Coaching Carousel 9 - People die climbing mountains

slugboy

Staff member
As someone that has an autistic son I can understand that sentiment completely.
The amount of time and money that it takes can feel crushing at times.
My cousin has an autistic son, and we have some local acquaintances. It looks crushing from the outside

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
My cousin has an autistic son, and we have some local acquaintances. It looks crushing from the outside
Our ex-neighbor was raising an autistic son - her older son was a friend of mine's. It was not only a hard scenario to help him everyday but also pretty much a life sentence as he was not going to leave the next. In my mind she was/is a saint.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I keep forgetting that Stanford will be part of the ACC soon...along with Cal and SMU. Guess GT fans will cross paths with this guy soon. His family's story makes me want to root for him as I have a childhood friend who has a son with autism. My friend and his wife has shed those same tears sharing the ups and downs, and the daily struggles of raising a son with autism so I totally empathize with Kyle Smith's emotions talking about his son.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck

Im an adopted fan of Davidson basketball (wife is a grad and we live there) and all I can think is how they gave the job to McKilllop’s son and a potential new A10 entrant has Chris Mack. A school like Davidson could’ve attracted a proven winner but went with sentiment.

When they fire him in a few years, I bet they go after Landry Kosmalski at Swarthmore (if he’s still available). He’s a former player at Davidson and former assistant under McKillop that took his first head coaching job at Swarthmore. They had won something like 3 games in the prior two years, and in 2 seasons he had them winning league championships. They’ve been to 7 straight NCAA tournament and are almost always in the Top 20.

If you haven’t heard of Landry and you’ve read this far in the thread, it’s worth it to see what he’s done. Knows how to recruit to small liberal arts schools.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
High profile hire for SMU. I think it is good that they are trying to hold-up their end of being in the ACC. The commitment is there.
Was the commitment not there when they agreed to take no revenue for multiple years because they're that rich?

This hire is lukewarm at best, hiring someone with middling results, despite highest end talent, trying to get ahead of the reaper. If they wanted to show commitment to winning, you have the oil money bankroll Will Wade.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Was the commitment not there when they agreed to take no revenue for multiple years because they're that rich?

This hire is lukewarm at best, hiring someone with middling results, despite highest end talent, trying to get ahead of the reaper. If they wanted to show commitment to winning, you have the oil money bankroll Will Wade.

Well, @MtnWaHow's partly right. This is a 'name' they can sell at the press conference atleast.
How can he coach Siena and run drugs for Diddy at the same time?

Fixed? Oh nah, we all agreed that's actually @CuseJacket who's not been seen since the arrest.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck

Meh. The money will show in how they recruit and retain talent.

And I don't agree about Enfield. He held on to that So. Cal job for11 years. In the last seven years he had them finish either 2nd or 3rd in conference in 5 of the seven, and made the NCAAT 5 times.

That is a good get for a school like SMU.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Meh. The money will show in how they recruit and retain talent.

And I don't agree about Enfield. He held on to that So. Cal job for11 years. In the last seven years he had them finish either 2nd or 3rd in conference in 5 of the seven, and made the NCAAT 5 times.

That is a good get for a school like SMU.
Made it past the 1st weekend once.

Basically a .500 conference record.

Absolutely floundered this year in a weak Pac-12 with plenty of talent on his squad.

Great get!

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Wut?!! Man time flies. I remember his NCAAT run with Florida Gulf Coast and all the cameras going bonkers because of his wife...seems like just a few years ago.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Made it past the 1st weekend once.

Basically a .500 conference record.

Absolutely floundered this year in a weak Pac-12 with plenty of talent on his squad.

Great get!
Is that the new math? He was 220-147 at So. Cal (.599), uh, 73 game above .500. That includes his first two seasons where he lost 20 games each. So, he was 187 -106 in his last 8 seasons (.638). Last year was a down year for his squad, but that is on the heels of three consecutive tournament appearances.

You and I differ on the what money alone can buy.

We'll see.