Coaching Carousel 9 - People die climbing mountains

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to read into your post anything that you didn't mean but am I correct in thinking that you are implicitly stating that singularity has, in fact, been reached??? If so, I am a bit disappointed in that I thought it would look and feel different than this.

Whether you believe we've achieved singularity, or don't believe we've achieved singularity, you're right.

This simulation is what you make of it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I have a little inside information on Tony as a friend of mine does some financial business with him. I think it is safe to say he is "old school" and not a huge fan of the NIL and instant transfer portal now the norm in college basketball. I don't have any info beyond that but it doesn't surprise me that there are some rumors of him thinking about retirement. He has already seen Roy and K leave in part for the same reasons. I hope he doesn't leave as he is a really good college coach but it wouldn't shock me.

From the "football" side, but apropos here to me, some of why Saban retired.
"and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban recounted. "Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.

"So I'm saying to myself, 'Maybe this doesn't work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it's all about how much money can I make as a college player?' I'm not saying that's bad. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that's never been what we were all about, and it's not why we had success through the years."

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
From the "football" side, but apropos here to me, some of why Saban retired.
"and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban recounted. "Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.

"So I'm saying to myself, 'Maybe this doesn't work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it's all about how much money can I make as a college player?' I'm not saying that's bad. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that's never been what we were all about, and it's not why we had success through the years."
As we have seen the very best from the past generation are retiring in basketball and football. Now none are close to being young men but Saban's statement makes sense.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Whether you believe we've achieved singularity, or don't believe we've achieved singularity, you're right.

This simulation is what you make of it.
Season 2 Episode 6 GIF by Paramount+

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I do not know anything about this guy but I have always been fascinated by people who can work the same job (ANY job) for 30+ years. That mindset is hard for me to understand. Even if you do the exact same thing, I think changing locales/schools/companies would be important to maintain enthusiasm. OTOH, I have been married to the same woman for 40+ years and I know others find that difficult to understand as well.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do not know anything about this guy but I have always been fascinated by people who can work the same job (ANY job) for 30+ years. That mindset is hard for me to understand. Even if you do the exact same thing, I think changing locales/schools/companies would be important to maintain enthusiasm. OTOH, I have been married to the same woman for 40+ years and I know others find that difficult to understand as well.
I worked at BellSouth and AT&T for 30 years. Of course, I started as young college grad and worked my way up. Not the same job.