Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Even with that being said I still can’t figure why GT is lacking for $$ to this degree , (if the rumors are true) , & don’t blame it all on Braine cause pastner shouldn’t have gotten jack crap after taking us to the NIT tourney

out of about 140k living alums, only about 7k (5%) give to athletics, as opposed to close to 40k giving to the school.

it’s not that GT folks aren’t generous, they just aren’t giving to athletics, and the GTAA has done a terrible job of reaching out.

slugboy

Staff member
I get the impression that Beilein already has a deal set up, and that’s why he’s leaving Cleveland now. Just reading tea leaves, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I get the impression that Beilein already has a deal set up, and that’s why he’s leaving Cleveland now. Just reading tea leaves, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see those leaves. His tenure in Cleveland was a disaster and he was forced out quickly.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Kinda seems like, even if he doesn't have a job lined up, he's well aware that he has good options to choose from.

But I think he was leaving either way. I think there was a report that his son's firing weighed heavily on him. Bolting back to college, where he has full(er) autonomy would allow him to give sonny-boy a cushy landing spot and not wrinkle too many noses.

He was on thin ice in CLE as it was. If he would've tried to bring his son in, he would've faced a full-on mutiny.

This was a horrendous hire by the CLE GM. He should be on the hotseat as well.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If so, the only job that can pay him what he’d probably want would be Texas. Just a guess

It's really funny how so many of us would happily take TX's coach (shiii, I would) even though it would be a Pastner-like situation where that fanbase would be happy to see him go.

Also funny how bad Miller's time has been at Indiana. He was such a hot commodity a few years ago. I was never convinced. They should give him time though, at least. Still early.

I was shocked ... welll not that shocked, to see how well Grant is doing at Dayton. Should have never taken that no-where Bama job. I expect to see the same dip 'n bump for Oats' profile once he leaves Bama in a couple years.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
It's really funny how so many of us would happily take TX's coach (shiii, I would) even though it would be a Pastner-like situation where that fanbase would be happy to see him go.

Also funny how bad Miller's time has been at Indiana. He was such a hot commodity a few years ago. I was never convinced. They should give him time though, at least. Still early.

I was shocked ... welll not that shocked, to see how well Grant is doing at Dayton. Should have never taken that no-where Bama job. I expect to see the same dip 'n bump for Oats' profile once he leaves Bama in a couple years.
I’m still big on Shaka actually and I’d be all in on Anthony Grant. I 100% see the JP comparisons with Shaka though. Might be a hard sell hiring a 3 straight coach that a fanbase is happy to run off.
If and when the time comes I think Tech fans need to be realistic on who we can get. We’re not in the best spot financially, the locker rooms are a joke and the scholarship issue is huge too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’m still big on Shaka actually and I’d be all in on Anthony Grant. I 100% see the JP comparisons with Shaka though. Might be a hard sell hiring a 3 straight coach that a fanbase is happy to run off.
If and when the time comes I think Tech fans need to be realistic on who we can get. We’re not in the best spot financially, the locker rooms are a joke and the scholarship issue is huge too.

Man, I wish y'all could see my face when I saw we hired Brian Gregory. I was incredulous. Then I saw the other dudes they were supposedly considering and .... yikes on yikes on yikes.

Let's just hope we get our hou$e in order, then truly invest in cbb. Does that include Pastner going forward? Maybe. Maaaybe. I kinda doubt it, but maaaybe.

Either way, just truly invest in that program and we're fine. Anything less would be ... uncivilized. :pompous:

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've always ranked Beilein as a top 3-5 coach in college. I also wish he lasted another season in Cleveland, but it'd be great if there was a big enough donor out there that is also a Beilein fan.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Man, I wish y'all could see my face when I saw we hired Brian Gregory. I was incredulous. Then I saw the other dudes they were supposedly considering and .... yikes on yikes on yikes.

Let's just hope we get our hou$e in order, then truly invest in cbb. Does that include Pastner going forward? Maybe. Maaaybe. I kinda doubt it, but maaaybe.

Either way, just truly invest in that program and we're fine. Anything less would be ... uncivilized. :pompous:
Gregory I feel bad for. Let him dozens of times in East Lansing. Great great guy. He was at one point suppose to be Izzo’s successor. Tom had a hand in pushing him to GT. Unfortunately Izzos coaching tree has been less than impressive....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gregory I feel bad for. Let him dozens of times in East Lansing. Great great guy. He was at one point suppose to be Izzo’s successor. Tom had a hand in pushing him to GT. Unfortunately Izzos coaching tree has been less than impressive....

Yeah. Absolutely nothing good comes out of the state of Michigan, amirite? :smuggrin:

Seriously though, not many coaching "trees" are bearing sweet, supple fruit.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't Smart, technically, from Anthony Grant's "tree"?

Not sure how that works.
And Grant came from Billy Donovan's tree.
Who came from Rick Pitino's tree.
Who came from... Jim Boeheim's tree.

The road ends there. That's how it works.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
.... we need a 'dislike' button.

:shifty:
upload_2020-2-19_15-35-40.png

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Shaka is primarily from Oliver Purnell's tree. Only spent one year with Donovan before VCU hired him.

Wonder if Clem will be in play for him once he *ahem* "leaves" Texas.

You still follow VCU at all? Speaking of Virginia, I peek in on Richmond every once in a while to laugh at them and their lifetime contract coach. Having a good year this year. Just took like 10 years to do it. Heh

If you don't get help at Charter ... get help somewhere.