Collins report card after 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. I am hoping to see 5-6 wins next year. I think we are close to a tipping point in terms of talent/depth. Our schedule is top heavy with ND, Clemson, and uga, but NIU and Kennesaw St are home games for us as well. We draw BC as the crossover, so with the rest of the Coastal, there are 6-7 "winnable games" next year.
Damn it, are we playing Notre Dame again? What about UNC? Hell, that is probably about 5 losses right there with Miami. Unfortunately, BC looks to be better than what we used to see back when Johnson was coach.

Jolly Good Fellow
Offense: I think we've made huge strides as a whole. multiple 400+ yard games is a significant improvement. Turnovers became a major factor with our QB under stress and throwing sometime bad passes. The run game is in a VERY good spot, imo. I'd say B-, and trending upwards.
Defense: Less of a step up than I was expecting, but still an improvement. Keep in mind, we never played a game with our full depth on DL (Chimedza and Yonjuen(sp?) were out for the year, Clayton injured/reduced playing time, Lee opted out, etc.) LBs were hit and miss, and DBs were not great. I'd give them a C, with plenty to improve on, including a lot of help with recruiting and returning to a normal offseason.
Special Teams: very very very bad. Having like 5 FGs/PATs blocked on the year is a fundamental scheme/planning problem. Returning KOs at all with our lack of consistent execution constantly amazed me in a bad way. Lack of coaching on some punt returns stood out. This should hopefully be an area we can greatly improve on for next year. Grade: D-, Harvin III was a bright, shining star here, though STs have been better in the last 3rd of games.
Other: Penalties stand out as a major weakness of this team. From 3-4 false starts per game to numerous personal fouls, this team was possibly over-juiced. I think with most of the team returning again, and therefore being mostly older next year, we should see an improvement here. D

Overall: C. I think a more typical offseason (spring camp, summer workouts, fall camp with normal practice including actually practicing FGs) will improve a lot of shortcomings and weaknesses, as well as returning a majority of our depth on the DL.

I think that there are no longer any excuses for CGC and the staff after 12/19. Starting with winter conditioning (or spring camp, whenever we are hopefully done with the "new normal") this is fully CGC's team. It may not be all players he recruited, but he knows what he has now and can plan around it. I think 6 wins is the acceptable floor for next season.
"...Defense: Less of a step up than I was expecting, but still an improvement....."

Opp Pts/G: 36.8 (113th of 127)

Are you on medication? ...almost 40 per game is an improvement?

All the arguments on this site about Paul's TO vs Geoff's "what-ever-it-is" and our defense is giving up 40 per game.... Do you folks ever watch, you know, real football?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, now you got me. Of course, I am going to look at it. How much worse could it possibly be? Never mind, I will check it out for myself.
Yeah, I see what you mean but at least there is no Notre Dame to deal with. Just the usual murders' row of Miami, Clemson, UNC, and UGA, along with UCF, Pitt, and FSU. As for Ole Miss, SEC speed notwithstanding I think we will have a good shot at winning that one. Damn, and to think Dodd used to complain about playing Alabama, Tennessee, and UGA right at the end of the season. Of course, the team he hated to play the most was LSU with the noise, being at night, the crazy things that would always seem to happen. When was the last time Tech had a schedule that could be charitably seen as an easy schedule?

Last edited:

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
The true measure of success for a new coach, during a rebuild, is are we seeing progress game to game, season to season? I would say no overall. Could that change? Sure. However, we havent seen much progress in the areas we need to be making strides in, to compete with the big dogs in my opinion. Recruiting may help that with better players over time, but most of that is on the coaches. I do not think CGC has a staff that is built for Xs and Os and long term success. If next year doesn't produce measurable strides in certain areas, offensively and defensively, his seat needs to be warm and he needs to gut the staff and hire better coordinators/position coaches.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I really don’t see the schedule being that big of an issue. I mean, everybody plays a tough schedule if you only look at the best teams they play. The only teams you can say play “easy” schedules are the best teams.

South Carolina plays Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, with a 50/50 chance to play one of Alabama, Auburn, or LSU in addition to those 4 every year.

Auburn plays Georgia, Alabama, and LSU every year

Florida State plays Clemson, Florida, and Miami every year

Michigan State plays Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State every year. Ditto for that entire list playing each other every year, but Michigan even has to play Wisconsin too

Even Georgia has to play Florida and Auburn every year
Tennessee can’t be terrible forever. If/when they figure it out they’ll affect all of the SEC East’s schedule difficulty and Alabama’s

You can look at anyone’s schedule and say it’s top heavy. That’s the nature of sports.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like this is the Braves of 2015-2016. You saw things happening that you liked, but you knew it was a way away form actually happening.

