Coach Paul Johnson Tears Into Geoff Collins

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The thing I dislike most about CPJ, which most of you will likely disagree with, is the way he talks like GT never won a game before he showed up - "they act like they used to win before we showed up". TFG was a jerk, but I have never gotten the impression that CPJ bleeds white and gold.

And, he had some stinker years too. On the whole good, with good highs, but some big lows too.

WE all know that TFG dethroned B*** L***** as worst coach ever, but he is gone. Look ahead, not back.

One, that’s exactly what Collins did. Of course, CPJ would defend himself, his coaches and his players. Two, In the same interview he talks positively of Gailey. CPJ has said time and time again that we accomplished a lot of things under him that we hadn’t since the 1950s. That’s not wrong. Also, look at the context when those comments were always brought up. They were always brought up when his offensive philosophy and program was in question. He wasn’t just going around saying that offhand all the time.

I still don’t think some of y’all realize how much Collins’ actions turned off former players of the previous regime. There are prominent names that have directly told me that they distanced themselves from the program because Collins made it clear they weren’t welcome. Stories that aren’t too far off from CPJ’s story in this interview.

The spring game formation was an easy publicity stunt. His overall actions and words speak louder. Collins was an absolute cancer to this program.

Also, for what it’s worth, Key did talk about how Atlanta is easier to recruit than Tuscaloosa and most of us all thought it was cringey then. He’s never said anything like that as the HC, so I feel that was following the example of his HC at the time who was all about marketing statements over actual play on the field.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
One, that’s exactly what Collins did. Of course, CPJ would defend himself, his coaches and his players. Two, In the same interview he talks positively of Gailey. CPJ has said time and time again that we accomplished a lot of things under him that we hadn’t since the 1950s. That’s not wrong. Also, look at the context when those comments were always brought up. They were always brought up when his offensive philosophy and program was in question. He wasn’t just going around saying that offhand all the time.

I still don’t think some of y’all realize how much Collins’ actions turned off former players of the previous regime. There are prominent names that have directly told me that they distanced themselves from the program because Collins made it clear they weren’t welcome. Stories that aren’t too far off from CPJ’s story in this interview.

The spring game formation was an easy publicity stunt. His overall actions and words speak louder. Collins was an absolute cancer to this program.

Also, for what it’s worth, Key did talk about how Atlanta is easier to recruit than Tuscaloosa and most of us all thought it was cringey then. He’s never said anything like that as the HC, so I feel that was following the example of his HC at the time who was all about marketing statements over actual play on the field.

Also, in defense of Key's remarks back then about haven't recruited against GT in a long time. I think that was more of a dig at our Admin (read: resources) than at CPJ.

BUT, I get both sides on that and how it could've rubbed CPJ wrong.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm fine with everything CPJ is saying as best I can tell. There is one thing I totally disagree about and would think is an absolute no, no and that is going into the succeeding coaches players locker room and messing with the players in whatever fashion he might be doing so. I could not believe he wanted to do that. Everything about that seems wrong to me no matter what the other coach might be saying. If he truly cared about GT hard for me to believe he would consider doing that. If the succeeding coach ask you to come in then that is fine.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I'm fine with everything CPJ is saying as best I can tell. There is one thing I totally disagree about and would think is an absolute no, no and that is going into the succeeding coaches players locker room and messing with the players in whatever fashion he might be doing so. I could not believe he wanted to do that. Everything about that seems wrong to me no matter what the other coach might be saying. If he truly cared about GT hard for me to believe he would consider doing that. If the succeeding coach ask you to come in then that is fine.
He was passing through and wanted to say hi. I don’t think he was “messing.” But he didn’t talk about why.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ provided the best football years I’ve known as a tech fan. I was 6 when Dodd retired and it was just generally a lot of frustration w/ an occasional highlight before CPJ. It wasn’t just that he won, it was how he won. I’ll forever be grateful!

Edit: would be remiss to leave out the Bobby Ross years. Of course they were great!

Last edited:

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean this is literally what Collins pushed about CPJs tenure. So you don't expect CPJ to defend his years?
We won a few games before cpj showed up, and he was saying this early on in his tenure about gt prior to his arrival. Has nothing to do with boy wonder

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
He was in the training room because he had tweeked his back playing golf.
Being the coach for 11 years, winning a NY6 bowl grants him special privileges. He wasn't going to under cut TFG, just needed a stretch and some treatment on his back. He should've been one of our best ambassadors, but unfortunately there was a huge gap.

CPJ didn't want an office I'm the stadium, like Saban, he just wanted to be able to hang around because he was a coach for 40 years. Some have thun skin I guess and their bosses have no balls.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He was in the training room because he had tweeked his back playing golf.
Being the coach for 11 years, winning a NY6 bowl grants him special privileges. He wasn't going to under cut TFG, just needed a stretch and some treatment on his back. He should've been one of our best ambassadors, but unfortunately there was a huge gap.

CPJ didn't want an office I'm the stadium, like Saban, he just wanted to be able to hang around because he was a coach for 40 years. Some have thun skin I guess and their bosses have no balls.

Collins wasn't the primary signature on not letting CPJ have access...TStan had the ultimate say. CPJ alluded to it some and didn't call out Stansbury by name, and that's because they were friendly while CPJ was there, but Stansbury signed off on everything GT did that did that was anti-CPJ under Collins. Stansbury could have easily told Collins to "Cool it...there's a better way".

