Conference Realignment

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
One other way would be to reduce the permanent teams to two. If GT played Clemson and Louisville as permanent opponents, you would then rotate 7 teams each year (9 conference games). Using the published opponents for GT in 2024 and 2025, GT schedule would look something like the following:

2024--------------------2025

Clemson(P)-----------Clemson(P)
Louisville(P)-----------Louisville(P)
Stanford---------------CAL
FSU--------------------SMU
NCS--------------------DUKE
PITT--------------------BC
SYR---------------------MIAMI
WF---------------------UNC
VT----------------------UVA

I also read an article in which the AD from Syracuse said, "It could be as simple as dropping from three to two permanent Opponents". Sounds like the conference has been discussing this option.

This will really pin down the GT schedule due to the fact we have UGA every year. That pretty much restricts the GT schedule to 9 ACC teams plus UGA (10 Power 4 teams) If we want 7 home games every year, we will schedule 9 ACC Plus UGA and 2 G5 teams. On the Notre years, we will have 11 Power 4 teams on the schedule Likely only 6 home games in those years.

Pretty Strong!
Unless we do an east coast west coast thing, we should honestly abolish permanent opponents. Let teams that want to play each other set them up as OOC games.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Anybody but Louisville for a permanent opponent.
Why just Lville?
I’d feel the same about Cuse or BC. To a lesser extent, sorta toward Pitt too.
We have a ton of history with so many ACC teams... I would prefer one of them being our permanent rival. I hate that Tobacco Road looks to be well protected as usual (and at the expense of the rest), but my ire is not directed at Lville.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
😡 No

SEC teams NEVER pull for losses out of conference. If you EVER want to break the media narrative that promotes the SEC you’ve got to have conference wins against them.
Agree. FSU has 8 opportunities to lose in ACC competition. Hope the Noles loses them all after they whip the crap out of LSU.

GT needs to do our part too. Avenging ourselves at Ole Miss would be a great start.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agree. FSU has 8 opportunities to lose in ACC competition. Hope the Noles loses them all after they whip the crap out of LSU.

GT needs to do our part too. Avenging ourselves at Ole Miss would be a great start.
And, no matter how good SEC teams are, they are ALWAYS overrated by the sports pundits. LSU was ranked number 5 in the nation, for heaven’s sake!

But, yes, hope FSU loses all their ACC games.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
And, no matter how good SEC teams are, they are ALWAYS overrated by the sports pundits. LSU was ranked number 5 in the nation, for heaven’s sake!

But, yes, hope FSU loses all their ACC games.
wouldn't be surprised if instead of noting how the ACC went 2-1 against the SEC in opening weekend and the SEC was 1-3 in P5 OOC GAMES, they'll say something like "This just shows that UNC and FSU belong in the SEC"

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
wouldn't be surprised if instead of noting how the ACC went 2-1 against the SEC in opening weekend and the SEC was 1-3 in P5 OOC GAMES, they'll say something like "This just shows that UNC and FSU belong in the SEC"
Can’t resist repeating myself here. The last time FSU won a natty (beating Auburn) these same pundits said it didn’t count as an acc victory because FSU was really an SEC type of team. Talk about an imperialist ideology!

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Why just Lville?
I’d feel the same about Cuse or BC. To a lesser extent, sorta toward Pitt too.
We have a ton of history with so many ACC teams... I would prefer one of them being our permanent rival. I hate that Tobacco Road looks to be well protected as usual (and at the expense of the rest), but my ire is not directed at Lville.

Totally Agree! The point of my post was that there is a simple way to schedule an odd number of teams(17) and still play every team Home and Away every 4 years. I only picked Louisville as an example. I would prefer the 2nd permanent be someone like VT or Miami. But our experience with the ACC scheduling office shows that is not likely to happen.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
One other way would be to reduce the permanent teams to two. If GT played Clemson and Louisville as permanent opponents, you would then rotate 7 teams each year (9 conference games). Using the published opponents for GT in 2024 and 2025, GT schedule would look something like the following:

2024--------------------2025

Clemson(P)-----------Clemson(P)
Louisville(P)-----------Louisville(P)
Stanford---------------CAL
FSU--------------------SMU
NCS--------------------DUKE
PITT--------------------BC
SYR---------------------MIAMI
WF---------------------UNC
VT----------------------UVA

I also read an article in which the AD from Syracuse said, "It could be as simple as dropping from three to two permanent Opponents". Sounds like the conference has been discussing this option.

This will really pin down the GT schedule due to the fact we have UGA every year. That pretty much restricts the GT schedule to 9 ACC teams plus UGA (10 Power 4 teams) If we want 7 home games every year, we will schedule 9 ACC Plus UGA and 2 G5 teams. On the Notre years, we will have 11 Power 4 teams on the schedule Likely only 6 home games in those years.

Pretty Strong!
Good post and this makes sense. Sure hope we don't get Louisville as a permanent rival.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The article on PF does throw dirt but never offers an alternate plan for acc which has most football teams living off tv money generated by too few schools that are taking actions -striving- not blabbing for winning.

Now with the PAC collapsing the college prez on acc are being forced act.
Also the acc was the last conference to act due to faith in lawyers and contracts. (The big 12 started to learn they need to be in deal making when Texas vetoed u of Houston entry. Then TAM left and the big 12 has been ready to deal).