There is a lot I really like about what's going on right now. My wife cried both when David Curry left the field and came back out. That's a team that's bought in. Collins did not oversell where the team is at and has been in places like Alabama which knows how to win.

We have a ways to go. We ahve good players, but they're young. They will get better though. Effort wise, it's 100%. Dumb mistakes wise, they will improve.

Last night, with those stupid calls and bad refs, a lesser team would have folded. I still in my heart of heart thought a miracle was going to happen until the end. But our lines are simply too small, too thin, and too weak right now to win a game like that. But the players and coaches are bought in and know what they have to do. Be patient, be encouraging.

On a side note, I'm going to miss out THICC punter.

oh man the youngsters are posting about the Braves of 2015-16 ?

how about the Braves of 1990 ? They were in the NLCS every year from 1991-1999. God I’m getting old.

anyway, overall CGC gets an incomplete In my book. I think it’s hard to grade a coach until he has his players And I’d say that if there was no offensive transition. There are some things I don't like and some of the selections are off ( not trying FGs in FG situations etc...), I wish he were more open to facts when he is asked about the team. I know players bust their butts trying to get to the goals but reporters and fans should be able to ask factual questions without him getting pissed.

but I do like his intense mindset and this staff recruits well.

he needs more time before the grades go out, especially with this portal stuff now being a factor in building and maintaining a team

Deleted member 2897

Has nothing to do with what I was asking, I was simply trying to figure out who predicted us to go winless.

We’ve been over this several times. Everyone predicted us to finish last. That’s 0 or 1 win. You disputed that’s what people said or meant. You also said you could win 3 games and finish last. I sent you a link to show an example of a 1-win prediction. I also invited you to go back through time and see how many teams finished last in the ACC with 3 wins (none ever have), or even 2 (none ever have). IIWII.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Coach at some point is gonna have to separate friendship with coaches. He's good friends with thacker and coach p, and decide if they are going to get us to that elite status

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Collins is definitely correct on the need to better market the program. My issue with his marketing is that nothing seems original. "Juice" was the popular saying on HBO's Hard Knocks in 2015 with the Texans. "Above the Line" is the name of Urban Meyer's book, also from 2015, and as others have noted, Money Down has been a popular saying for other coaching staffs on 3rd down. It just feels inauthentic to me.
To be clear, Geoff is not a marketing genius. He did hire Jeremy Darlow and J1S Creative ... but you can bet they are selling similar concepts to other teams. That’s what consultants do ... develop, package, and repurpose.

I'll give CGC a solid D through 2 seasons. As a season ticket holder, these last 2 seasons haven't been fun at all. However, I think he deserves through 2022 to get at least 8 wins, but if he can't get at least 6 in 2021, his seat will be getting warm.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We’ve been over this several times. Everyone predicted us to finish last. That’s 0 or 1 win. You disputed that’s what people said or meant. You also said you could win 3 games and finish last. I sent you a link to show an example of a 1-win prediction. I also invited you to go back through time and see how many teams finished last in the ACC with 3 wins (none ever have), or even 2 (none ever have). IIWII.

Gotcha. You were making assumptions that finishing last equalled 0 wins. I also never said you could win three games and finish last. I said you could finish last with 2 wins. What I did say was that EVERYONE I saw had us pegged for two or three wins, not ), as you alluded tot when you said we had three more wins than the experts (plural) predicted for us. I simply asked which expert predicted 0, and you've yet to furnish one.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I heard an interesting story about Lou Holtz. Soon after taking over at South Carolina, he was playing in a celebrity pro-am golf tournament. After a few holes, the pro asked Holtz how South Carolina looked for the upcoming season.

Holtz quipped, “We have a number of fine gentlemen on our our team. And not a single one of them is an athlete. But we’ll fix that.”

Holtz went 0-11 that year. And 8-4 the next.

Can Geoff do that? No. We won’t be 8-4 next year. I do believe that’s our ceiling though.

I also don’t believe Geoff is a “Tech Man”. He’s a Geoff-Man. And when he sees he can make oodles of money at an underperforming SEC school after modest success at Tech ... I think he’ll go.

As to his grade? I would give him a C: Let’s divide that into a) Recruiting players and athletic/academic performance, b) Developing to a scheme, c) Game management and results, d) Football operations, and e) Fundraising.

Recruiting: A (Not perfect, but better than his predecessor)
Development: F (Do we even have a theory of the game?)
Game management: D (Who is is role model here, Butch Jones?)
Football operations: C (He is doing things his way but ... see next)
Fundraising: F (He is pissing over donors who don’t agree with his opinion.)

12 points. That’s a 2.4, C.

Status
Not open for further replies.