BTW, Stansbury and some mega donors who wanted CPJ out seem to forget that CPJ did us a favor by retiring and not just going through the motions and looking for a buyout at the end. Some of the big donors seemed to never have forgiven CPJ for thwarting their plans along with Bobinski of getting rid of CPJ...they had to eat a LOT of pride when CPJ had the 2014 season. If you're curious about how the anit-option movement started, look no further than to a group of donors that have an outsize say in our program.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ provided the best football years I’ve known as a tech fan. I was 6 when Dodd retired and it was just generally a lot of frustration w/ an occasional highlight before CPJ. It wasn’t just that he won, it was how he won. I’ll forever be grateful!

Edit: would be remiss to leave out the Bobby Ross years. Of course they were great!
CPJ, slightly better than CCG, not quite as good as CBR or CGO, much better than CGC and CBL. Comparison to CBK still TBD.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
CPJ, slightly better than CCG, not quite as good as CBR or CGO, much better than CGC and CBL. Comparison to CBK still TBD.
CBR gets to stand on a pinnacle because of the natty, but his best 3 seasons were 7, 11, and 7 wins, with 2 wins over UGAg.. He also brought GOL and CRF to the Flats. GOL had years of 7, 10, 8, 9, and 7 wins from 1997-2001, with Gator and Peach bowls. He beat UGAg 3x. CPJ had years of 9, 11, 8, 11, and 9 wins scattered throughout, including two Orange Bowls, with Peach and Gator bowls, and beating UGAg 3x as well. I'd rate CPJ ahead of GOL, personally, though his overall WP is a bit below GOL's.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
CBR gets to stand on a pinnacle because of the natty, but his best 3 seasons were 7, 11, and 7 wins, with 2 wins over UGAg.. He also brought GOL and CRF to the Flats. GOL had years of 7, 10, 8, 9, and 7 wins from 1997-2001, with Gator and Peach bowls. He beat UGAg 3x. CPJ had years of 9, 11, 8, 11, and 9 wins scattered throughout, including two Orange Bowls, with Peach and Gator bowls, and beating UGAg 3x as well. I'd rate CPJ ahead of GOL, personally, though his overall WP is a bit below GOL's.
Yeah, GOL years were good too, but the way he left took a bit of the shine off, plus for me, as I said, it was the way we won that helped make it so enjoyable. I loved sitting in the upper north and watching the execution as the 3O marched down the field on a death March and the ‘14 orange bowl is likely my all time favorite tech football game I’ve attended!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'd rate CPJ ahead of GOL, personally, though his overall WP is a bit below GOL's.
The CPJ vs GOL debate is as hotly contested as the CBL/CGC debate is at the other end of the spectrum. Everyone has his or her personal choices in each and no one is right or wrong. The only difference is one debate is pleasant while the other is distasteful.

The two biggest 'what if' questions in the modern era imo ...what if Tony Hollings had NOT been hurt? What if CPJ or GOL had figured out the defensive issues that plagued them both?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The CPJ vs GOL debate is as hotly contested as the CBL/CGC debate is at the other end of the spectrum. Everyone has his or her personal choices in each and no one is right or wrong. The only difference is one debate is pleasant while the other is distasteful.

The two biggest 'what if' questions in the modern era imo ...what if Tony Hollings had NOT been hurt? What if CPJ or GOL had figured out the defensive issues that plagued them both?
For that brief, shinning moment, Tony Hollings was the best running back Tech ever had and one of the best backs in the country. If not for a reserve running back not having his helmet on when he was called to substitute, fate might have turned differently.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
For that brief, shinning moment, Tony Hollings was the best running back Tech ever had and one of the best backs in the country. If not for a reserve running back not having his helmet on when he was called to substitute, fate might have turned differently.
What was the Tony Hollings story?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Collins wasn't the primary signature on not letting CPJ have access...TStan had the ultimate say. CPJ alluded to it some and didn't call out Stansbury by name, and that's because they were friendly while CPJ was there, but Stansbury signed off on everything GT did that did that was anti-CPJ under Collins. Stansbury could have easily told Collins to "Cool it...there's a better way".

BTW, Stansbury and some mega donors who wanted CPJ out seem to forget that CPJ did us a favor by retiring and not just going through the motions and looking for a buyout at the end. Some of the big donors seemed to never have forgiven CPJ for thwarting their plans along with Bobinski of getting rid of CPJ...they had to eat a LOT of pride when CPJ had the 2014 season. If you're curious about how the anit-option movement started, look no further than to a group of donors that have an outsize say in our program.

Yes, we have a lot of prominent donors that arguably do more harm than good. They, along with TStan were just as big of an issue as Collins. Collins is the face of the cancer, though. We got rid of the two of the three parties causing the issues and our new AD is intentionally trying to raise funds without the need of certain prominent donors so that they no longer have the control they currently have. We have too many donors that are more interested in their personal goals as a donor than they are Georgia Tech Athletics’ overall success.

For an example that’s not CPJ-related to show this is more than an anti-option thing, one donor who always gave a hefty sum quit donating simply because he didn’t like Josh Pastner’s body language at a fundraiser. He told me he wouldn’t donate or root for us again until Pastner was gone. He’s now donating money again. That’s not a healthy situation and we rely too much on these kinds of donors because our fanbase is small.