Clemson Postgame

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If you take that game last night for example and add a competent offense, no matter if it's TO or Pro-Style or whatever, the game is competitive.

Yes recruiting of late has not been great and will probably rarely match the teams you mentioned, but success on the field will help and its not like we haven't had success before.

It could be argued that, if we'd stayed the course instead of the crazy trick play, that game was heading toward being a 1-score game in the 4th.

College football is increasingly skewed towards the factory schools and it's clear that's where the money, media and attention are all moving. To be competitive, you need a program that can generate $100mm on the revenue side. I'd love to see the The Hill either a) join hands with the GTAA see the beneficial effects of working closer together or b) cut 'em loose and let them operate more or less independently.

I think Tech can remain competitive. Maybe not win a National Championship again (let's hope). But a solid Top 25 team ... we can do that.

The "Hill" seemingly doesn't recognize sports can be a huge revenue source. Either that or they value the idea that they purposely turn their backs on it.

I don't like this idea. It takes 4-5 years to fully implement a system of play - the playbook, the recruiting, the teaching, etc. We've invested that in CPJ and if you change systems, you have to start all over. This is why we don't make progress ... we change coaches (and systems) too often.

I happen to like the spread option. It sets up well for our team and guys.

If I was judging this from a corporate view, I would say CPJ doesn't know how to be a head coach at this level. Someone said on this board that Dabo was more of a CEO and I think that's right ... at this level. Does CPJ have the depth within O, D and Special Teams to fully implement his philosophy? I don't think so.

That's why I think the new AD will help tremendously. What changes do we have to make to fully implement the Georgia Tech Way of football? Should be interesting.

I think we actually agree? I was railing against the notion of changing coaches in the post you referenced.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The "Hill" seemingly doesn't recognize sports can be a huge revenue source. Either that or they value the idea that they purposely turn their backs on it.

If you ask Alabama about football, they will say ... "“We understand that there are young people out there who first view us, or any other institution, through the window of athletics.” It's also a big factor in the sheer amount of investment Alabama has attracted. Winning works.

My only question is do we have a strength and conditioning program? If so then we need a new one with all the bigger faster stronger comments

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
It could be argued that, if we'd stayed the course instead of the crazy trick play, that game was heading toward being a 1-score game in the 4th..

I've read this entire thread and it's amazing how hardly anyone has discussed the if/then hypotheticals until kg01 here. Bear with me and I'll break it down...

First off, I'm not denying that in the 1st half Clemson kicked butt on both sides of the ball. That was probably the biggest shut-down of this offense we'll ever see. But that was just the 1st half, before some of y'all must've stopped watching. Yet somehow we were "only" down 23 at halftime, and our D adjustments held the Tigers to only 3pts in the 2nd.

That said, the INT, fumble-safety, and halftime-TD sequence was your game-clinching turning-point of the game.
--Watch the replay of Austin's INT. He had a *clear* path to the endzone if his brother had just blocked the Clemson WR. Then Griffin would've headed upfield to block Watson instead of causing that fumble, and likely we've got a pick-6 to make it 14-7. Or better yet he gets tackled at the 1 and we score at halftime to make it 14-7.
--From there our Defense stepped up to make stops for the whole 2nd half. The Mills 4th quarter TD ties it up 14-14.
--Our only turnover was that ill-fated trick play where Mills's pass got intercepted. (Once again our 2nd half D held them to just a 47-yard FG.) But if Mills had just thrown toward the outside instead of directly to the safety we've got a big gainer or possibly even a TD. I'll go with a FG here and we're ahead 17-14.

Again yes Clemson was the better team last night and deserved to win, but the chances were totally there to make the plays to steal it! And even if you don't accept this hypothetical if-then we-win scenario, our defense definitely plugged the leaks and kept us in thing. Considering how Clemson so thoroughly dominated the 1st half AND caught that huge 9-point-safety break, how can you not be pleased with the way our team kept fighting and *won* the second half?! Almost any other college football game with a 1st half like that goes on to a 40point blowout. Just ask FSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I've read this entire thread and it's amazing how hardly anyone has discussed the if/then hypotheticals until kg01 here. Bear with me and I'll break it down...

First off, I'm not denying that in the 1st half Clemson kicked butt on both sides of the ball. That was probably the biggest shut-down of this offense we'll ever see. But that was just the 1st half, before some of y'all must've stopped watching. Yet somehow we were "only" down 23 at halftime, and our D adjustments held the Tigers to only 3pts in the 2nd.