The pac 12 has a captive west coast market but had greatly under estimated the tv time zone problem. While the folks on Pac can watch at least the start of east and central time zone games, the rest of the country they don't even know the west coast games have started and the game has to be great to stay up that late.

Being forced to act most often leads to very bad results.
We need deal making w big 12 and others to build a COAST to COAST super conference in major tv markets to compete w big 10 / sec - w teams in smaller markets.

The middle of ACC are acting.
At Pittsburgh Aaron Donald donated 10mm$ to a recently started championship fund. NCST is solid w good coach and fund raising and attendance and stadium improvments. Louisville got rid of an embarrassing "win at all cost" coach and hired a proven winner. He is paid twice what we pay our coach is paid. Unfortunately we have been the leader in the blabbing and bottom feeding for a decade. The cheap route of a low paid scheme coach and then a i bring back gt players to coach at gt lead us to what looks like a dead end
Tremndous debt, terrible recors, strife w ex coaches, academic restriictions, end of season 100-0, all red stadium at the uga game,
and tv guys complained about qualityv at accn spring meeting - has forced us to act.
OUR PLAN OF BEING CHEAP WITH COACH PAY AND SUPPORT STAFF IS GRADUALLY GOING AWAY.

To demonstrate to tv guys we aren't great tv market G5 team, we need to plan on paying a great head coach way more by 2025.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Paul Finebaum is an idiot.

Finebaum's constant criticism of the ACC on ESPN tells me that ESPN will be happy to see the ACC fall apart. He continually does this along with the other talking heads on ESPN. I
saw the WF Athletic Director say that we had a great relationship with ESPN. He must not be watching.

ESPN executives have to know that this type of commentary will hurt the perception of the ACC and consequently ACC football recruiting.

It puzzles me that Jim Phillips can't put some pressure on ESPN to stop the gratuitous criticisms that we see constantly on this network. As others have said, the ACC needs to have a forceful PR department to combat some of this derogatory talk.

I don't see ESPN or FOX treating the BIG 12 in this manner.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Finebaum's constant criticism of the ACC on ESPN tells me that ESPN will be happy to see the ACC fall apart. He continually does this along with the other talking heads on ESPN. I
saw the WF Athletic Director say that we had a great relationship with ESPN. He must not be watching.

ESPN executives have to know that this type of commentary will hurt the perception of the ACC and consequently ACC football recruiting.

It puzzles me that Jim Phillips can't put some pressure on ESPN to stop the gratuitous criticisms that we see constantly on this network. As others have said, the ACC needs to have a forceful PR department to combat some of this derogatory talk.

Paul Finebaum was a failing sports writer for the Birmingham, AL paper. He revived his career by turning into a horses butt on local radio. The rest is history.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Totally Agree! The point of my post was that there is a simple way to schedule an odd number of teams(17) and still play every team Home and Away every 4 years. I only picked Louisville as an example. I would prefer the 2nd permanent be someone like VT or Miami. But our experience with the ACC scheduling office shows that is not likely to happen.
Your post made complete sense. Two permanent rivals and 7 rotating is a perfect way of approaching the 17 team conference. And I also know you didn’t select Lville (the ACC already did that).

The next post, which I responded to, singled out Lville as the issue, and I just felt the need to point out that it’s a shame we didn’t keep one of our better rivals as an opponent.... but somebody has to play the new kids!

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Gotta pull for the ACC Teams if the Conference is going to get football respect. UNC’s win over YSC-E was good last night. An FSU win would be huge. Next week Miami hosts Texas A&M. Go ACC.
We agree on this ROOT! LOL. ACC wins against SEC are huge. Big win for FSU AND ACC last night.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Paul Finebaum was a failing sports writer for the Birmingham, AL paper. He revived his career by turning into a horses butt on local radio. The rest is history.
For a failing sports writer he's done pretty well. He almost single handedly kept the Post Herald afloat at a time when the News was dominating the Bham market. I admired his loyalty to that paper.

He is currently a rich man. Failure? Hardly.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I think ESPN loves the attention it gets from the soap opera-esque nature of it. Filling up 24-hours of sports related news isn’t easy and churning up controversy is a bigger ratings driver than running replays of games. Everyone is lapping up this conference realignment stuff... ESPN is happy to keep “reporting” and speculating on it to drive ratings.
ESPN is locked in to an ACC deal. It’s not going anywhere until teams go somewhere else. I don’t think ESPN wants out, either. His comments are silly; if FSU, UNC and Clemson see profits elsewhere, they’re leaving for those profits... just like EVERYONE else has done. The membership of the ACC is irrelevant in that regard.
He’s good at stirring the pot, though...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think ESPN loves the attention it gets from the soap opera-esque nature of it. Filling up 24-hours of sports related news isn’t easy and churning up controversy is a bigger ratings driver than running replays of games. Everyone is lapping up this conference realignment stuff... ESPN is happy to keep “reporting” and speculating on it to drive ratings.
ESPN is locked in to an ACC deal. It’s not going anywhere until teams go somewhere else. I don’t think ESPN wants out, either. His comments are silly; if FSU, UNC and Clemson see profits elsewhere, they’re leaving for those profits... just like EVERYONE else has done. The membership of the ACC is irrelevant in that regard.
He’s good at stirring the pot, though...
He stirred the pot in Bham and that's why he was successful.