparity is the proverbial canary in the coal mine. IMO, the ACC will be unrecognizable in next 3-5 years.

On Day 1 of the meetings, UNC Board of Trustee member Dave Boliek said he was “advocating” for the Tar Heels to join a higher-revenue league like the SEC or Big Ten.

“That’s what we need to do,” Boliek said in a board meeting back in North Carolina. “We need to do everything we can to get there.
Or the alternative is the ACC is going to have to reconstruct itself. I think all options are on the table.”

IIRC, the UNC board of trustees has no actual authority over UNC. That's the responsibility of the UNC board of governors. That's why Boliek can only advocate for the Tar Heels to do something. This is just political noise making.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, the UNC board of trustees has no actual authority over UNC. That's the responsibility of the UNC board of governors. That's why Boliek can only advocate for the Tar Heels to do something. This is just political noise making.

I think you're interpreting them literally. Boliek's words didn't originate in a vacuum. The words he said most likely came from multiple people, among whom are ones that do have authority.

As I said, we'll see in 3-5 years. I don't anticipate the schools at the ACC meetings this year will be the same after that time span.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think you're interpreting them literally. Boliek's words didn't originate in a vacuum. The words he said most likely came from multiple people, among whom are ones that do have authority.

As I said, we'll see in 3-5 years. I don't anticipate the schools at the ACC meetings this year will be the same after that time span.
Obviously, I have not made an important point. The UNC Board of Trustees is an advisory body only. The UNC Board of Governors is the ruling body. Boliek can say whatever he wants, but it has no impact on the university without the BOG making a decision.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Boliek’s comments underscore the broad concern over college football at some very high levels.
How many conferences/AAs can take a substantial hit on their net financials and continue? Maybe too many colleges are trying to play D1 football and the culling is overdue. That is where the threat lies. Boliek making threatening comments about UNC joining FSU and Clemson is not indicative of anything. The anti-trust case is serious.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
How many conferences/AAs can take a substantial hit on their net financials and continue? Maybe too many colleges are trying to play D1 football and the culling is overdue. That is where the threat lies. Boliek making threatening comments about UNC joining FSU and Clemson is not indicative of anything. The anti-trust case is serious.
This is very valid point and it’s where I am concerned as well. If the NCAA has to pay out, how does that payout affect schools down the line? The bottom half of D1 probably constitutes less than a 5% of the issue (totally made up statistic for illustrative purposes). The top 30-40 programs constitute 90%+ of it (again, TMUSFIP). D2 likely has no skin the game at all… yet, they are all NCAA members. I would hope the hit to NCAA payouts considers the role played by each institution but I doubt it will. I would not be surprised to see a culling of the herd as a result… not that I think it’s right.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

I am traveling with a UNC grad this week. He said UNC AD reported a $24M budget deficit to BOT. First I had heard of it. May be a reason they are looking for more TV revenue. They have a lot of non revenue sports.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC should have added Texas 10 years before the SEC. The ACC should have "merged" with the PAC-12 5 years before the B1G took anything of value from them. Hell, the ACC should have grabbed Penn State way back when they got Florida State. It's never been a forward thinking conference. Notre Dame is the only thing left that can save this conference and I'm not even sure that would work. We would need to add them and remove some dead weight too.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The ACC should have added Texas 10 years before the SEC. The ACC should have "merged" with the PAC-12 5 years before the B1G took anything of value from them. Hell, the ACC should have grabbed Penn State way back when they got Florida State. It's never been a forward thinking conference. Notre Dame is the only thing left that can save this conference and I'm not even sure that would work. We would need to add them and remove some dead weight too.
Sadly this seems to be true.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Surely it is indicative of something. Exactly what is debatable. He is a high-level guy. That his thoughts run toward UNC leaving the ACC is sobering. That doesn’t mean they will as the decision is not his, however, his opinion no doubt carries weight. We cannot dismiss that.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Surely it is indicative of something. Exactly what is debatable. He is a high-level guy. That his thoughts run toward UNC leaving the ACC is sobering. That doesn’t mean they will as the decision is not his, however, his opinion no doubt carries weight. We cannot dismiss that.
Boliek is a candidate for a statewide office and is doing whatever he can to get publicity. He is first and foremost a politician.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Obviously, I have not made an important point. The UNC Board of Trustees is an advisory body only. The UNC Board of Governors is the ruling body. Boliek can say whatever he wants, but it has no impact on the university without the BOG making a decision.

No, I fully understood what you said. I'll repeat and add notes so you won't need to interpret what I said:

Boliek's words didn't originate in a vacuum. The words he said most likely came from multiple people (UNC BofT AND UNC BofG), among whom are ones that do have authority (UNC Board of Governors and whoever else will ultimately make the decision to leave the ACC).

Boliek didn't go rogue on UNC and say something he shouldn't have. I'm pretty confident he was just acting as an "emissary" and firing a message to the rest of the ACC on what UNC's intentions are. His words didn't originate with just of the Board of Trustees...I would almost guarantee you it's the same words the Board of Governors would use, as ultimately, the revenue gap of what UNC receives from the ACC and what it could receive from the B1G/SEC will affect the decisions the UNC's BofG will have to make down the road.

UNC's athletic department is VERY similar to athletic departments like UTexas, Ohio State, Michigan, FSU, Florida, etc. Schools that have athletic departments who have an outsized say on what happens at the school. To go against the athletic departments at those schools would be political suicide. Unlike GT, who is more aligned with Ivy Leagues schools in that academics is the sacred cow you don't mess with, and academics rules from the top and the bottom (though that is starting to change with Cabrera).

As I said, we'll see in 3-5 years...I'm confident UNC will be one of the schools walking through the ACC exit door.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
No, I fully understood what you said. I'll repeat and add notes so you won't need to interpret what I said:

Boliek's words didn't originate in a vacuum. The words he said most likely came from multiple people (UNC BofT AND UNC BofG), among whom are ones that do have authority (UNC Board of Governors and whoever else will ultimately make the decision to leave the ACC).

Boliek didn't go rogue on UNC and say something he shouldn't have. I'm pretty confident he was just acting as an "emissary" and firing a message to the rest of the ACC on what UNC's intentions are. His words didn't originate with just of the Board of Trustees...I would almost guarantee you it's the same words the Board of Governors would use, as ultimately, the revenue gap of what UNC receives from the ACC and what it could receive from the B1G/SEC will affect the decisions the UNC's BofG will have to make down the road.

UNC's athletic department is VERY similar to athletic departments like UTexas, Ohio State, Michigan, FSU, Florida, etc. Schools that have athletic departments who have an outsized say on what happens at the school. To go against the athletic departments at those schools would be political suicide. Unlike GT, who is more aligned with Ivy Leagues schools in that academics is the sacred cow you don't mess with, and academics rules from the top and the bottom (though that is starting to change with Cabrera).

As I said, we'll see in 3-5 years...I'm confident UNC will be one of the schools walking through the ACC exit door.
I was under the impression that the board has held the position that UNC and UNCS are unseperable/ and should one go the other must join them. No?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
It's hard for me not to see this whole thing with UNC as their fault, like a guy who craps his pants and wants a new pair, but everyone around them is going to be stuck dealing with the smell.

Their people mismanaged their money and put them in this deficit, their people mismanaged the conference and put it in the hole it's in.