CFP Discussion

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The issue I have is the committee had FSU at 4 the week JT got hurt. Then moved them to 5th the following week when they played uf. After that win(against an unranked team), they moved them back to 4th going into the ACC Championship game (against a ranked team). So what changed?

Beating an unranked $ec team moves you up and beating a ranked ACC team moves you down?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
The issue I have is the committee had FSU at 4 the week JT got hurt. Then moved them to 5th the following week when they played uf. After that win(against an unranked team), they moved them back to 4th going into the ACC Championship game (against a ranked team). So what changed?

Beating an unranked $ec team moves you up and beating a ranked ACC team moves you down?

I think Ohio State lost and that knocked them out of the Top 4 and moved FSU up. Then FSU looked bad in the ACCCG. Read the article someone linked. It explains that the committee was watching that game and shocked when FSU couldn't get a first down.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The whole ACC is 6-4 against the SEC is lame. OK, FSU beat a weak Florida team and Wake beat Vandy. Really? This demonstrates conference dominance?

SOS matters.
Here's the whole list, not your cherry-picked one. Overall, looks like a wash to me. Three of the SEC's wins are Tenn. over Virginia, Georgia over Tech, and Ole Miss over Tech, since we're cherry-picking:

Sept. 2UNC at South CarolinaUNC wins 31-171-0
Sept. 2Virginia at TennesseeTennessee wins 49-131-1
Sept. 2LSU at Florida StateFlorida State wins 45-242-1
Sept. 9Texas A&M at Miami (FL)Miami (FL) wins 48-333-1
Sept. 9Vanderbilt at Wake ForestWake Forest wins 36-204-1
Sept. 16Georgia Tech at MississippiMississippi wins 48-234-2
Nov. 25Georgia at Georgia TechGeorgia wins 31-234-3
Nov. 25Clemson at South CarolinaClemson wins 16-75-3
Nov. 25Florida State at FloridaFlorida State wins 24-156-3
Nov. 25Kentucky at LouisvilleKentucky wins 38-316-4

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Not only do they suck, they might actually get blown out like TCU did last year. That argument is one of the more facile that I've heard in all this. It's tantamount to: "They are using their 2nd string QB so their elite defense (truly in this case, not a TFG-ism) will truly suck."
all the georgia fans at work think ugag going to win by at least 2 touchdowns easily

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I think Ohio State lost and that knocked them out of the Top 4 and moved FSU up. Then FSU looked bad in the ACCCG. Read the article someone linked. It explains that the committee was watching that game and shocked when FSU couldn't get a first down.
I read the article and it still doesn't make sense. So by ranking FSU 5th, the committee believes that FSU (as they are now) is better than uga? Better than osu? Better than oregon? BUT NOT better than an alabama team that barely won its last 2 games?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I read the article and it still doesn't make sense. So by ranking FSU 5th, the committee believes that FSU (as they are now) is better than uga? Better than osu? Better than oregon? BUT NOT better than an alabama team that barely won its last 2 games?

I assume they are saying that they get credit for their season, but aren't Top 4 worthy. After that, it really doesn't matter. I am surprised they are ahead of Uga and OSU given their performance on Saturday. I think that performance is likely what killed their chances of getting in. Really bad offensive performance at a really bad time unfortunately.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I assume they are saying that they get credit for their season, but aren't Top 4 worthy. After that, it really doesn't matter. I am surprised they are ahead of Uga and OSU given their performance on Saturday. I think that performance is likely what killed their chances of getting in. Really bad offensive performance at a really bad time unfortunately.
With their third string QB, which you pointedly ignore, along with their stifling defense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Down the pecking order, someone asked Boo Corrigan why 11-2 SMU was left out of the NY6 games for undefeated Liberty. Despite SMU having a far greater SOS, and ESPN FPI. Oh, and Liberty also had the next to last strength of schedule.

Corrigan's answer? Basically, Liberty won all of their games.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
With their third string QB, which you pointedly ignore, along with their stifling defense.

Ok, their horrid performance with their 3rd string quarterback right when the final decision was being made was probably really bad timing for them. Better? ;) 😂 I mean, it's quoted in the article that their offensive performance, with their 3rd string quarterback, was part of the reason they lost votes. I swear I'm not making this up. :rolleyes:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
As I said earlier, if Texas lost, Bama and Georgia would've both made the playoffs over FSU. They were never getting in. This was determined even before FSU ever stepped foot on the field Saturday.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Here's the whole list, not your cherry-picked one. Overall, looks like a wash to me. Three of the SEC's wins are Tenn. over Virginia, Georgia over Tech, and Ole Miss over Tech, since we're cherry-picking:

Sept. 2UNC at South CarolinaUNC wins 31-171-0
Sept. 2Virginia at TennesseeTennessee wins 49-131-1
Sept. 2LSU at Florida StateFlorida State wins 45-242-1
Sept. 9Texas A&M at Miami (FL)Miami (FL) wins 48-333-1
Sept. 9Vanderbilt at Wake ForestWake Forest wins 36-204-1
Sept. 16Georgia Tech at MississippiMississippi wins 48-234-2
Nov. 25Georgia at Georgia TechGeorgia wins 31-234-3
Nov. 25Clemson at South CarolinaClemson wins 16-75-3
Nov. 25Florida State at FloridaFlorida State wins 24-156-3
Nov. 25Kentucky at LouisvilleKentucky wins 38-316-4
Exactly. It's a wash. So why hang your hat on it?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
As I said earlier, if Texas lost, Bama and Georgia would've both made the playoffs over FSU. They were never getting in. This was determined even before FSU ever stepped foot on the field Saturday.

So all of the reporting in that article is just complete BS? How are you so sure that would be the case? Conspiracy theory? If you clearly look at it, Florida State was missing their star quarterback, looked horrible at the exact time the committee was picking teams. it’s not that complicated. 🤷🏽‍♂️

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Ok, their horrid performance with their 3rd string quarterback right when the final decision was being made was probably really bad timing for them. Better? ;) 😂 I mean, it's quoted in the article that their offensive performance, with their 3rd string quarterback, was part of the reason they lost votes. I swear I'm not making this up. :rolleyes:
You're saying what they're saying. I have no problem with the notion that you're parroting what they've said.

What they're saying makes no logical sense - iff - your intent is to actually put the four teams who accomplished the most this season into a playoff.

IMPO, this is the way it should be. Every other sport that I know of does that. But that is NOT their intent. Their intent is to schedule the most compelling games for a TV audience. To do that, they are assuming some things that may not be true and it has cost an undefeated P5 conference champ a slot in the extravaganza. They will then masquerade that this is a playoff and the winner is the NC for the season. But two teams still have a say - UGAg and FSU who were left out but play each other.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
You're saying what they're saying. I have no problem with the notion that you're parroting what they've said.

What they're saying makes no logical sense - iff - your intent is to actually put the four teams who accomplished the most this season into a playoff.

IMPO, this is the way it should be. Every other sport that I know of does that. But that is NOT their intent. Their intent is to schedule the most compelling games for a TV audience. To do that, they are assuming some things that may not be true and it has cost an undefeated P5 conference champ a slot in the extravaganza. They will then masquerade that this is a playoff and the winner is the NC for the season. But two teams still have a say - UGAg and FSU who were left out but play each other.

Their intent is not to put in the four teams who accomplished the most during the season. It is to get the best matchups for the TV show. Why don’t people understand this?🤷🏽‍♂️