That said, the INT, fumble-safety, and halftime-TD sequence was your game-clinching turning-point of the game.
--Watch the replay of Austin's INT. He had a *clear* path to the endzone if his brother had just blocked the Clemson WR. Then Griffin would've headed upfield to block Watson instead of causing that fumble, and likely we've got a pick-6 to make it 14-7. Or better yet he gets tackled at the 1 and we score at halftime to make it 14-7.
--From there our Defense stepped up to make stops for the whole 2nd half. The Mills 4th quarter TD ties it up 14-14.
--Our only turnover was that ill-fated trick play where Mills's pass got intercepted. (Once again our 2nd half D held them to just a 47-yard FG.) But if Mills had just thrown toward the outside instead of directly to the safety we've got a big gainer or possibly even a TD. I'll go with a FG here and we're ahead 17-14.

Again yes Clemson was the better team last night and deserved to win, but the chances were totally there to make the plays to steal it! And even if you don't accept this hypothetical if-then we-win scenario, our defense definitely plugged the leaks and kept us in thing. Considering how Clemson so thoroughly dominated the 1st half AND caught that huge 9-point-safety break, how can you not be pleased with the way our team kept fighting and *won* the second half?! Almost any other college football game with a 1st half like that goes on to a 40point blowout. Just ask FSU.

Agree. You can play if scenarios all day with any game but to say we don’t ever have any chance to beat them is absurd. Even with the safety and TD at the end of the half we still had a shot in the end. I for one loved the play call where Mills threw the pick. Sometimes you roll the dice.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

This is kinda why I said I hope we turn this loss into something positive for the rest of the season, especially on D. The 2nd half showed we can be effective playing more aggressively. We brought uncommon pressure at times and *gasp* actually forced some bad throws.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This is kinda why I said I hope we turn this loss into something positive for the rest of the season, especially on D. The 2nd half showed we can be effective playing more aggressively. We brought uncommon pressure at times and *gasp* actually forced some bad throws.
We almost forced another pick in the 2nd half that could've been brought back a few yards. The D did some good things.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

And, with a pile of A backs who are former HS QBs, why ask the true freshman B-Back (not former qb) to make that throw or have judgment to throw it away if it is not there, in the biggest game of his short career?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I almost tore my hair out with the "option's been figured out" nonsense from that pencil-neck BSPN announcer. I'm like, "are you not watching the trenches?" It's men against confused boys out there. Offensive scheme did. Not. Matter. They whupped us up front. CPJ (seemingly) had to dip into the Navy playbook just to get us some air.

@kg01 AMEN!!!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have not read all of this thread. However... and 'generally'... the "ifs and buts" are a little too quick to point out bad things that did not go our way (ex.. the questionable holding call; the int/safety) and fail to mention those things that went in our favor that could have been quite disastrous. I have not seen a single mention of JT's lateral on our own 5yd line that was ruled an incomplete pass. Called correctly... that's a scoop and score for the Tigers.

We really just got beat by a better team... much better. Fortunately, we have extra time to prep for Miami and I hope in 10 days we're talking about how good it is to be 2-1 in conference play.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I have not seen a single mention of JT's lateral on our own 5yd line that was ruled an incomplete pass. Called correctly... that's a scoop and score for the Tigers.

My son was all over calling QS out on NOT falling on the ball. Said QS was lackadaisical in the approach. We were bailed out by a quick whistle from the ref.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Mark my words we will win out and beat Clemson in the acccg to ruin their undefeated season, then we will go on to the playoffs and win the whole thing. 2014 all over again the team is about to get stronger every game.

I'm not being serious, kinda :p
too late. I dispatched white coats and nets to your house already.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We actually played decent in the second half, it was the first quarter that hurt us, after that we went stride for stride with them imo. I mean honestly what did they do to out play us in the second half? We moved the ball on them, but was so far behind we had to pass more and come out of our comfort zone. Take the first quarter away and it would have been a close game. If anything I think the score reflects a game that was closer than what it was. I'm not saying we played well because we didn't on offense but I didn't think Clemson looked that good but on their D line, and that one LB.
You don't get late late. You get late early. Lose the first half like that and who cares about the cosmetic second half, when Clemson has already checked out and dialed up Louisville.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Very disappointed, I really thought we were about to turn the corner after the Vandy game. What makes it worse is a national TV audience ... I'd love to know Mr. Stansbury's thoughts !

We turned a corner all right... right into a brick wall named Clemson.